Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: NEW! EA-ED LED Interior conversion "rough copy"
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 94 ED falcon

QLD, Australia

Hi guys,

I am slowly changing my dash lights from factory orange to Clear LED's in my ED.

While sourcing information i noticed most of it is for EF and EL application, so i have put together some information in regards to EA - ED's. I have chosen not to use links as once they expire they are useless, putting the ebay user name into a search will not work but you can search for sellers somewhere, best to try and enter the description in part or full. I am yet to complete all of this but will post pictures for necessary parts (i.e. not simple cluster removal).

I brought all LED's off of Ebay as there cheap from Hong Kong and if you buy from the same person post is reasonable in price and time.

Check all LED's work before putting everything back together as some types only work going in the right way. So for any that don't work take the bulb out, turn it 180, and put it back in, then see if it works. With the LED's not in a holder the longer piece is the positive side also called Anode, the other short end is like an negative known as Cathode. If it still doesn't check to see if you got the appropriate thing turned on i.e.. your parkers turned for the cluster lol. I Think that the difference between the T5 and the T10 is the width of the wedge piece, being 5mm or 10 mm but im only guessing. There are many different types with single or between 4 - 8 LED's in a single wedge. Some even have them pointing side ways, they call them a Refractor Wedge Bulb. A lot depends on how much you want to spend and how much you look around for bulk sellers.

Cluster, Clock & Console rear light.

These are a straight swap T10 12V Wedge LED. This part is still in trail as the bulbs i got are not bright enough but still usable for now. I think the ones i got are not suitable as there 24V not 12V

Current ones being used
Ebay seller: virtualvillage-au-alpha
Description: 10 White LED Dashboard Side Light Bulbs T10 168/194 24V
Price: AU $0.59 EA

Next option, waiting to arrive
Ebay seller:minierace
Description: 10 X Car White 4 LED T10 168 Bulb Wedge Light Lamp 12V
Price: AU $0.20 EA

Installation
As mentioned above once you remove the cluster (11 screws) you twist out the bulb holders remove the bulbs from the holders and slide in the LED wedge bulbs. Check they work before putting everything back together as they only work going in the right way, so take the bulb out turn it 180 and put it back in and see if it works now, if it still doesn't check to see if you got your parkers turned on lol

Aircon
Being the amiture i am, i did not know you needed resistors when using plain LED's not already in a holder

Like these,
Ebay seller: sitedv88
Description: 20pcs 5mm White LED Diode Bulb Light Lamp 15000MCD New
Price: AU $0.05 EA

So after buying some and fitting them to the A/c holders they blew...... As i already have the led's im going to d**k Smiths to ask what resistors i need and get some to fit them in a modified manner(pictures to come).

Any way, while looking for other bulbs i came across these little baby's which look like they are the ones needed for a straight swap. I measured the factory ones and they seem to be 11.4mm wide so the 12mm (T5) ones should be the goods. Only 3 are needed for the non C/C A/C.

Ebay seller: p0o0ohbear
Description: 4x Neo Wedge LED Bulbs T3 T4 T5 White Blue Red Green
Price: AU $1.73 EA

Installation
The bulbs are at the top of the A/C unit, unscrew it and carefully pull it forward a few CM till you can see the top. You will see 3 black plastic bulb holders twist these and lift them out.

Pictures
A/C bulb holders left factory and right with LED, need to redo this with a resistor shouldn't be to hard as there no limit to the depth the bulbs a resistor should only add another 5mm

Rear Demist
This is the hardest one as there is no straight swap and soldering will be needed for a proper job. I will be using the LED's mentioned earlier combined with the right resistors, as the picture on the switch has an orange tinge with won't be a clear white, to test this just use a LED torch or a really white light and you will see what you will get. Ill go ahead and fit the LED but it i wont like the look ill just leave the light out as its not needed, it shows on the cluster if its on or off and i know where it is anyway.

Ebay seller: sitedv88
Description: 20pcs 5mm White LED Diode Bulb Light Lamp 15000MCD New
Price: AU $0.05 EA

Installation

Pictures
Factory Switch dissembled

Foot wells & Boot
I decided To use these as there are flexible making for an easy install. I used 2 in the boot and 1 for ea foot well is plenty enough, again maybe even over board. The way these are made you can cut a couple of LED's off the end thus providing less light.

Ebay seller: sylvia-biz
Description: 24CM LED Car 12V Lights Strip Flexible Grill White Blue
Price: AU $1.15 EA

Installation
I decided the most appropriate way was to splice them into the stock wiring via the Fairmont series center console loom. Meaning, they only come on when the doors are opened or turned on with the factory dash switch. The boot LED's are wired straight into the factory wiring using some spade terminals for + and - so they also only come on when you open the boot.

Roof
The standard GLi unit uses a "36mm - 44mm bayonet" Bulb, these are available in LED versions but tend to have only 2 - 4 led's not giving much light, but in most cases it's enough. This light panel came with 3 choices of fittings Festoon Bayonet and Wedge. They also come in different sizes, not knowing how bright they would be i went for the larger one that filled most of the roof lens. This light seriously makes daylight of the interior at night!!! So i recommend going for a smaller panel then the 48 LED.

Ebay seller: virtualvillage-au-alpha
Description: White SMD 48-LED Light Panel for Festoon Bayonet Wedge
Price: I offered AU $7.49 and they accepted so offer less!!

Installation
Using the provided bayonet fitting to wiring is simple but getting the panel to sit in place without it just sitting on the lens is up to you. The panel comes with some quality 3M tape attached but i couldn't find a use for it.

Picture
Top left 3 bulbs for T5 fittings for cig lighter and ash tray, need resistors still
Top right demister switch with LED Still needs Resistor
Bottom left T10 LED and T10 Factory bulb
Bottom center 2 T5 Neo Wedge bulbs
Bottom right LED and bulb after removed from A/C bulb holder.

Post subject: Re: NEW! EA-ED LED Interior conversion "rough copy"
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

In regards to your aircon ones I had trouble with depth and had to use 3mm LED's with 1/8W resistors in the bottom to get them to fit in... Trouble I had with the std LED's was that the lighting was uneven and not very bright... One day when I have more money I will go with something along the lines of these:

Attachment:
img.jpg

Ebay seller: vleds (USA)
Description: 2 SMT HIGH POWER AMBER NEO WEDGE LED LIGHT BULBS T5 VS
Price: US $3.99 EA (Postage is the dear part)

SMD's have much wider beam output and will help illuminate the controls more easily...

I made up something similar to your rear demisters switch and I stood the resistor in the other hole beside the globe and linked two together and made the wires all nice and neat...

I used these in my footwells:

Attachment:
img2.jpg

Ebay seller: pip_qi
Description: 300mm 5050 SMD LED stripe light super white
Price: AU $15.00 EA

The ones you got are the clear material? I started with those and wires were that cheap and hard to strip without breaking that I got the s**t and tossed them... I bought the much dearer above ones and oh my god are they good... better quality wire, all smd 5050 LED's (180 degree light spread + 3 LED's per chip)... Much worth spending the extra few bucks for the better product IMHO...

When I re-do my boot I'll buy a 5 metre roll (will work out much cheaper in the long run) and use a section of that... Currently liking the look of these:

Attachment:
img5.jpg

Ebay seller: wholesalepub
Description: Adhesive 12V 5M 300 white 5050 SMD Car LED Strip Light
Price: AU $73.99 EA

Next my Cluster LED's are available in many places, you just need to find the best bargain... Again I only use SMD 5050 ones... These are the first I found in searches...

Attachment:
img3.jpg

Ebay seller: mix-kit
Description: 2 pcs 12V T10 W5W 5050 5 SMD LED New White Light Bulbs
Price: US $3.79 EA

And I used one of these for the rear footwell same as above but as there is the room I used the 9 chip version... This works well as when it locks in two LED's point to the right rear footwell and the other two point to the left...

Attachment:
img4.jpg

Ebay seller: superb_lights
Description: 2x 194 168 501 T10 9-SMD White 5050 LED Car Light Bulb
Price: US $9.99 EA

In regards to you not realising that LED's only run on 3 to 4 volts typically for high mcd ones, the formula you require is:

R = (Vs - Vl) / I

Where:

R = Resistor required in ohms
Vs = Voltage of supply in volts
Vl = Voltage of LED in volts
I = Forward Current of LED in milliamps

Without a resistor the LED registers a very low resistance in a circuit and draws a huge amount of current all in one go and burns out...

Just gotta add my new interior light which is in the mail bellow...

Cheers,
Tim

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

This baby will be my new interior light when it turns up (trouble with hong kong)

Attachment:
2500053-0.jpg

Again my preferred SMD 5050 Led's and enough to sink a ship... The strips I put in my footwells outdid the old LED interior light so I went in search of a 5050 one... Found this for a steal so I'll give it a whirl...

Ebay seller: tinxi-world
Description: Car Interior Dome 12 SMD 5050 LED Light Bulb Lamp 41mm
Price: AU $4.50 EA

Also the interior light you said was a "bayonet" the map lights are small bayonet bulbs, however the 41mm long round interior light is called "festoon"

Lastly my T5's for the cig and ash tray are your run of the mill ones and work quite fine...

Attachment:
t1x.jpg

Ebay seller: warden_jp2002
Description: 2pcs T5 Wide Angle LED (Xenon White) Dash Wedge Bulb
Price: AU $1.75 EA

Photo of these items installed in my car can viewed in my build thread (see my sig)... Some are yet to get items but will add photos in my build thread as I do...

Cheers,
Tim

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

Subject: NEW! EA-ED LED Interior conversion "rough copy"

itlookslikeaxr6 wrote:
Foot wells & Boot
I decided To use these as there are flexible making for an easy install. I used 2 in the boot and 1 for ea foot well is plenty enough, again maybe even over board. The way these are made you can cut a couple of LED's off the end thus providing less light.

Ebay seller: sylvia-biz
Description: 24CM LED Car 12V Lights Strip Flexible Grill White Blue
Price: AU $1.15 EA

Installation
I decided the most appropriate way was to splice them into the stock wiring via the Fairmont series center console loom. Meaning, they only come on when the doors are opened or turned on with the factory dash switch. The boot LED's are wired straight into the factory wiring using some spade terminals for + and - so they also only come on when you open the boot.

Hey mate, I'm looking to do this in my EL Fairmont,
Putting the strips on my footwell...

But Im not quite sure on how to "splice" them into the centre console loom...
How would I go about doing that?

Blue blooded.

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-24CM-PVC- ... 2234wt_905

These being the two I would use

Blue blooded.

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I'd stay away from those ones... I tried to use them for mine and I had so much trouble trying to strip the wire I ended up throwing them out... The wire was so fine every time I stripped the insulation it'd break the wire off... And SMD5050 diodes far surpass the cheaper and more primitive standard 3 or 5mm diodes...

As far as splicing it in... There is a 6 pin plug in behind where your cd player goes which plugs into the centre console... Use a test light... find the wire that is powered all the time and the wire which is only ground when the doors are open and that's the two you need... Be aware there is a wire which is only powered with parkers on... This is for the gear stick light... And there is a wire which is always grounded... Again it is for the gearstick light...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
I'd stay away from those ones... I tried to use them for mine and I had so much trouble trying to strip the wire I ended up throwing them out... The wire was so fine every time I stripped the insulation it'd break the wire off... And SMD5050 diodes far surpass the cheaper and more primitive standard 3 or 5mm diodes...

As far as splicing it in... There is a 6 pin plug in behind where your cd player goes which plugs into the centre console... Use a test light... find the wire that is powered all the time and the wire which is only ground when the doors are open and that's the two you need... Be aware there is a wire which is only powered with parkers on... This is for the gear stick light... And there is a wire which is always grounded... Again it is for the gearstick light...

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks a heap, I'll stick to the SMD5050's.
I'll try on Mum's EF station wagon first.... haha

Cheers,
Russ.

Blue blooded.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

n00b question just making my order , is it a T5 or T10 that goes in the gear selector holder for the auto's

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

t10 on ea to ed. not sure on ef to el.

cheers,
tim

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
t10 on ea to ed. not sure on ef to el.

cheers,
tim

maddd just bought $16 worth of LED's from hong kong

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF11 Gli , EF Mont

VIC, Australia

Its old thread but EF/EL is a T10 for the gear select/ footwell lights. Also for the Demister/Power antenna switches there is a ebay seller doing Led's already on the carrier in about four different colours so far for about $9.95. Messgae me if you want contact details

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:17 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
When I re-do my boot I'll buy a 5 metre roll (will work out much cheaper in the long run) and use a section of that... Currently liking the look of these:

Attachment:
img5.jpg

Ebay seller: wholesalepub
Description: Adhesive 12V 5M 300 white 5050 SMD Car LED Strip Light
Price: AU $73.99 EA

Cheers,
Tim

holy bat shiit!!! $74 ........ i bought sum white not long ago .. price is down to about $16 with same in red for $12.50 [including postage] .. what a differance a few years makes aye

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

yuckkkk

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

that's how mine turned out with T10 9 SMD LEDs :(

in real life it looks a fair bit better have not driven with it yet but i had to "bench grind" the bottom connector bit the crame these ones in alot brighter then other LEDs all up costed me about $6 excluding the a/c i cbf undoing the "wiring etc"

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]