Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: AU OFFSET CONVERSION ANY HELP / INFO APPRECIATED
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I've been told you car run AU onwards wheels on a ED without spacers but you need to change the front end?
Can anybody tell me what parts i need as i already have the AU stub axels (the bit from bottom ball joint and including top wishbone with shims and bolts) but i dont have the rotars or calipers or shock/spring strut does anyone know if that will be a problem? Can i use my slotted rotors and my ED callipers on the AU stub axels? i can also get the LSD diff out of the car too if i need to fit that as well

any help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has done this before and have a doco on it or i can do one up as i do it as well as ill be a doco on the AU motor with VCT and manual conversion too with plenty of pics

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Post subject: Re: AU OFFSET CONVERSION ANY HELP / INFO APPRECIATED
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Anyone? can i just change the stubs over from ED to AU and use my ED rotors and use AU mags? or is the offset difference in the Rotor its self not the stub axle ?

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

the only AU conversion i have seen involved fitting a complete AU k-frame and suspension to an EF fairmont.

u can buy brake upgrade kits too which have the AU offset, they use a modified upright

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Well firstly I'm sure if you had done a search you would have found your answer as someone asked pretty much the exact same question before.
Secondly this thread should be in the Suspension & Driveline area as it has nothing to do with 6cyl's.
Finally, no, you cant just do that. You need custom uprights, or the entire AU front end.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Oh really gees im sorry and yes i did a search but never turned up anything that gave me a deffinate answer thats why i posted it and thanks for letting me know now i know its not worth the hassle i wont bother about it !!!!

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

With the front end you have 2 choices:

1) Fit after market brake set up with AU offset, need to be engineered.

2) Complete AU front end, if you do this use an AUII or AUIII front as they have better brake setup, AUI are no better than the E series. Again needs to be engineered. This will stiffen up the front end of the ED and also allow the fitting of the AU engine without any sump mods. AU high pressure hose will be needed for the power steer and other small things.
You can't use ED rotors on the AU stubs as the E sereis are Hub & Disc set up and the AU onwards have seperate Hub & Disc.

With the rear you can fit either the standard Diff from an AU or you can go all out and Fit an IRS unit from a late nodel AU. IRS will need to be engineered, I doubt the AU diff would need to be but may be wrong due to the change in offset.

Hope that is of some help.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]