Fordmods Logo

Auto service time? I hope so... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Auto service time? I hope so...
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:58 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

Lately when cold, while accelerating the revs go up, and the car doesnt accelerate, then all of a sudden engages and away I am again. This continues for the first few minutes of driving, but seems to be getting worse as time goes by. Shifts fine... So, whats the diagnosis? Is the box on its way out, or is it something a service may fix? And on that note, service kits from ebay - any good? If not, I suppose Repco and the like?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Auto service time? I hope so...
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

sounds like the box is on its way out but a service may be all she needs fingers crossed

if the bar aint bendin your just pretendin

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:45 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Box is low in fluid.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: DC LTD V8

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Box is low in fluid.

this guy knows whats up

DC LTD V8 pure style

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hmm we gave my housemates tranny a service and after that it will randomly put itself in neutral for a few seconds then bang into gear, regardless if its hot or cold...
it doesnt flare gears or anything gay like that, just yeah the random neutral episode...

dont have much experiance with these boxes, whats a sure sign that they are on their way out?

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Could be a fluid issue low or dirty tranny flluid or something else. Ive got a similar problem when accelerating from a low speed like 30-40kms it revs out and kicks back to first gear very harshly, sometimes even chirping the wheels depending on how much gas i give it. New filter and oil didnt fix it though and the oil in the box previously was still fine before the service. Think im in for a rebuild or another box :?

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Sounds like your all not checking and filling the oil in your auto's correctly.

Correct method is:

1. Car on stands, completely level
2. Engine and box must be warm and engine running
3. Cycle through gears
4. If your brave, this should be done in Drive
5. Undo plug
6. Fill until fluid comes out
7. Plug back on

Reason for this is when the auto is cool/cold, fluid drains back from the converter into the sump of the box. Gives you incorrect readings, by as much as 1.5l

Reason your autos are seemingly s**t themselves is:

1. Your driving slow or steady
2. You accelerate a bit or alot
3. Fluid is forced to back of box away from pickup
4. No oil pickup, trans no go, acceleration pauses
5. Car slow down, oil starts being picked up... All of a sudden car bang into gear, chip wheels and go again.

Your auto's could be f**k, but I'd be looking at this real cheap simple fix first.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I know my Auto's f**k for sure though :lol:. Has done over 200,000kms now so its due for a birthday lol. Fluid level is fine and is still bright red. The auto has a new filter and has been flushed, and that didnt make the slightest difference at all. And it happens whether its hot or cold, when it changes back to first gear, and only first gear, and will do it no matter how hard or soft the accelerator is applied. Can even feel it jerk back to first from second when slowing down to a complete stop. Thats gotta be f**k for sure :evil:

Either way if you havent had the auto serviced, do that first before you go and get it reco'd or anything. First off though check the oil level as arm79 has suggested. The method he's described is spot on :wink:

Quote:
but seems to be getting worse as time goes by.

Do you mean it gets worse after you've driven for a while and its all warmed up? Or did you mean its gradually been getting worse over time?

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

arm79 thanks heaps mate!
i knew m mate didnt fill the trans properly when he did the service lol
ill check the fluid in my housemates car when gets back from a drive.

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
I know my Auto's f**k for sure though :lol:. Has done over 200,000kms now so its due for a birthday lol. Fluid level is fine and is still bright red. The auto has a new filter and has been flushed, and that didnt make the slightest difference at all. And it happens whether its hot or cold, when it changes back to first gear, and only first gear, and will do it no matter how hard or soft the accelerator is applied. Can even feel it jerk back to first from second when slowing down to a complete stop. Thats gotta be f**k for sure :evil:

Either way if you havent had the auto serviced, do that first before you go and get it reco'd or anything. First off though check the oil level as arm79 has suggested. The method he's described is spot on :wink:

Quote:
but seems to be getting worse as time goes by.

Do you mean it gets worse after you've driven for a while and its all warmed up? Or did you mean its gradually been getting worse over time?

Cheers for all the help guys. Kwikxr, I mean when it first started happening I was like "Did my car just stutter?" and is now progressing too, "yes, revs are definitely increasing and its definitely not driving". Won't notice a thing after a few minutes, and is generally only on the first start for the day. Thought I better get onto it soon though. So guess I'll try and get around to servicing it this weekend...

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Shockwave BA XR6

Power: 152 rwkw

VIC, Australia

[quote="KWIKXR"]I know my Auto's f**k for sure though :lol:. Has done over 200,000kms now so its due for a birthday lol. Fluid level is fine and is still bright red. The auto has a new filter and has been flushed, and that didnt make the slightest difference at all. And it happens whether its hot or cold, when it changes back to first gear, and only first gear, and will do it no matter how hard or soft the accelerator is applied. Can even feel it jerk back to first from second when slowing down to a complete stop. Thats gotta be f**k for sure :evil:

Not necessarily is it stuffed try changing the neutral safty switch with another one and see if that makes any difference no guarantees but it might fix your problem

Arm79's method is spot on i should know as im the one who taught it to him

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Brett 4777 wrote:
Not necessarily is it stuffed try changing the neutral safty switch with another one and see if that makes any difference no guarantees but it might fix your problem

Thanks Brett!! :mrgreen:
That's one thing that hasnt crossed my mind for a while, when i noticed it doing it at first i thought of replacing the inhibitor switch after i was told by a guy at the gearbox place it was the TPS at fault, replaced the TPS but never got round to replacing the inhibitor switch and have since forgoten about that completely. Have also been told by another guy it might be a worn c4 clutch. Dunno if it'll fix the issue seeing as it only does it going back to first but its definately worth a shot, electronics can cause funny s**t to happen :lol: . Have tried cleaning all the terminals on the plugs etc previosuly but to no avail so i guess thats a job for today, get one from the wreckers and swap it over. Cheers.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]