Brake pads 

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: brake pads
Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA MkII XR8

TAS, Australia

i put a set of ac delco pads in the front of mine when i first got the car just as a temporary thing and they work fairly well with barely any dust, which isn't bad for what they cost (about $70 retail i think) and they don't seem to be caning the rotors yet

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Daniel wrote:
data_mine wrote:
Spork wrote:
I just got my brakes redone:

DBA Slotted Disks up front. Lucas Pads front and rear. brake caliper service and fluid flush + wheel bearings = $645 from ABS brakes.

At light brake applications the car feels about the same as stock, but as soon as you press a little harder or speeds over 60 km/h you can really feel the difference.

Pads were about $70 a pair front or rear, no squealing, no dust (yet), no big difference when they are cold.

Hope that helps.

You'll get s**t loads of dust, especially if you like to hit 'em a little hard. My wheels take about two weeks to change colour :(

When i picked up the fbt it had some race style copper pads on it, AWESOME brakeing for std rotors that were shot and the brake dust would send the rims BLACK and i mean BLACK within an hour of normal driving; i gave up cleaning them in the end, had to carry a rag around for brake dust, shocking!

Yeah as a followup the wheels do get pretty dirty. but more like after a week or two rather than an hour! But otherwise good stopping power. Still suprises me sometimes on the freeway. Although for some reason the 1st stop I do gives poor braking performance and then after that its better.

-Could that be the groved disks cleaning the pads?

But yeah harder pedal with enough 'feel' and almost no fade with the driving I do - medium braking mostly
Already saved the life of some kid that ran out infront of my car so well worth the money IMO! :shock:

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

If you dont machince your discs when u change pads sometimes the pads can take a while to bed in to the contour of the rotor. Give you a spongy brake pedal and reduced feel.

The Bendix ultimate dont stop you any better than the advanced. But what they will do is keep stopping you if you are really hard on the brakes.

They also chew rotors and spit out heaps of dust. I had a set in the XR8 and they lasted me 80 k klms......was very happy with that. Compared to less than 7k for some cheaper brands.

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

i just use bendix standards, its only a fairmont. they dont chop the rotors and dont dust much. bedding in is braking slightly at no more than 50km/ph and not holding brakes on at a complete stop after braking (you get hot spots) so basically work the brakes on and off around the back streets till they wear in. if rotors are like a crinkle cut chip its cause the pads have been down to steel or have caught a stone.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3