Fordmods Logo

BTR 4 speed auto TRANSMISSION CONTROLLER 

Page 6 of 16 [ 230 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

The only controller in the BTR 4 speed auto is a saftey 3rd gear limp home mode, other then that the gearbox is as thick as 2 bricks.

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

OK, from what I can see the FET's at the left are for controlling the on/off solenoids and the one bottom right is for the S5 (I'm assuming this due to the layout of components) the relay in the bottom left corner will be the power rail for the FET's as obviously you don't want the fets connected to battery power when the car is stopped and it will need serious current to run all the solenoids, hence a relay.

What we need is a way to read whats on the eeprom, and more importantly we need to design/buy an eeprom emulator, that will plug in where the eeprom currently is, and hooks up to a laptop. We then use the bin dump and emulate the eeprom. Install the trans controller in a car, and start watching what acceses where and when, then slowly you get a feel for where maps are stored and start trying to make a few slight changes and see what affects what. This is basically how the tweecer started with the EEC, its trial and error and takes a long time, but unless someone has a complete set of code for the trans computer thats the only way.

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Delta wrote:
OK, from what I can see the FET's at the left are for controlling the on/off solenoids and the one bottom right is for the S5 (I'm assuming this due to the layout of components) the relay in the bottom left corner will be the power rail for the FET's as obviously you don't want the fets connected to battery power when the car is stopped and it will need serious current to run all the solenoids, hence a relay.

What we need is a way to read whats on the eeprom, and more importantly we need to design/buy an eeprom emulator, that will plug in where the eeprom currently is, and hooks up to a laptop. We then use the bin dump and emulate the eeprom. Install the trans controller in a car, and start watching what acceses where and when, then slowly you get a feel for where maps are stored and start trying to make a few slight changes and see what affects what. This is basically how the tweecer started with the EEC, its trial and error and takes a long time, but unless someone has a complete set of code for the trans computer thats the only way.

hi

from ur last statement " unless someone has a complete set of code for the trans computer thats the only way. "

What other method can be used to obtain " set of codes "

the codes should be on the microprocessor is there a program that can extract the codes from the microprocessor ?

by reading the eeprom with a eprom reader we will see alot of ones and zeros , is it possible to conver the ones and zeros to common english ?

Delta seems u have some elctronics back ground from some of ur writing in here have u used a emulater ??

cheers

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

IMO it would be a hell of a lot easier just to build your own unit and stick the same plug on it.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
IMO it would be a hell of a lot easier just to build your own unit and stick the same plug on it.

when do u want to start

why go to the headaches of rebuilding a microprocessor when one is already there

the program is in it , just a case of hacking it LOL

cheers

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Reverse engineering is only a worthwhile effort when it is to hard to build the unit. I have glanced over the solenoid signals for the various gear changes and it doesnt seem like building from scratch is hard at all. There are very few inputs to consider (tps and rpm), you know the outputs, it doenst require much processing, I dont get why you would bother reverse engineering.

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18280
INTERCOOLERS
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19004
TURBO GT T35/4R
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... 661#313661

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
Reverse engineering is only a worthwhile effort when it is to hard to build the unit. I have glanced over the solenoid signals for the various gear changes and it doesnt seem like building from scratch is hard at all. There are very few inputs to consider (tps and rpm), you know the outputs, it doenst require much processing, I dont get why you would bother reverse engineering.

IT'S there already thats why and u still have to write a algarithm ot run the new processor ur talking about building

there my thoughts , how keen are you tho ????? to build one

cheers

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

FPV_GTp wrote:
stockstandard wrote:

IT'S there already thats why and u still have to write a algarithm ot run the new processor ur talking about building

cheers

I would build one if I had a use for it.

Im just saying that changing what is there might seem like an easy option at first glance, but it could easily turn into a big time waster.

But you never know, you could get lucky.

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
FPV_GTp wrote:
stockstandard wrote:

cheers

I would build one if I had a use for it.

Im just saying that changing what is there might seem like an easy option at first glance, but it could easily turn into a big time waster.

But you never know, you could get lucky.

LOL not going to hold my breath on " But you never know, you could get lucky " will not count on the lucky part

seems i will have to learn hacking method makes more practical sense

there is a market out there for the controller heaps of guys racing there falcons equiped with BTR 4 speed automatics and there are few nice components being made now for them

not to mention the guys that have early model falcons wanting a overdive 4 speed for there street cruisers

cheers

Last edited by FPV_GTp on Fri May 05, 2006 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

To answer your question yes I've used an eeprom emulator, but no I don't own one.

By code I meant the source code for the microprocessor, in uncompiled format :) so yes by doing a dump of the eeprom you get the code and maps the whole box and dice, but its compiled to binary, optimised etc, depending on the compiler etc. Its MUCH harder to reverse compile than people think. So it comes down to watching for loops in memory addresses being followed to find the code, and look for the changing but close addresses (the maps). VERY hit and miss.

There is more than one way to reverse engineer a system though and to be honest it would be much easier to replace the controller with a custom built one, however what you CAN do is first build the replacement controller to measure the inputs and outputs, and log them. Ie start logging, drive car do a 1-2 shift, then do it at higher throttle etc. So basically you get a log of what inputs create what outputs for each gear change. This gives you starting points for "mapping" your new system.

Once you think you have all the required data to build the system you remove all the intrumentation amplifiers associated with measuring the outputs and design your own outputs. Then using the data you logged, you develop algorithms and maps for the new system, and plug it in. Then you fine tune/debug. Once your happy that the system mimics the old system you start playing with things to make it better, ie add a sequential/manualisation mode, change line pressure, change shift firmness etc etc.

As to my background, I have a degree in electronic engineering, and currently I'm doing a PhD in the same area, but I've not had extensive experience in the work place, nor have I had ANY experience building this type of automotive system. My major is in communication systems, mostly photonics and wireless systems. I've built plenty of other random stuff like audio gear etc.

A transmission controller can be either very simple (sequential manualised, no compensations) to very very complex (adaptive auto, compensations for gradient, temp, measured line pressure, input torque etc etc etc)

Unfortunately even though right now I could REALLY use a trans comp (car has just been turbo'd) due to my PhD commitments I don't have time to build/program/debug/test something that large. If nothing becomes available in the next yr or so (rumours of a megashift) then I'll have a go at designing one from scratch.

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

NSW, Australia

decompiling code really is harder than it sounds. You will need the operation codes for that spoecific processor, then you will need to learn about those insutrctions, their sizes, and then the common adresses of the processor, and knowing ford, there won't be any information on that processor.

Then you gotta build a decompiler, and then find some meaningful variable names, and the list goes on and on.....

But not impossible.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok

sounds all interesting wil have to do some homework as well

i heard a remour about megasquirt tranny controller , see what happens

it's a pit all u guys are so far away

cheers

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

NSW, Australia

you heard of a rumour of a megasquirt controller for a falcon auto?? or are you talking about the MegaShift.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

heard a rumour the MegaSquirt group of people are working a some form of transmission controller not just dedicated for BTR 4 speeds , i under the ussumption it will be some form of unversal kit

cheers

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 16  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next