Fordmods Logo

Can I register a car if ABS is OFF ? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Can I register a car if ABS is OFF ?
Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:27 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hi, purchased an ED Futura. Check ABS light has been on since Day 1.
Rebuilt the calipers and flushed the brakelines clean, but "CHECK ABS" light isn't dissapearing. I tried flipping the car into DIAG mode, using a spaded female speaker connector. When I connect the spade to the
"ABS GND" and "ABS STI", nothings seems to happen. Also the radio is switching itself on so I'm presuming some sort of an electrical failure somewhere.

I have two questions.

1) Will I get knocked back for rego if the CHECK ABS light is on?
2) Is there anything I can do to track down the reason for the diag not starting?

Thanks in advance.

P.S> Love the forum!

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:17 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

Some 6 months ago i had a chat with the "vic roads" technical department specifically about installing ABS brakes in a EF GLi without ABS. Can be done but i needed to get the car inspected by a Ford dealer and have Ford provide written conformation that the install was done to factory specs before it could be accepted by vic roads. On the flip side, vic roads seemed to not accept removing ABS from a vehicle that originally had it installed - their view was if it was installed it must work but they couldn't clearly state why they had this point of view :?

Your best bet is to talk directly with the tech guys within your state road transport department and get it straight from the horses mouth.

If you needed a road worthy when you bought your car the brake system should have been checked as part of the road worthy, ABS is part of brake system. As it never worked you may have recourse to get the ABS fixed by the guy who did the road worthy. Again the tech guys would help with that :)

As a final note, you could just remove the ABS warning lamp and not many would be the wiser but nobody on this forum would do such a thing 8-)

Cheers

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Try checking the sensors on the wheel, and that the slots arent full of s**t, that the sensors read.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:18 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Heh, that light's history.
I'm going to remove it, and hang it around my neck like a trophy.
More seriously though I do agree and suspect the computer. I've learnt from this forum that it's a relativly painless swapover, so looking forward to sourcing a cheap working unit.

Would there be a diagram for the wheel sensors mentioned in this thread, no doubt they've packed it in too.

Another reason which leads me to believe the computer is f*&$^d, is that it just won't switch into diag mode.

Thanks for your help guys.
Is there anyone out there who knows how to get my ABS STI working?

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:18 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hmm, to the mods, this was an accidental double post. There is a mod at phpBB.com to prevent this. Also, Great site/forum too ;)

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Yeah ABS computer is f**k, I just got my car registered last week. I just pulled the globe out and it all passed fine!

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Haha.. Im glad im not the only one.

After the fire in the EB Ghia we found that the ABS light was on. We assume its after the water which got in from the fireys putting out the fire and has f**k up the computer (which sits directly below the hole which was in the windscreen!

So the logical thing to do for the blue slip was remove the globe ;)

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

But just because it was logical doesnt mean you did it, isnt that right BRAD! Seriously, abs is there for a reason, and if you do just remove the light, make sure you get it fixed soon! It may just be an error, or the sensors might be telling you something!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Post subject: Sweet.
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yeh No worries and I agree with getting it fixed for sure.
However it isn't really viable at the moment, seeing as I have like 7 days until rego. Will slip it ASAP and hope for the utmost.

Great replies and thanks for your help guys.
Looking forward to replacing the ABS unit and ECU (if that's the computer)

Cheers,
By the way, what caused the fire lol!

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

You may get an error code if you remove the light. In my WRX i had the same problem - factory couldn't find problem but offered to swap the whole system for couple of grand!
I fixed it by leaving the globe in place annd just crushing the glass part of the globe. That way the computer still thinks there is a globe their but it just doesnt work anymore. Not sure whether removing globe will cause a problem but this is what i had to do with the subaru.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: Futura

WA, Australia

check the slots in the back of your disks that the wheel sensors read, they could just be fulla crap and the sensor on the wheel thinks that the wheel is locked so ti turns itself off.

i know this happens when i cut up with brakes on, or use handbrake, abs goes mental and goes f**k im outta here,

a few hard brakes later on bitumen resets the abs and it works again.

abs sensors in the rear are either on the axle in the housing in open centre diff, or like a cog behind the disk on lsd diff.

could have chipped the cog or something i dunno

94 ED Futura, 5spd, RPM clutch,3.27 LSD, PH4480 pacemakers, 2.5'' Supercat, STG 2 Wade1004-112 advanced16degrees, XH intake K&N panel,pedders superlows, Expursuit puter. clearindicators, volvoTT thermofan
15.3@146kph
Alpine deck,splits,rears, clarion amp P1Crossfire subboofa, tint

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

if your that worried about it and cant afford to fix it then just take out the abs globe in the cluster

Post subject: Hmm,
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:10 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hmm yeah ok. Thought I already said I was gonna rip it out and hang it around my neck in some sort of Aussie Male "Kill the little light" ritual...

Anyhowz thanks for the info about locating the sensors. Those of you who own ED's, can you verify that the pins for DIAG are 3rd from the left top and bottom ? Every time I jump em with a spade connector, Nothing happens.

Thanks again.

P.S. Perhaps we can all go to a "CHECK ABS" light support group..

Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]