Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: diff question
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:01 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 93 EB xr6

VIC, Australia

Hey,
Im a bit confused with wat diff centres i can/cant use.
I wanna put an LSD in my single pegger EB series 1.
What gears will fit ? Or am i just better of buying a whole second hand diff. thanks

1993 EB XR6 Factory 5spd-2.5" exhaust w/ dump pipe-Genuine BA XR8 18" wheels-K&N filter-Momo Steering Wheel-Pioneer Head Unit-Sony 12" Sub-Pioneer 600w MonoBlock 4ch Amp- Xplod 6x9's-Superlowed
FOR SALE BA XR8 18" GENIUNE 0433006707

Post subject: Re: diff question
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:17 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Falcon

WA, Australia

Any gear ratios will fit just a matter of finding them.... The most common is 3.45 ratio for the LSD.
As for the LSD thats all legal in every state. Where in most states Mini spools/Full spools and
in some cases Detroit Lockers/Air lockers are not aloud.

You will be able to find a second hand LSD on these forms, very common. If you ask around on the forms you will also find someone that can be trusted to rebuild/Freshen up the diff for the right price.

Its a very good conversions you will never look back.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:19 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 93 EB xr6

VIC, Australia

yeh mate, im an apprentice mechanic so i can learn how to re shim and that s**t at work. just was a bit confused coz of all the borg warner 75 and 78 series not fitting this but fitting that. yeh 3:45 are standard xr6 gears arent they ??

1993 EB XR6 Factory 5spd-2.5" exhaust w/ dump pipe-Genuine BA XR8 18" wheels-K&N filter-Momo Steering Wheel-Pioneer Head Unit-Sony 12" Sub-Pioneer 600w MonoBlock 4ch Amp- Xplod 6x9's-Superlowed
FOR SALE BA XR8 18" GENIUNE 0433006707

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:02 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I cant remember the model designations, but you'll find the older housings for the 2.77, 2.92 and 3.08 (even upto EL) won't fit an LSD in them. The housing is physically too small.

You'd be better off finding a complete 3.45 from an EB2/ED (or EF/EL if your feeling creative) and bolting that in.

You'll end up needing new rear lower control arms as the bushes are a different size, but overall its a s**t less hassle I think.

And you'll end up with a stronger diff in general.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

i think its the 3.23 diff and up that they fit

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:13 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

your EBI will also have a 25 spline Single Spinner Centre...

The EBII onward have 28 spline centres... so if you end up with a 28 spline centre then you'll need the axles to suit...

My opinion, its quicker and easier to buy a whole diff, esp if your in a capital city... You guys can get them a dime a dozen for the right money... I'm 5 hours from the nearest major city...

There is a lot of time and stuffing around in re-building a diff (the old man is a mechanic and roughly talked me through it...) Alright if you know what your doing... But there is a lot things that need to be measured like preloads, backlash, toe & heel, face & flank to name some...

Worst part is if you get it together and you can't get the measurements right by shimming the crown wheel, then you have to pull it to bits and change the shims on the pinion again, everytime this needs to be done you require a new colapsable washer as they are one use only... You need a vast array of tools for it too...

If you up to it, then it would be a great learning experience... But if you buy a nice tight complete 28 spline diff and make up the spacers for the lower control arms, then you have the later housings and much stronger diff all up...

As mentioned mini & full spools are illegal along with Detroit lockers...

You other option which I am fairly sure is legal is a centre that goes inside your single spinner centre and makes it work on the same principal as a detroit but its not as hard or violent...

The are sold by 4wd systems australia...

I own one and am waiting for the old man to get his diff spreader back to put it in still... I posted pics and did a right up on how it works in another forum...

gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/locka-4wd-diffs-t88690.html?hilit=locka

Please note that this is a 28 spline centre...

Just some food for thought...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:44 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 Ford Eb Series 2

arm79 wrote:
I cant remember the model designations, but you'll find the older housings for the 2.77, 2.92 and 3.08 (even upto EL) won't fit an LSD in them. The housing is physically too small.

You'd be better off finding a complete 3.45 from an EB2/ED (or EF/EL if your feeling creative) and bolting that in.

You'll end up needing new rear lower control arms as the bushes are a different size, but overall its a s**t less hassle I think.

And you'll end up with a stronger diff in general.

yeah i would go along with what arm79 is saying buy a complete diff mine was modified to fit an X series falcon so we changed the breather part from my old diff then bolted it all up and noticed the sway bar was an absolute pain in the a** to put on..Lets just say Jamming bolts & Using a jack handle to crank up the sway bar is probally not the best way to go about doing the job, BUT it works Great XD Just make sure you change them bushes or you will lose your mind :lol:

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Oh, and I forgot. You'll also need a new tailshaft if you go down the new diff path.

But there are plenty of them around and can be had for almost nothing.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

arm79 wrote:
Oh, and I forgot. You'll also need a new tailshaft if you go down the new diff path.

But there are plenty of them around and can be had for almost nothing.

Wait wait new tail shaft? what do you mean lol..I changed from my stock single spinner to 3.45 and kept the same Tailshaft (from ed) & im still usin it. what do u mean by its gotta be changed? :shock: lol

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

because of the difference between EA-EBI diffs and EBII-AU diffs... The lower control arms changed size, the tail shaft uni size and flange changed size, the numbers of splines changes... The EBII onward diff is a much stronger diff...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

timmytimtim wrote:
because of the difference between EA-EBI diffs and EBII-AU diffs... The lower control arms changed size, the tail shaft uni size and flange changed size, the numbers of splines changes... The EBII onward diff is a much stronger diff...

Cheers,
Tim

hmm?..sooo which category would that put me in I got a Ed tailshaft cuz some **** smashed mine with a hammer & i had to pay for the ed shaft :roll: i know the sway bar at the back was a pain to get on because i had to lift the sway bar up by using leverage from a pole and then we bolted it in.
hmm dont think RWC would see the bolts but yehhh..what do u think :roll:
3.45 LSD with ED tail shaft (Still using same tailshaft as my single spinner)

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

You have your ride listed as an EBII in the side bar?

You therefore have the wider lower control arms... 28 spline centre (you've changed to an ED diff anyway, but still 28 spline) and the larger flange on the diff...

Your EBII is identical looking to an ED, and EF, EL and some AU's...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

timmytimtim wrote:
You have your ride listed as an EBII in the side bar?

You therefore have the wider lower control arms... 28 spline centre (you've changed to an ED diff anyway, but still 28 spline) and the larger flange on the diff...

Your EBII is identical looking to an ED, and EF, EL and some AU's...

Cheers,
Tim

idenitcal looking as ef el & au ? im lost :shock:

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

EBII, ED, EF, EL, & AUI all had the same live axle diff's...

Except for maybe handbrake cable mounts :?

Otherwise physically looked pretty much identical... The centres are interchangeable, the gears are interchangeable and the axles are interchangeable...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED futura

NSW, Australia

a lokka will fit into my 3.08? cheering. let us know how yours goes.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next