Fordmods Logo

ef into el suspension and drivline compatabilty 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: ef into el suspension and drivline compatabilty
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

ok i know the ef and el have different geometries .
if you put an ef diff in an el and vice versa it will have bad angles and grind ,handbrake problems ect.
i have a whole el custom suspension and drivline and a straight ef sitting in front of me.
what if i change the whole diff, watts linkage plus both trailing arms lower and upper and hand brake el into ef
would that be an effective conversion ????

what about k frame and front spindles ect do they fit ??
thanx for your help people

Post subject: Re: ef into el suspension and drivline compatabilty
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

K frame is the same EF/EL. the upper front arms are the same but there may be a little difference with the lower arms. The spindles were the same when you could get them. The strut rods are different but the sway bar is the same.

From what I can make out, the rear lower arms are the same EF/EL but the upper ones are not. The Watts-Link is the same as are the Shocks. Springs also are the same..
Would appear that the REAR handbrake cable is different and the front NOT but, The handbrake Lever has a different number but the handbrake assembly on the rear diff is the same as are the mounting plates and the Calipers.

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

thanx papa smurf .
i had previously read that there is a difference in length in the rear arms .
which had me wondering if the el rear would fit into an ef.
i.e longer arms correct diff sag
i also know from experience the watts linkage is different to what diff cover it uses.

is it just the arms that differ as in the case of the watts link or are rear axle and body mounting points different/ anyone care to elaborate??

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

mystro wrote:
thanx papa smurf .
i also know from experience the watts linkage is different to what diff cover it uses.

is it just the arms that differ as in the case of the watts link or are rear axle and body mounting points different/ anyone care to elaborate??

The 2 main arms are the same for EF/EL/AU (Fairlane and LTD different) regardless of Diff cover and go back to XE falcon. The actual centre link that the two arms bolt to are the same from EA-EL. The bracket at the from of the Upper arm is the same as far back as EA but there may be a slight difference in the Diff brackets.

Ford lists the EL upper arms for the EA/EB/ED ELTVE 5A803A L/H and ELTVE 5501A R/H. They also suit the AU XR Live Axle.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

OK.

The EL GLi, Futura, Fairmont all have shorter rear upper control arms than the tickford (XR and Ghia) models. On the diff upper control arm hangers there are two mounting holes, instead of the one on the EF models. Boxcar XR diffs also have two holes but are in a different configuration.

There are a couple of threads already here with pics etc.

The tickford models have the same length upper control arm as the earlier cars, however the diff end of the arm is kinked, so that as it bolts into the rearmost hole, it allows for clearance of the axle tube. The reason for this is to correct the pinion angle of the lower set tickford cars.

The rule of thumb is that if you get a diff out of an EF for your EL, also get the upper control arms from the same model car as the diff. The same rule applies for an EL diff into an EL.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]