EL Wagon rear suspension upgrade 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Wagon rear suspension upgrade
Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL

SA, Australia

Hi everyone,

Having put my EL Wagon on LPG I now notice the difference with the extra weight, having done some research it looks like polyair additions are a good option, anyone have experience with these?

Thanks.

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hi, and welcome to Fordmods

RE the polyair, no it would seem not.

Do you have a link to any info?

If you do, please add it to this thread, which you may also find of interest.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/lowering-for-my-wagon-t72547.html

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Oddly enough I don't want to lower the car, mind you a sway bar would be great if I can get one from the wreckers.

BenJ wrote:
Hi, and welcome to Fordmods

RE the polyair, no it would seem not.

Do you have a link to any info?

If you do, please add it to this thread, which you may also find of interest.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/lowering-for-my-wagon-t72547.html

Cheers
BenJ
:D

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Wagon, Honda CBR600, The Wife

VIC, Australia

Polyairs are ok but i personally think the extra leaf option is still the best, i have done this to my vehicle and loved it, find a good spring works in your area and have a word.

"In my opinion, my opinion is better than yours"

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

I did that, to have the springs reset and an extra leaf added is $360 per pair, plus the car is off the road for 4 days, when empty the ride will be harsh, I can get a set of polyairs for $300, ride is then adjustable and they only take 4 hours to install. Note that I don't want the car lowered, just adaptable from empty to full.

surfn wrote:
Polyairs are ok but i personally think the extra leaf option is still the best, i have done this to my vehicle and loved it, find a good spring works in your area and have a word.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:57 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Wagon, Honda CBR600, The Wife

VIC, Australia

prof_rabbit wrote:
I did that, to have the springs reset and an extra leaf added is $360 per pair, plus the car is off the road for 4 days, when empty the ride will be harsh, I can get a set of polyairs for $300, ride is then adjustable and they only take 4 hours to install. Note that I don't want the car lowered, just adaptable from empty to full.

surfn wrote:

WOW 4 days, normally one day job. The ride does change a little with extra, but to degrees, if they use 7mm,8mm, 10mm plate and so on. Be aware though the ride will change with the bags as you MUST keep a minimum air pressure in them. Air shock an option ?? Also the polyair wont be a full seal unit, they leak down and air must be maintained constantly eg. every week or so to maintain minimum pressure, hope this helps.

"In my opinion, my opinion is better than yours"

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:54 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

WOW 4 days, normally one day job. The ride does change a little with extra, but to degrees, if they use 7mm,8mm, 10mm plate and so on.
end quote

That would be a new set of springs, even more expense, to reset and add a leaf the springs must be removed, sent to the spring makers then returned and refitted, hence the 4 days quoted

Be aware though the ride will change with the bags as you MUST keep a minimum air pressure in them. Air shock an option ?? Also the polyair wont be a full seal unit, they leak down and air must be maintained constantly eg. every week or so to maintain minimum pressure, hope this helps.
end quote

I did consider air shocks but they really don't add to the supported suspension, yes, I believe 5 psi is a minimum but the current springs are a touch soft so that will not be a problem.

Thanks for the tip about let-down, I will keep a check on it when fitted, I was considering the electric pump option but could do that with a cheapie air pump kept in the back for the purpose I guess.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]