Lowering - whats the deal 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Lowering - whats the deal
Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

Hey guys,
i have a mate who bought king spring superlows. He was going to fit them but a mechanic told him that he need to put new struts adn coils or something cos the car would be bouncing all over the road. is this true.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

yea, with superlows you need shortened shocks and struts

Banned

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL2 XR8

VIC, Australia

depends if you want to do things right or wrong..

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

shocks and coils wouldnt the springs be the coils lol but true its the proper way to do it shortend shocks and struts or you will be hitting the bump stops all the time

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

oh okay then. Umm so how much would new shockers cost and the rest that needs to be done for it to be done properly.

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:29 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XRGLi EF

WA, Australia

i got moroe GT gas shocks in mine with king superlows... and very rarely hit bumpstop... as long as u dont hit bumps or kurbs at great speeds there is nothing wrong with getting normal size shock absorbers...

BA XR8 manual ute black

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

azza wrote:
i got moroe GT gas shocks in mine with king superlows... and very rarely hit bumpstop... as long as u dont hit bumps or kurbs at great speeds there is nothing wrong with getting normal size shock absorbers...
yeah to be honest i have the monroes in the front of my eb and dont have to much probs finding short strokes for ford is the problem pedders do a strut and shock but i dont like pedders ive got ultimas short stroke in the rear and it improved it 100% thinking of trying the front struts aswell or you could allways go koni$ buy far the best but do cost and i dont think my eb is worth spending that sort of cash on but the au is dont know how ill hide that invoice from the wife lol

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Are you more concerned with looking cool or handling?

If you only want to get as low as possible for as cheap as possible then just fit the springs, they might work with your standard shocks but fair to say the car will bounce all over the place and you current shocks will wear out alot faster.

If you want good/acceptable handling with the low ride height then fit shocks that are designed for lower ride height. You pretty much get what you pay for with the shocks. KYB's are apparently ok (I have koni's and they rock). But expect to hit things over big bumps.

If you want the best handling dont go superlows. Get a low kit as this gives more suspension travel, get some quality shocks (adjustable), quality tires and then fit adjustable sway bars. Go to a proper suspension workshop and tell them how you want your car to handle (oversteer, understeer, ride comfort etc.) And they should do it properly.

Option 3 is how I am going at the moment and I can say that after upgrading to the koni's and whiteline springs the car has BETTER ride (ie less bumps crash through the suspension) AND far far improved handling, I don't scrape on kerbs or bumps, I can put 5 people + luggage in the car without bottoming out and the whole 'feel' of the car is much improved. And not that it matters but the rear has gone down by about 1.5 inches and the front by 0.75.

for more info goto www.whiteline.com and go to their FAQ section. A good read.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Post subject: re lowering
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU

TAS, Australia

you can always use maketa lowered springs lol make any hight you like lol

the diference between men and boys is the price of there TOYS

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

Here's the deal: Don't f**k around....Do it properly.

6 words on how to pick the products for your suspension.

(so why'd i go pedders?)

I dunno, but the thing handles really well.

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

azza wrote:

Hitting bump stops will not do any damage to your shocks what-so-ever. Bumpstops are there to protect your shocks.

What happens when you lower the car and don't put a shorter stroke shock in is that instead of hitting the bumpstops, the shaft of the shock hits the bottom of the shock and stuffs up all the valves inside.

You probably don't realise that your shocks are s**t house because they're getting progressively worse every time you bottom out the shock, so the degredation in handling is not really noticable.

If you go cheap with suspension modifications all you're doing is putting the value of your car, and the safety, or even the lives of you and your passengers at serious risk.

I would far rather drive, or be driven in a car with factory suspension than in a car that had been lowered improperly. If you do a cheap job you can get a decrease in performance, increased braking distances, accelerated tyre wear and a s**t ride.

I've seen cars where people have done a backyard lowering job by just cutting 2 or 3 coils off the standard spring with an angle grinder. Not good!!!

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
azza wrote:

Hitting bump stops will not do any damage to your shocks what-so-ever. Bumpstops are there to protect your shocks.

What happens when you lower the car and don't put a shorter stroke shock in is that instead of hitting the bumpstops, the shaft of the shock hits the bottom of the shock and stuffs up all the valves inside.

You probably don't realise that your shocks are s**t house because they're getting progressively worse every time you bottom out the shock, so the degredation in handling is not really noticable.

If you go cheap with suspension modifications all you're doing is putting the value of your car, and the safety, or even the lives of you and your passengers at serious risk.

I would far rather drive, or be driven in a car with factory suspension than in a car that had been lowered improperly. If you do a cheap job you can get a decrease in performance, increased braking distances, accelerated tyre wear and a s**t ride.

I've seen cars where people have done a backyard lowering job by just cutting 2 or 3 coils off the standard spring with an angle grinder. Not good!!!
my eb has done around 40k with monroes and super lows shocks were allready in it when i lowered it and are still fine

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

i have superlows in my xr6 with the xr6 shocks and or uprights and the front has never bottomed out and if it ever does it will hit the boddy stops before the shock bottoms out, but yes it would be much better to have the shortened ones as the back of mine is a little bouncy but i rather that than hard thumps of shortened shocks cause with shortened shocks thay have a much harder dampening in them to stop the car hitting body stops

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sickd wrote:
i have superlows in my xr6 with the xr6 shocks and or uprights and the front has never bottomed out and if it ever does it will hit the boddy stops before the shock bottoms out, but yes it would be much better to have the shortened ones as the back of mine is a little bouncy but i rather that than hard thumps of shortened shocks cause with shortened shocks thay have a much harder dampening in them to stop the car hitting body stops
thats why i put the short ultimas in the rear trust me awsome and cheap very soft ride (for a low car)

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:48 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Whiteline have a full kits for Falcons, they've done the research, and my goodness does it ROCK.

I'ev got he full works superlow kit, sits low, handles like nothing else, and loosing the back end is a thing of the past, it just grips and grips.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next