Fordmods Logo

Shift Kit - Do it yourself 

Page 15 of 53 [ 785 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 53  Next

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Nice work.. At the moment I'm just trying to work out how to integrate the shift kit with the existing Econ/Power switch in my EL. I really don't feel like having to switch into "power" mode and then turn the shift kit on also.. seems a bit much stuffing around. One switch is all I want. Any ideas ppl?

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Yup, just use the switch to control two relays Shouldnt be too hard?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Oh I know it's not that hard.. but I don't know much about putting together electronics. I just need a more descriptive description.. hehe

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

AdamN ... the circuit will be something like shown below. You'll need a DPDT 12v relay; a small 5A one will be fine. The original factory switch works by connecting Pin 27 (from memory, a grey wire, check this from the workshop manual) to ground when the trans is in Econ mode, and breaking the connection when the trans is in Power mode. You will be completely disconnecting this ECU wire from the switch and switching it via the relay, which is controlled by the rewired factory switch.

Make sure that you use a switched +12V supply (eg from the cigarette lighter) so that the relay only ever operates while the ignition is set to Accessories or On. This way it won't slowly drain your battery, and it also ensures that if you leave the car in Power mode overnight, the 10W resistors won't sit there getting toasty!

Hope this helps!
Tim

Elly - '96 EL Fairmont Ghia]

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Fantastic work moph. Ive always thought the s**t kit would be fantastic if it came on automatically when you were giving a reasonable amount of throttle.

12 seconds more than enough time at WOT to get me in lots of trouble :)

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks!. I'll give that a go Moph and let you know how it goes.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

simo_42 wrote:
why do you need a on/on switch. can i use a on/off switch or will it not have the same advantage

cheers

Hi

You need an on/on switch as your are effectively switching between two circuits - shift kit or standard.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

SA, Australia

12 seconds at WOT with a supercharged 8 would indeed be enough to get you in trouble :D :D Wish I had quite that problem!!

In mine, 12 seconds is plenty enough time for the tranny to have switched up to third and be moving at approx 130 km/h in a straight drag ... I don't imagine ever going much past this!

Also, if you're caning through the hills, corners (and throttle lifts/ons) are usually less than twelve seconds apart, and I found this time interval keeps the shift kit on all the time in the twisties. Just stops the relays clicking in and out all the time.

Note that the circuit diagram I showed for AdamN is just in answer to his question as to how to rewire the factory Econ/Power switch, not my throttle sensitive one. You'll have to buy the Jaycar kit to get this feature.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

SA, Australia

Just did some quick tests on my *ahem* private road and found, to my surprise, that I have actually picked up a reasonable improvement 0-100. Try 0.3 secs!

Of course, that means my lardy Faimont Ghia (255,000k's) still takes 8.5 secs to reach 100, but better than 8.8!

4.9 EF Futura, how long have you had the shift kit installed, do you use it regularly, are your gearbox, axles, uni joints etc standard, and how is it holding up? You're putting a heap more power than standard through the V8 driveline, so you're a good test case for reliability of this mod.

I've had two rather significant 'crack' sounds so far at the 1/2 gearchange, one on the right hand side rear, one on the left. Nothing appears amiss and it may just be from the chassis flexing, but it does concern me ... I may tone the shift back a little yet.

PS Tests were average of four tests, both directions, before and after mod. Today is also hotter (31 degrees) than yesterday (27 degrees).

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Ok so here's my EL diagram. Anyone see any problems with this?

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

SA, Australia

Yup, problem found ... Wire 5 is find, but Wire 4 and Wire 6 need to be switched. Reason being that when you have Econ set, then relay is on which means that pins C and NO are connected. For the circuit you've shown above, this means Wire 5 would be connected to Wire 4 which enables the shift kit.

If you swap Wire 4 onto NC and Wire 6 onto NO then when the switch is on Econ, the relay is pulled in, and pins C and NO are connected which means that Wire 5 is connected to Wire 6 which completely bypasses both resistors, hence disabling the shift kit. This is what you are after.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I updated the pic.. better?

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

SA, Australia

Perfect. Post again when you've done the mod to let us know how it goes.

I'm 99% positive from memory that the ground connection for ECU Pin 27 needs to be on the NO, but should you find that the shift kit is coming on in Econ mode and off in Power mode, then swap the ground for Pin 27 from NO to NC. I think I'm right as it is though.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I'll get all the parts tomorrow and hook it up :)
Thanks mate.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Ok i'm a bit stuck again. This relay I need.. is this one suitable?: http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=S4190C

Sort by  
 Page 15 of 53  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 53  Next