Fordmods Logo

Shift Kit - Do it yourself 

Page 48 of 53 [ 785 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 53  Next

Post subject: Re: Shift Kit - Do it yourself
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford EF - Garret TO4Z

TAS, Australia

Which pins for a V8 Eb

Thanks guys

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1992 eb fairmont classic

NSW, Australia

neds wrote:
ok as i had a bit of trouble with my limited knowledge of electronics when i made my shift kit, i've tried to put something together to make it a bit easier. This is for the ef i6, but is a similar setup for the el i6. Feel free to let me know of anything i need to change/add

Making a Shift Kit – EF i6:

This is just a simple guide on what I did when I put a shift kit in my ef i6 falcon.
First, read through the documents on http://www.mechanicalforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=19, the ones which are of interest for the ef i6 are overview.pdf and EF_I6_Switched.pdf. If your good with electronics you should have no trouble doing this without any help. However this should help those with only a basic knowledge.

Parts you’ll need:

1 x 10 watt 18ohm resistor
1 x 10 watt 5.6ohm resistor
a spdt or dpdt switch (these are on/on switches, rather on/off)
a small project box to put it in
some wire (capable of 5amp loading)

you should be able to get all this at a decent electronics store for around $10.

As we are dealing with the cars electronics it is important you disconnect the battery before continuing.

To start with, you’ll need 3 short wires (about 15cm) and 3 long wires (about 80cm), colour coded preferably so you know which one goes where. I’ll number the short ones 1 – 3 and the long ones 4 -6.

Simply solder wire 1 from one end of the 18ohm resistor, and wire 4 from the other end. Then, solder wires 2 and 5 to one end of the 5.6ohm resistor, and wires 3 and 6 to the other end (ie, 2 wires coming off each end). Stick these resistors in your project box and have the wires coming out. Make sure there is no chance of wires/resistors touching each other.

Now you need to get to the ecu, this is located on the left side of the passenger footwell, behind the plastic cover. Pull this cover off, its held on by 2 plastic plugs. Now there is one screw to undo, where the groud wire is to the side of the ecu. Take this off then you should have the ecu free now. You need to take the clear plastic cover off the top (if it has one), then the black one as well (this may be a little tough).

The pins are labelled, we need pins 71 and 81. From memory 71 is a red one and 81 is a green one. Make sure you get the right ones. Cut the wire from pin 81 about 10cm away from the ecu. Now you need to solder wire 2 to the ecu side of the cut wire, and wire 3 to the other side (transmission side).

You now need to solder wire 1 to the wire coming from pin 71. You don’t need to actually cut the wire, rather just cut the covering plastic and solder onto it. Now you can put the ecu back together and cover it up, again, make sure the exposed wires are covered so they don’t touch.

Last bit of soldering is the 3 long wires onto your switch. You may want to feed the wires though behind the dash to where ever your going to put your switch first, as it may be tough later when connected. If you have a dpdt switch, you only need to use one side of plugs, either side will do, so you should have 3 plugs your soldering onto. Simply solder wire 5 to the center plug, and wires 4 and 6 to the outside plugs (either way will do). Again make sure the exposed wires don’t touch.

Now just put your switch where ever you want, hide your project box up somewhere under your glove box, make sure all the wires are hidden, re-connect your battery and away you go. Make sure you turn it off in the wet, as you may lose control.

- Neds

[/img]

why say i6????really ford in the falcon ahve never brought out a v???

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

Eb cruiza wrote:
why say i6????really ford in the falcon ahve never brought out a v???

you're an idiot

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Gli

SA, Australia

did this in my el yesterday was happy with it was great fun in the wet last night was wondering if anyone had any success in making it be a bit firmer than what it is using the 5.6 and 18?

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6

New Zealand

I did this 6 months ago in my EF Fairmont Wagon and the other night in the wet with 5 people and good 225 tyres on the back i got significant wheel spin as I changed from 1st to 2nd. It also makes it a lot better when changing up as you over take someone, allows you to get back on the power when going from 2nd to 3rd alot faster. BTW I only turn it on maybe once a week if I really give it a boot full.

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:46 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII Ghia TS50 Wannabe

VIC, Australia

Mods please sticky!

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

looks good.ill be doing mine soon.

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T

winman wrote:
so can i use this to make one for my ba xr6?? and if so will it still affect the auto when turned off?? ive heard rumors that the adaptive auto transmition losses its ability to adapt and learn driving styles.

i cant answer your question about the adaptive shift learning, but a few years ago people were fitting these to their BA's back when Unichip's and Xede's were all that was available for engine tuning.
From memory you cannot use the variable kit as it used to send the auto into limp home mode so the single stage kit (WITHOUT the trimpot) was all that could be used.

300+rwkw HeadsexTuned XR6 Turbo Ute *NOW SOLD :(*
MK Triton with 31" muddies, 2" lift and 3" turbo back exhaust etc...

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:24 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford eb11 fairmont

QLD, Australia

Quote:
mines adjustable and set to 30% for a positive firm shift, nothing too stupid

however i find its still too harsh when crawling using light throttle like in car parks or roundabouts

it would be great if you could have the shift kit rise in firmness in tune with the TPS....... eg. flat throttle would mean 100% shift firmness, and 50% throttle = 50% firmness

if use want the variable kits to change according to throtle position why not hook it to the throttle instead of in the cab and have it change as the throttle position changes??? simple

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

need help asap looking for the wire to cut in the el to go to the transmissin but cant find it i think it says on first page its pin 38 but it must be in the middle and i cant see the numbers is it the black wire with the blue runner?

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

all good found it was looking at wrong side lol

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

shoey50 wrote:
ok this is in reference to the diagram earlier the 18 ohm resitor is replaced with a 20 and is tapped into pin 57 and the 5.6 ohm resistor is replaced with a 1 ohm and goes to pin 38 (the one you cut)

ok so i was fishing throught this thread and was wondering what the difference would be between using the set up mentioned on the first post and changing the resistors to the ones mentioned here.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

I went through like 20 pages, and really don't want to go through the other 20 odd. But can a shift kit be made up for BA XT? Please don't just say "Use this search functions!!" as this is how I stumbled across this thread, and it's too long to go through and find if the BA's can have a shift kit like the way the OP has.

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

according to the shiftkits.com.au website its possible to have an on/off firmness, but no adjustable setup

im not sure if anyone has worked out the wires/values for the B-series 4 speed, so it looks like $70 from the shiftkits website is the only way?

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:29 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Ef wagon

VIC, Australia

Heyyy dose anyone live in the easten bit of melb and want 2 help me do this with mine pm me if u can thanks it woyld be a great help :)

Sort by  
 Page 48 of 53  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 53  Next