squeak from rear axle 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: squeak from rear axle
Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:43 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef xr6

VIC, Australia

i have a squeak from my diff on my ef xr6 i have replaced both wheel bearings and cheaked over all the brakes it only dose it when of the break. so when i use the brake it stops. it sounds like bearings but i just changed them the diff oil is pritty F&*ked could it be the oil because its not thick enough and oil as doggs balls

EF XR6
K&N PANEL FILTER ulah, CAM, J3 CHIP, 128.3 RWKW, F6 TYPHOON RIMS, FULL TAN AND BLACK INTERIOR, CUSTOM BOOT INSTALL IN PROGRESS..
:)

Post subject: Re: squeak from rear axle
Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:51 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

either a warped rear disc or a bent exle can cause a squeek...

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:54 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

i would feel it if the axle was bent wouldent i

EF XR6
K&N PANEL FILTER ulah, CAM, J3 CHIP, 128.3 RWKW, F6 TYPHOON RIMS, FULL TAN AND BLACK INTERIOR, CUSTOM BOOT INSTALL IN PROGRESS..

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:58 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

i would feel it if the axle was bent wouldent i. i will get the discs michined and see if that stopes it

EF XR6

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:16 pm 

NSW, Australia

kick_ass_ford wrote:
i would feel it if the axle was bent wouldent i

not really, i had the same thing on my old xr8.. if the axle is only slightly bent you wont notice it by driving, but the rotor will move back and forth enough to cause a squeek ..

i didnt find the cause untill i put the rear of the car on stands started it ,put it in gear and noticed the rim moved ever so slightly..
to eliminate the rim i took the wheels of and found the whole disc rotor and hub moving, thats when i realised the axle was bent..

it might not be your problem, it thats what mine was....

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA XR8 Boss 260 6-spd manual

New Zealand

TROYMAN wrote:
kick_ass_ford wrote:
i didnt find the cause untill i put the rear of the car on stands started it ,put it in gear and noticed the rim moved ever so slightly..
to eliminate the rim i took the wheels of and found the whole disc rotor and hub moving, thats when i realised the axle was bent..

Came on-line to post this same question & found this thread - EXACT same thing is happening on my EF Fairmont. Squeak squeak squeak driving along the road, lightly touch the brakes and it disappears.

Jack the rear of car, removed the rims, engaged drive, and watched the RHR rotor "wobbling" enough to move the caliper in and out. LHR was doing it too, but not as badly.

Got a couple of q's for you - Are you positive it's most likely a bent axle? Is it possible the rotor is not on the hub correctly?

And if it IS a bent axle, how much of a drama is it to change an axle?

I do have a further issue with mine though - if i drive over rough surface e.g. say a cobblestone road, the squeak becomes a full on squeaky rattle. Like the caliper is rattling around loose, almost.

Anyway thanks for the post - let me know on the axle swap-out ins and outs?

Cheers

Previous cars:
XA GT351 sedan (manual)
XF/XE club race car (351 manual)
EL Falcon
EL Fairmont
AU XR6
BA XR6 Turbo

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:45 pm 

NSW, Australia

LoganNZ wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
kick_ass_ford wrote:

Came on-line to post this same question & found this thread - EXACT same thing is happening on my EF Fairmont. Squeak squeak squeak driving along the road, lightly touch the brakes and it disappears.

Jack the rear of car, removed the rims, engaged drive, and watched the RHR rotor "wobbling" enough to move the caliper in and out. LHR was doing it too, but not as badly.

Got a couple of q's for you - Are you positive it's most likely a bent axle? Is it possible the rotor is not on the hub correctly?

I do have a further issue with mine though - if i drive over rough surface e.g. say a cobblestone road, the squeak becomes a full on squeaky rattle. Like the caliper is rattling around loose, almost.

Cheers

mine was definatly bent axle, but it couldnt hurt to remove the rotors clean the mating surfaces and double check..
i had a diff place fix mine, they put the axle in a press to straighten as much as possible they then removed the wheel studs and machined the axle face on a laith..
from memory it cost me around $100

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

I also have a squeak from the left rear wheel. Just a constant "squeak squeak squeak". Its been there ever since we bought the car. Do you think I have the same problem?

Just some added info, a trailing arm was also bent (don't know which 1) when we brought it, and the car sort of vibrates at about 100ish, not like a shudder but more like a faint mobile phone vibration. Its more noticeable when you sit in the rear. On the left...

Cheers

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:45 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA XR8 Boss 260 6-spd manual

New Zealand

TheELghia wrote:
I also have a squeak from the left rear wheel. Just a constant "squeak squeak squeak". Its been there ever since we bought the car. Do you think I have the same problem?

If you have axle stands, do what I did yesterday: chock the front tyres, jack the entire rear axle and securely lower it onto stands. Remove the roadwheels.

Start the car and engage "D". Go and watch the rotating disc rotors closely. Listen for the squeak and watch to see if the rotor is "wobbling" and sliding the brake caliper in and out.

Mine was, and that was the squeak.

Simple to figure out really. But harder (and $$$) to fix!

Mine also has that "cellphone vibration" - kind of just enough to vibrate the coins in the ashtray, kinda thing. But mine happens on trailing throttle, coasting down past 50kmh. I'm pretty sure mine is driveshaft/uni joints, not axles. I aggressively lowered my car, and everything happened after that. (Also get a "thrumming" drone at 100kmh).

Previous cars:
XA GT351 sedan (manual)
XF/XE club race car (351 manual)
EL Falcon
EL Fairmont
AU XR6
BA XR6 Turbo

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

If it is a bent axle, it's really not much drama to change one, basically all you need to do is jack up the car and put it on axle stands, remove the wheel and the rotor, undo the 4 bolts that hold the axle in, put the disc rotor on backwards with a couple of the wheel nuts and use it like a slide hammer to pull the axle out, putting the new one back in is pretty much just a reverse of that but you might have to gently tap it in after you feel the splines line up.

Gab

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:35 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

i know how to change axle cos u take it out to change thr bearings. i got the rear discs dose to day stoped the noise easy fix kinda annoyde i dident think of it my self :/ thanks for your help anyways

EF XR6

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:28 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2000 Ford AUII XR8 Ute Manual

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
LoganNZ wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
kick_ass_ford wrote:

Cheers

mine was definatly bent axle, but it couldnt hurt to remove the rotors clean the mating surfaces and double check..
i had a diff place fix mine, they put the axle in a press to straighten as much as possible they then removed the wheel studs and machined the axle face on a laith..
from memory it cost me around $100

Thinking about going the same route as you did however was wondering if there is any problem with fatigue or weakness after the axle has been bent and straightened again? Don't want to lose a wheel while going around a corner at 100km/h!

In my case the axle is bent enough to cause a 1mm runout at the disc. The bend is between the flange and the bearing.

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

Thinking about going the same route as you did however was wondering if there is any problem with fatigue or weakness after the axle has been bent and straightened again? Don't want to lose a wheel while going around a corner at 100km/h!

In my case the axle is bent enough to cause a 1mm runout at the disc. The bend is between the flange and the bearing.[/quote]
get a price on a sec\hand one from wreckers or ebay,for the ute.it can be straightened.but depends on how its done and costs.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]