Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Whiteline swaybar for EF XR6 Wagon
Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:27 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon

VIC, Australia

Snap, looking at the photos in this thread
gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/new-suspension-for-ef-wagon-t108035.html

It looks like your Ute has the sharper curved swaybar, when compared to XH5LWEPN's swaybar

I only just noticed as I was thinking about how this swaybar setup works, that its the exact opposite of the front swaybar. Front the body is fixed, ends attached to suspension. Rear the ends are fixed, body attached to the suspension. I think its the same for sedans too though.

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I don't think you'll find too much difference between my setup and Jeff's.
The mounts will be in similar positions on the subframe.

Another difference on the front bars is the EL runs dimpled D bushes - so the bracket has same - this helps with sideways location.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

BenJ wrote:
Wagons, had no rear bar from factory, even the XR, but the front bars are the same in the EF EL series as I understand it.

I have the 30mm front and whiteline rear, 18? I think.

Great upgrades IMO.

Cheers
BenJ

Your rear bar is 22mm, mine is the 18mm.

Front bars on EF/EL are the same whether the car is GLi, Futura, Fairmont, Ghia or XR. No difference. Rear bars on the sedan are the same as well.

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:28 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks guys for all your help. The final conclusion was the guy who bought the car wanted to keep the swaybar on it, so went me halves in buying one for my car, so now have a BFR38 EF series 1 swaybar on the way. So that worked out well for everybody

I just have a further question about the front swaybar. Its the EL BFF39 30mm swaybar on an EL. I am going to swap it for the one on my EF wagon directly. From what we have said before the D- bushes are different. If I turn up to do the swap, will I need to bring an additional set of EL D-brackets, or can I swap the EF ones onto the EL?

Thanks again

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:30 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Brackets will fit, same hole centres for EF/EL etc. Bushes are different as they have a 30mm hole v the std 27mm.

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:33 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Perfect, so I take the 27mm bar with bushes and brackets off my EF and bolt it up to the EL
Then I take the 30mm bar with bushes and brakets off the EL, and bolt up to my EF. Should be simple!

Whats the go with the Whiteline swaybar link kits. They sell the link kits for the front swaybar, apparently they're stronger than the ones used pre-EL, I never noticed a difference. Plus it looks like the bushes are tapered on one kit, but have steps in the other kit?

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

EF/EL have thicker link pins.
My front bars didn't line up to well - see post1369185.html for more.

Those 30mm bars are bloody heavy too.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:26 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ah so both EF and EL have the thicker pins? That's okay then, my EF should already have them, I got the impression from the Whiteline website that it was EL only. I'm hoping as the swaybars have already been fitted to a car, that means that they aligned. They were fitted by a suspension place, so I would say if they didn't they wouldn't have fitted them.

Did you get your bar brand new? No chance it was on a car in an accident? Yep I am really looking forward to getting the 30mm bar into the car. Going to take it up to Winton for the Fun Day on the 15th, so trying to get the suspension sorted for that. Going to go the 30mm front and 20mm rear swaybars, 1.5" lowering blocks in rear, and swap the front suspension from my EL into it, pedders springs and shocks. That and the 19's should tighten the handling up a bit

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

The front pins on the EF/EL are thicker, but on the rear the U Bolts are thicker on EF2 and EL.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

rainoffire wrote:
Did you get your bar brand new? No chance it was on a car in an accident? Yep I am really looking forward to getting the 30mm bar into the car. Going to take it up to Winton for the Fun Day on the 15th, so trying to get the suspension sorted for that. Going to go the 30mm front and 20mm rear swaybars, 1.5" lowering blocks in rear, and swap the front suspension from my EL into it, pedders springs and shocks. That and the 19's should tighten the handling up a bit
Nah bought new 2 sets front & rear bars, both fronts are the same. With that setup, plus superpro bushes, and std height, it transformed the EL wagon's handling. Now that it's back to std rubber bushes, and std suspension, the difference is obvious.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2