Fordmods Logo

Ford Australia Changes Focus! 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Ford Australia Changes Focus!
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

the turbo 4 would be good for exports, as the i6 cant really be converted to LHD, thanks to the hulking huge intake setup on the LHS.

does this mean we may see a slightly smaller and lighter falcon in the next generation? If they are considering a turbo 4, they would have to shed some of the 1700+kgs that the FG has to busy itself with.

a smaller 5.0l V8 and a turbo 4 option may point towards a general trend of smaller and lighter. Hopefully.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I didn't know that.. I'd have thought a V6 anything would make things much harder to change to RHD as the width is lower down than the I6's intake..

I don't know about BA, but just looked at my EL and the intake wouldn't really foul the steering at all if it was on the other side...

A V6 nearly totally fills the engine bay... so how are commodores swapped to RHD for the Pontiac that is now gone.??

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

its not so much the bbm thats the problem its the miles of s**t underneath it.

what I've been told is thats the V shape with its balance of components either side of the block make it easier to convert to opposite side drive.

Not saying it couldn't be done but manufacturers seem to be on the lazy side, if its not easy the dont seem to want to really do it.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

I am pleased to hear some commitment to the teritory!
News before this seemed to be pointing to them putting it out to pasture so to speak. And with only slight changes to plastic parts since the original was released 5 years ago, i thought for sure they would drop it.

We are still left wondering about whats happening with the falcon wagon!!

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

heres a tip for ford.
mondeo big car + excellent build quality + small engine + average fuel consumption + highly priced = fail
if they cant get it right in a car that was made for being in that class, how can they get a small car motor, put it in a big car and expect good results..
if i was spending 40k on a car, i would most certainly not buy a 4cyl. if ford wants a smaller motor id say to engineer a replicated smaller i6 4.0l say maybe direct injection 3.0l and slap a turbo on it and keep that as your base model and possibly have a gas variant of it as well..

ah well, either way, i suppose it good that the i6 will be there to rebound back on when the for banger fails

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

as log as the i6 stays although all im hearing is of a direct gas injection i6... no petrol i6???

exciting and scary time's ahead.. bout time direct injection materialised.. and the turbo diesel jag engine... hope this is a good sign for exports.. and feels a massive vote of confidence the falcon to get the 1st ecotecv engine.. -or something like that..

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

How may i ask, are they going to source the 2.7 diesel for the territory if it is coming from Jag? Didnt they recently sell Jag off to some indian place??

WTF is Ford up to, First the AU, then they plan 2 litre engines for the falcon (big wtf in my books, gonna need plenty of convincing to convince me it's a good idea) and now they axe TeamVodafone!!

Epic FAIL!

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hopefully a smaller next gen falcon is in the works for the global rwd platform, rather than a 1900kg barge. Its the only way ford could cut it on performance, if they are downsizing engines across the range. a 5lt DI v8 wont have the mambo to move the current size car like a 6.2l v8. People who buy those cars want performance. Fuel bills come secondary. Ford will never realise that.

However a smaller 1500kg falcon stands a chance at least.

I see ford really trying to emulate audi here, both in their styling and engineering. I mean the a4 starts with a 118kw 1.8lt turbo and hefts in at 1450kg. it will do 0-100 in 7.2 secs, which is plenty for those who commute instead of drive.

However it will fail epically if they dont make a smaller lighter car.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

4dlvr wrote:
heres a tip for ford.
mondeo big car + excellent build quality + small engine + average fuel consumption + highly priced = fail
if they cant get it right in a car that was made for being in that class, how can they get a small car motor, put it in a big car and expect good results..
if i was spending 40k on a car, i would most certainly not buy a 4cyl. if ford wants a smaller motor id say to engineer a replicated smaller i6 4.0l say maybe direct injection 3.0l and slap a turbo on it and keep that as your base model and possibly have a gas variant of it as well..

ah well, either way, i suppose it good that the i6 will be there to rebound back on when the for banger fails

Holden has copied my idea

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2