Fordmods Logo

Auto on Cruise Control 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Auto on Cruise Control
Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ba wagon

VIC, Australia

Hi, After 20 years of owning fords with cruise controls that stay turned on when you turn off the ignition (that is with a mechanical switch, but they still forget any speed setting) I still find that having owned the BA for more than a year turning on the cruise (as easy as it is) was a step I couldnt get used to i.e. 1st time turn on cruise then set speed then the 2nd time same trip you turn off the cruise and try to set the speed. A real P.I.T.A. . So I made this
Attachment:
cruise switch 1.jpg
D1 connects to the starter signal wire from the ignition switch (red/blue) and as you crank the car power flows into C1 (2200uf,16v) and through the coil of relay1 closing the contacts and also letting power flow through D2 and into C2 (2200uf,16v), when you release the key C1 still holds power on relay 1 for a few seconds then when relay 1 releases the power in C2 energises relay 2 for a short time, The contacts of relay 2 are across the cruise control switch (Light blue and Grey/red) turning on the cruise control each time I start the car. All wires are at the steering column and the relays sit in the fuse box. Cheers MD

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Auto on Cruise Control
Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nice work!

I will be doing this one for sure. I dont see why I wouldn't ever want cruise on, and more importantly I have no idea why there is an "off" switch.

Now to come up with a circuit to use the on/off switches at the steering wheel for something more useful, like neons ... joking.
Could be a nice way to have a fog light switch in close range without needing to drill a hole for a switch.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hi. Sorry to burst anyones bubble but you still need the factory on/off switch as if the engine doesn't start and you crank it again without turning the ignition off a repeat sequance will turn off the cruise control and not only that but the same 2 wires are used for the other 3 functions by switching different resistors accross them, also might need to turn it off for saftey reasons so back to the drawing boards on using the switch for another function. Cheers. MD.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

There's three wires that run through the clock spring to the cruise control. Two wires do most of the functions, but the third is there to turn the system on. Pressing the 'on' button repeatedly will not cycle the system on and off.
If you could press both on and off together, you would set of the horn.

See attached drawing from the ford factory manual.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:30 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Sorry but this is the BA switch from the BA manual, with only two wires. But now you can see why I used a relay as the output to give multiple switch setups.
Cheers MD.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ahh I didnt read it properly to see that you were doing this to a BA.

While the false cranking wont be a problem for my car, looking at it further I see I wont be able to use the on/off switches how I suggested.

I think it could be done if I used an AU clockspring and used the wires for stereo control, but now it sounds like too much trouble as the airbag plugs are different.
I think I got confused from when I was going to fit an AU airbag and use the AU indicator stalk with the cruise on/off switches on it. They are separate to the clockspring so could technically be used for anything.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hi, All fun and games and a big learning curve for all of us but if we learn somthing every day it means we're still alive. heers MD

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]