Painting Your Rocker Cover 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Painting Your Rocker Cover
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford EB II Falcon

SA, Australia

Things you need
• Paint Stripper (I used K&H $16.99 From Autobarn)
• Small or Large Paint Brush
• Sandpaper
• Masking Tape
• Engine Enamel Or Other Heat Proof Paint (I used Anodized Paint $18.99 from Autobarn)
• Scraper of other long flat tool
• Rubber Gasket (if you don’t have one already)
• Sanding Block

By peaandham, shot with FinePix A600 at 2010-01-18

Painting your rocker cover is the perfect way to attract attention to your engine bay, it is relatively easy all you need to do correctly is prep the surface and purchase the right paint. The spray paint I used was called “Anodized Colour Coat” this is a more metallic gloss colour and the one I bought was red. This stuff it best applied over a primer that can withstand heat, as you will see with my cover unless you prep the surface perfectly then marks underneath will show up with this paint. The old colour I went was some VHT “Engine Enamel” and the colour was “GM Blue” it was a low gloss look and went over bare metal and covered everything up so for the cheapest D.I.Y Job I would recommend this. Note: This is a guide on the easiest way to paint a cover and have the paint stay on it once being used on the car, so no one please get offended if you don’t think this is a professional job) Also take a look at the pic below if you don’t see this you are missing your rocker gear+cam or you have taken the wrong bit off

Step one: Once the rocker cover is removed from the car you can get out your paint stripper and your paint brush and apply some thin layers of this stuff over the rocker cover. (NOTE: watch out for your eyes and any other body part last time I go this on my its burnt, and once I washed it off I came up with a case of “Contact Dermatitis” which gave me a rash) So thin layers are the key and it is best to have a scraper with you to scrape the bubbling paint off. You may not be able to get all of the paint off without a lot of time so try leaving paint stripper on and giving the cover a wash with high pressure water from a hose. I found this works well to a certain extent. (i didnt take a picutre but if you do want to see what a rocker cover with the the paint stripper in action just let me know)

Step Two: Once all the old paint is off it is time for some sanding, the main parts to focus on if your using Engine Enamel is the raised bits because if you will be sanding the paint off these bits like I did then you will want shiny metal and not dark, black and dull raised bits. So use some fine sand paper on the cover to get the shine you want, if any (and you can use some 400grit wet and dry if you want but I didn’t think I needed it but now I stress if you are using Anodized paint then make hid the scratches with wet and dry.

Step Three: If you do not have a Rubber Rocker Cover Gasket on your car then go get one, the cork one that comes with the car is useless and doesn’t help prevent oil leaks. Then make sure the mounting surface on the rocker cover is clean and free of old paint.
Step Four: Mask up the PVC Valve if you left it on there.

By peaandham, shot with FinePix A600 at 2010-01-19

Step Five: Shake your can of spray paint well and then lay down some light even coats of your chose colour. About 4 or 5 coats should be plenty (so 1 can should be fine). Watch the top rim of the can for paint build up because I had this issue and then paint dropped of the can onto my cover leaving a unwanted red dot. Then leave the cover out in the sun do dry should take an hour at most (when I did this it was 40degrees out and with light coats it only took 5minutes to dry)

Step Six (Optional) Get yourself a sanding block and some fine sand paper and sand back all the raised bits evenly to go a more two tone look if that’s what you are after.

Step Seven: Its time the cover goes back on the car ! Take some photos and post them up I would like to see what others do in the way of D.I.Y ! Thanks For reading!

By peaandham, shot with FinePix A600 at 2010-01-17

Also if this doco was confusing im sorry im not the best at these write ups. also the cover does look much better in person my camera works about aswell as a VP Wagon !

OLD CAR: EB II Falcon, Everglade Green, 250thous (Rough Guess), Wildcat Extractors, 2.5 Exhaust with Muffler + Hot Dog, 18 Inch Rodney Jane Mags, XH Snorkel, EA MPEFI Tubing !

NEW CAR: 1996 TE Magna...Mods Soon To Come

Post subject: Re: Painting Your Rocker Cover
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Doesn't look too bad matey. Did you spray Clear over the top afterwards or just leave as is?

You did better than I would have, my skills in writing how to's is at best woeful :D

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

A tip for using the paint stripper is to put a couple of coats on and while it is still wet , wrap the cover in good old cling wrap like Mum used to put your sandwiches in.
Makes the stripper heat up and react better and also sweats and stops the stripper from drying off.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
A tip for using the paint stripper is to put a couple of coats on and while it is still wet , wrap the cover in good old cling wrap like Mum used to put your sandwiches in.
Makes the stripper heat up and react better and also sweats and stops the stripper from drying off.

Great Tip and it works well.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

SA, Australia

At Papa Smurf: I didnt use clear just left as is !

OLD CAR: EB II Falcon, Everglade Green, 250thous (Rough Guess), Wildcat Extractors, 2.5 Exhaust with Muffler + Hot Dog, 18 Inch Rodney Jane Mags, XH Snorkel, EA MPEFI Tubing !

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

peaandham wrote:
At Papa Smurf: I didnt use clear just left as is !

That's ok, looks the goods anyway :D

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Just followed this guide, my rocker cover had only about 1/4 of the paint left on it! Painted it red(same as the tickford covers) and it looks mint!

Took me hourrsssss to get all the paint off (thinners only got some off) sand it down and tore my fingers to pieces...but all worth it in the end :)

Thanks for the guide :D

1: Mum's car: ED XR6 wagon.zorst,stereo
2: My cars: Holden Monaro CV8-Z 2005. ls1 v8 :)
3: Nissan 180sx.sr20det, ~180rwkw.Lotsa mods,0-100 in 5.2secs.crashed into pole :(
4: EB2 Fairmont. 5spd,2.5" zorst,hi-flow cat,extractors,wade977b,j3, plus a 152dB 200psi train horn

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

nice work, this is something iv wanted to do for a while but put of due to being a lazy c#@t

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

SA, Australia

paul09 wrote:
Just followed this guide, my rocker cover had only about 1/4 of the paint left on it! Painted it red(same as the tickford covers) and it looks mint!

Took me hourrsssss to get all the paint off (thinners only got some off) sand it down and tore my fingers to pieces...but all worth it in the end :)

Thanks for the guide :D

Post up your results buddy !

Would like to see how you went !

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:59 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: XB wagon / FE LTD

VIC, Australia

i did something similar on my 302 rocker covers etc, *tip* for an even better result from the anodised paint i used a galmet silver(galvinised) it gives and extra shine base and brings the anodised colour to closer true colour..tom

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

that can says 228C, how hot does the rocker get? has yours faded at all?

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Rockers dont get that hot, you can put your hand on them. Maybe 60 to 80C ?

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Rockers dont get that hot, you can put your hand on them. Maybe 60 to 80C ?

Yeah I'd say a rocker defs wouldn't go over 100

1: Mum's car: ED XR6 wagon.zorst,stereo
2: My cars: Holden Monaro CV8-Z 2005. ls1 v8 :)
3: Nissan 180sx.sr20det, ~180rwkw.Lotsa mods,0-100 in 5.2secs.crashed into pole :(
4: EB2 Fairmont. 5spd,2.5" zorst,hi-flow cat,extractors,wade977b,j3, plus a 152dB 200psi train horn

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]