Fordmods Logo

TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon 

Page 8 of 78 [ 1167 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 78  Next

Post subject: Re: TimmyTimTim's 93 ED Mods
Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:48 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

On the topic of my own troubles...

I built a Flip Flop this morning...

It sort of works the way I want it to... Only thing wrong is not everytime you press the button does it work... Like sometimes you press it and the output don't invert... :?

Basically its a 1 button input (like the cruise on/off button) and then has two outputs, you press the button once, one comes on, press it again and the other is supposed to come on, this is how I was going to get my two outputs for on & off... Just need to work out why it is unreliable...

On a side note a had another brilliant idea this morning... One of those ideas whereby I make things much harder than they need to be... :roll:

If I made the cruise button and "on" button and got rid of the off button altogether... Coz who actually turns their cruise off? you get out of the car and it turns itself off... This way you could only turn it on when you need it and it turns off when you turn the car off... You still have 3 buttons on the pedals and a coast/resume button to cancel it, its just the unit stays on until the car is turned off...

Does this make sense? Or is it better to have an off button... I'm undecided at present... :?

Any input is greatfully accepted... :D

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I hate you Ash...

I blame you... You talked me into it... :P

Guess what I spent all day doing... :mrgreen:

Its mounted up... No wiring is done in it yet...

Switches have been converted for the ED system... Just unsolder the SMD resistors and soldered in normal ones... :D easy fix... Modified the cruise button to be an on button (decided not to have an "off" button as I've never used it) this required an extra wire to pick up off horn power...

Thing I didn't notice...

The BA combo switch body spaces the wiper arm out about 1/2 an inch more than the EL body... this made it a tad shorter... I compensated by pulling the headlight switch out of the end of the blinker arm and replacing with the "bung" off the EL blinker arm (direct fit)...

So when you go to pull on the arm to get the water jets it hits the wheel and is just enough to make it no work... So god damn it... Its getting the heat gun treatment tomorrow to slightly re-shape it... :twisted:

I haven't driven with it yet so will find out tonight when I go to work... Looks great... and will wire the horn and the buttons up tomorrow...

So close but yet so far... Damn that wiper arm...

Will also have to cut off the plastic things that make it look neater on the BA by filling the hole around the combo arms... The aren't even inside the AU covers... So the BA covers are absolutely huge...

Might remember to get photos tomorrow...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

actually Ash,

Can you snap a pick your territory from the roof to floor showing the clearances between the wheel and combo switch please? Just so I have something to compare to...

Mine feels great...Just doesn't seem to work quite right thats all... :?

Column surround isn't much use as it will never fit, I probably don't need to see it as what I have is the closest I am going to get I think without "customising" something...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

oh even tomorrow when you have light mate is fine...

Just would be curious to see thats all...

Many thanks for that though... :D

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

the joys of being a kid... :P

they might just need a wrestle from their old man... :P

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Argh... Yes looks good...

Now I'll be a real pain in the a** and ask for one more pic?

Top view of the column to see the whole arm from top down...

Thanks for those... I'll have more of fiddle tomorrow with it... I went for a drive with it tonight... Feel supurb, they are a nice chunky wheel... Perfect size... Glad you talked me into it Ash... I do owe you one... :mrgreen:

How do the column covers mount on them? Four screws hold the top section on and 2 hold the bottom to the top like AU's?

Cheers mate...

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

NSW, Australia

hey tim

do you need any pictures from a bf fairmont ghia??? dont know if they might help you as well

cheers bear

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Ash,

Cheers for that... Much appreciated

Bear,

Think I'm Ok now, thanks anyway for your offerings... :D

First off some pics of where it stood this morning...

Attachment:
DSC_0926.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0927.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0935.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0930.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0933.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon Monti

NSW, Australia

do the indicators work properly? if they still do, somehow try to move the combo switch further back towards the ignition for the red rocket

BANNED USER

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Attachment:
DSC_0937.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0938.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0939.JPG

This are all before I got it working shots... The plastic things which cover the holes around the arms in the shrouds have been cut off and neatened up to the best of my ability... I ended up getting the heat gun on the wiper stalk and straightening the bottom kink in the arm out a bit and it looked much better and worked... When you layed the combo switch down on its back and looked at combo from its bottom, the indicator arm sat level and the wiper one was definitely pointing forward (toward the wheel) and didn't sit straight, so a bit of warmth and some force and go it level and straight with the indicator arm and bolted it back up and its great... clearances are still very close... probably closer than what you showed me ash but it feel great, they are in a great position now...

Attachment:
DSC_0940.JPG

this is the altered patch harnes for the combo switch, it now has the plug off the BA combo switch on it...

Attachment:
DSC_0943.JPG

and I ruined a perfectly good BA combo switch just for it plugs, and then ruined a perfectly good EL one to solder the plugs onto... I used up all 5 wires in it (1 is a spare, not used in the wheel) so this eliminated the airbag plugs (suits the ED better)...

So all up the cruise works, it doesn't turn off yet, the pedal switches and the coast button de-active it, but to turn the light off in the cluster you have to turn the car off and then on again... Once I sort out a circuit (if I feel like changing it) I'll fix it up... But I never use the "off" button anyway so what is there suits me fine anyway...

Now to buy a headunit that works with factory radio buttons and the adaptor to suit it and utilise that side of the steering wheel...

Factory headlight switch was retained... By using the bung off the EL combo switch in place of the BA headlight switch, as mentioned above...

Other than that I'm very happy... Need a new top steering shroud of an AU as the current one is all split where most of the screws go in, but it holds ok for the moment...

Will get pics of the finished clearances tomorrow...

Cheers,
Timmy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

ashcook wrote:
So you've gone from to far back to fouling. It must be the position of the actual combo switch on the steering column.

What's the plan you think?

yeah one extreme to the other hey? :roll:

tony.martin11 wrote:
do the indicators work properly? if they still do, somehow try to move the combo switch further back towards the ignition for the red rocket

only way to move the combo switch back is to cut the steel bracket off and re-weld, if you move it however you wont get the plastic shrouds back on, they will need bigger holes cut in them...

It works good now though as mentioned in that big post... ^^^

More pics with the close clearances tomorrow... Will still hit if you pull it back far enough, but it does work fine now... I never use "pass" anyway, only really the washer I was worried about...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Just generic plugs...

The two left hand black ones are cut of an ED combo switch, the right hand black on is off the dash loom of an EL (for the combo) you'll know the white one you cut off for me...

The other two are just generic plugs, 1 6 pin for me variable wiper timer, and 1 3 pin for the two cruise wires and power for the wiper timer (will become a 4 pin when I hook up the radio buttons as they will go through that...

Jaycar do some:

2 Way
3 Way
4 Way
6 Way

Not necessarily a cheap way of buying them and can only buy both halves at once, so I get mine from the auto elect... Called quick connects... Just brass spade terminals and I bought a crimper to roll the edges and crimp them good and proper, when doing it to small gauges wires I think might pull out I generally add a dob of solder to help hold them in and increase continuity...

Also, buying the plugs and pins separately means if you change something, or change your mind you unclip the plastic thing off and cut of the brass terminals and re-use the plastic bit... Much cheaper...

Yes a black column surround is what I'm chasing... :D Can I have please? Do you have the screws to hold it on? As maybe I used the wrong ones and hence its cracked... Let me know what I owe you for it...

All done anyway Ash... Now you can do it to your ute... :P

Cheers...

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Thats the spirit...

My upgrade cost me:

120 for the wheel
110 for the bits you supplied
80 for all the EL gear (wheel, column, combo, bag)
40 to set up for etching PCB's

So cheaper than what I originally paid for my ED momo :roll:

Cheap upgrade really... Providing your prepared for the elbow grease and can source BA parts... Sorry to steal yours :(

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

ashcook wrote:
I'm hoping to get some spanners on the ute soon mate. Even if it is only a hour here or there. I am also thinking of selling my EL Momo wheel to fund a nice BF one. 8-)

Ok Ash.....now you have me attention!!

Great work tim!!

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Yeah of course i would with the appropiate Ambo discount!! and i only said i thought it was that much!! :mrgreen:

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 78  [ 1167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 78  Next