Fordmods Logo

Who here has got an engineers report to back up there turbo? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Be sure to let myself or one of the NSW Cruise moderators know youre coming up, we'll look after you :)

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Sweet, will do. It should be in the next few weeks. I cant stand not being able to drive the car anymore.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Waggin wrote:
I'm not far from Hornsby.

Fordmods uses Crescent Motorsport's Dyno, they are in Liverpool. About 45-60 mins south from Hornsby.

In hornsby there is Quick Fit Motorsport.

http://www.quickfitmotorsport.com.au/

Waste of time for him going to a workshop fitted with a dyno and use their 4 gas analyser, he could do that back in Vic, it needs to be a controlled environment, 99% of automotive workshops aren't.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Damage wrote:
Waste of time for him going to a workshop fitted with a dyno and use their 4 gas analyser, he could do that back in Vic, it needs to be a controlled environment, 99% of automotive workshops aren't.

Yah, I didnt suggest he drives to Sydney to do the 4gas :)

But its pointless doing the test if you fail a 4gas in a workshop by stupid amounts. You want to get it as best you can on the dyno, hopefully within EPA spec before you'd even consider booking in for the test.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

Hey Dan,
Can any engineer do a report or do they have to be vicroads accredited?
As i know an engineer that does compliancing on imports just wondering if he may be able to help you

Nicko

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Neo_nick wrote:
Hey Dan,
Can any engineer do a report or do they have to be vicroads accredited?
As i know an engineer that does compliancing on imports just wondering if he may be able to help you

If he does compliancing on imports then I guess he would be vicroads accredited anyway?

What is his name? Ive likely already called him.

The engineer in NSW has done a backflip on me, he wanted the dyno comparison to be in front of him. He suggested that it would be easier to pass the official RTA emission test in NSW.

Does anyone know a good tuner who could help me pass the test?

Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

This thing is usually alittle in house...One of those things ..It not what you know, but who...The last thing these guys want is someone sueing them if engine mounts break etc....Even though they may have come from an engine combo that was approx the same power level....As an example...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:00 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I'm a mechanical engineer and I don't believe I'd be able to sign off without being accredited to the EPA or Vicroads. You're probly better off speaking to engineer who works for a large consultancy rather than one who works as a consultant engineer for himself. I also completed a thesis on internal combustion engine emissions so I may be able to help if you if you needed to do a few tests of your own for peace of mind.

At the end of the day if all else fails and no engineer wants to get involved you can always set-up an exhaust gas analyser on a dyno to see what levels of NOx, CO2, CO and HC emissions your cars is emitting. If you can get it within approximately 10-15% of a standard cars emissions you might be alright in the event the EPA want to play hardball. If they were to say it doesn't meet regulations you may be able to argue that the car isn't brand new, hense your cat isn't as effective at converting emissions etc etc and you'll eventually work your way through loop holes. Whatever you do make sure that your CO emissions are as close to standard spec as possiblle as this is the most dangerous emission of them all. Its poisonous and stops oxygen being absorbed into the blood so it'll kill within a matter of minutes (this is bastard responsible for making you dizzy and light headed if you've got a cracked or leaking exhaust).

Keep in mind that the test isn't run at any particular engine speed or load. An emissions test is actually a cycle which the government believes represents a typical drive. I.e the car might idle for 1 minute then travel at 40% load for another 2 minutes until coming to a stop etc. so the test is derived to reflect these changing conditions. If you can't get the thing above board then atleast you've gone to the effort to understand and minimise the impact of your mods.

V8 Windsor here we come.....

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Why spend all this money and you might not even get pulled over? I know it's nice to do the right thing and all but what are the chances of a test?
If you do get pulled over why not just get it done then?

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Cos I drove my turbo EB like that and was s**t myself everytime I saw a cop.

Plus if its all done legit there will be no hassle from the insurance company if something ever happens.

Chich-I was told by a few engineers that the comparison test with a stock vehicle is not enough and the adr37 is the only one they accept.

This is why Im going to NSW. The engineer there is vicroads accredited and will accept the sydney RTA test which he told me is not exactly the same but close enough to be able to sign it off.

It seems like the only option at the moment. I dont want to pay $3000 for a test that Im not guaranteed to pass.

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:18 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Spork wrote:
Why spend all this money and you might not even get pulled over? I know it's nice to do the right thing and all but what are the chances of a test?

'Might not even get pulled over', the way it is in Victoria at the moment its more like 'when you will get pulled over'. The police down here have a very strong fetish with modified cars and this car will certainly attract their attention. If they can defect a car for having too many clicks on a handbrake, washer bottle not full or different coloured windscreen wipers they will have a field day on a car with aftermarket turbo, big brakes, big wheels etc.

The chances of a test are a lot higher than you think all you need is something like an aftermarket exhaust and a cop having a bad day and its 'oh you have an aftermarket exhaust, sounds a bit loud i'll write you a fine, give you a defect and the EPA notice will be in the mail i'll expect you down there in 2 weeks'.

If you do get pulled over defected/epa'd and done you have 1 month to do everything before they cancel your rego. Thus if you dont get it done in this time you will have to transport an unregistered car around, get it engineered, get a new RWC and finally pay another $500 in rego as they cancel your old rego with no refund, not fun.

End rant about cops in Vic.

1996 5spd EF2 XR6 - Genuine AJR's, full kit........

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
Cos I drove my turbo EB like that and was s**t myself everytime I saw a cop.

Plus if its all done legit there will be no hassle from the insurance company if something ever happens.

Chich-I was told by a few engineers that the comparison test with a stock vehicle is not enough and the adr37 is the only one they accept.

This is why Im going to NSW. The engineer there is vicroads accredited and will accept the sydney RTA test which he told me is not exactly the same but close enough to be able to sign it off.

It seems like the only option at the moment. I dont want to pay $3000 for a test that Im not guaranteed to pass.

Dan - seems like i misunderstood your earlier post. I was under the impression that the engineer in NSW didn't want to do the test at all. My post was simply to give you another option and a mechanism to show the pricks in blue that you havn't been irresponsible in modifying your car, and that you were consience of the emissions regulations. All the best mate.. hope it all works out for you!

V8 Windsor here we come.....

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: turbo

VIC, Australia

can i get the number of this engineer, i just ripped off my turb for a roady when i coped a canary.i was having the same probs and would really like to enginner mine

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: turbo

VIC, Australia

Spork wrote:

i got away with it for about 7 months, got pulled over twice before i got busted and even then it was only because he heard the cooler noise. this tine when i put it back on i will put a plumb back bov and a air box so it is quiet. lets see how long it lasts this time :D

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2