Fordmods Logo

EL Fairmont Ghia Stereo surround. 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: EL Fairmont Ghia Stereo surround.
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:49 am 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 4

Joined: 23rd Nov 2010

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 97 EL Fairmont Ghia

Hey Guys, Just purchased a El F/Ghia and the previous owner replaced the original stereo with a single head Kenwood. Is there a surround out there to fill the horrid hole that is there now. Silly question but first one I have owned and I really have no idea. Any thoughts!!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont Ghia Stereo surround.
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 5582

Joined: 20th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

Location: Seven Hills, Sydney
NSW, Australia

Hi. Welcome to Fordmods.

You can use any of the stereo surrounds found in the EF/EL dashes. Most cars only had the single din surround, so it should be easy to find one.

Cheers
BenJ

 

_________________

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont Ghia Stereo surround.
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 4

Joined: 23rd Nov 2010

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 97 EL Fairmont Ghia

Thanks heaps Ben!!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont Ghia Stereo surround.
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11739

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

As Ben said...any of the EF/EL will fit. However if you are pedantic about style/practicality there is a difference between the EF and EL surrounds.

The only difference is that the ash tray flip down cover in the EF is one long piece which also covers the cigarette lighter. EL one has a smaller separate flip down cover which only covers the ash tray compartment leaving the cigarette lighter socket exposed. Personally I like the EL one better since you can plug in your GPS/Phone charger without having the cover flipped down.

Either way there should be plenty around from wreckers of either of them.

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont Ghia Stereo surround.
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 843

Joined: 20th Feb 2010

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

Location: Elizibif Norf (Local Spelling!!)
SA, Australia

phongus wrote:
As Ben said...any of the EF/EL will fit. However if you are pedantic about style/practicality there is a difference between the EF and EL surrounds.

The only difference is that the ash tray flip down cover in the EF is one long piece which also covers the cigarette lighter. EL one has a smaller separate flip down cover which only covers the ash tray compartment leaving the cigarette lighter socket exposed. Personally I like the EL one better since you can plug in your GPS/Phone charger without having the cover flipped down.

Either way there should be plenty around from wreckers of either of them.

Must be different in the Fairmonts etc, both mine and my ex's EF GLI's have the smaller ashtray door / seperate cig lighter socket. Every day you learn something new. :)

 

_________________

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.


Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont Ghia Stereo surround.
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 4

Joined: 23rd Nov 2010

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 97 EL Fairmont Ghia

Thanks Phong!! As I said I have no idea at this stage so all input is appreciated :) Is it hard to get the surround out? I have the El variety there now and would like to keep it that way. I love this Ghia, should have bought a Ford years ago... lol!! Paul :)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont Ghia Stereo surround.
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 5582

Joined: 20th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

Location: Seven Hills, Sydney
NSW, Australia

EF1 has the full length door, EF11 and EL have the shorter one.

Cheers
BenJ

 

_________________

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont Ghia Stereo surround.
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 5051

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

Location: Westside
VIC, Australia

Esteven8 wrote:
Must be different in the Fairmonts etc, both mine and my ex's EF GLI's have the smaller ashtray door / seperate cig lighter socket. Every day you learn something new. :)


Phong is describing an EF1 to EF2 changeover thing.

Majority of EF1's had the large door style. There is a point in late EF1 that they changed to the newer style (which is the carryover to EL) because people weren't happy with the design of the original one and owners kept on breaking that large flimsy door.

Ford probably did alot of warranty replacements and wanted something more robust.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont Ghia Stereo surround.
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 4

Joined: 23rd Nov 2010

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 97 EL Fairmont Ghia

Thanks heaps fella's!!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont Ghia Stereo surround.
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11739

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Esteven8 wrote:
phongus wrote:
As Ben said...any of the EF/EL will fit. However if you are pedantic about style/practicality there is a difference between the EF and EL surrounds.

The only difference is that the ash tray flip down cover in the EF is one long piece which also covers the cigarette lighter. EL one has a smaller separate flip down cover which only covers the ash tray compartment leaving the cigarette lighter socket exposed. Personally I like the EL one better since you can plug in your GPS/Phone charger without having the cover flipped down.

Either way there should be plenty around from wreckers of either of them.

Must be different in the Fairmonts etc, both mine and my ex's EF GLI's have the smaller ashtray door / seperate cig lighter socket. Every day you learn something new. :)


You and me both haha.

Thanks for the correction Ben and Adrian...:)

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont Ghia Stereo surround.
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 843

Joined: 20th Feb 2010

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

Location: Elizibif Norf (Local Spelling!!)
SA, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Esteven8 wrote:
Must be different in the Fairmonts etc, both mine and my ex's EF GLI's have the smaller ashtray door / seperate cig lighter socket. Every day you learn something new. :)


Phong is describing an EF1 to EF2 changeover thing.

Majority of EF1's had the large door style. There is a point in late EF1 that they changed to the newer style (which is the carryover to EL) because people weren't happy with the design of the original one and owners kept on breaking that large flimsy door.

Ford probably did alot of warranty replacements and wanted something more robust.

These must have been replaced at some point, her's is a 94 and mine's a 95 so both series 1.

 

_________________

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.


Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont Ghia Stereo surround.
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 5051

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

Location: Westside
VIC, Australia

They definitely are a rarity.

I've only ever seen 2 of them in the whole time I've been playing with e-series.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:03 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names