Fordmods Logo

4.0L I6 Supercharger kits 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I'd be after the power down low, I mean that's were I drive the car most, and that's what I need to light up the back tires and that. Another reason why I wouldn't really considering turboing.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

If ford can get a GT40 providing max torque from 2000rpm, I'm sure you could get a turbo kit for your car to do the same/similar and that'd tear your tyres up easily and give you plenty of low down urge.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
I'd be after the power down low, I mean that's were I drive the car most, and that's what I need to light up the back tires and that. Another reason why I wouldn't really considering turboing.

Most turbo packages available for the I6 produce huge power gains down low, with good boost kicking in at 2000rpm or lower if the right turbo is selected. I have never heard of anyone complaining about lag on turbo falcons, the big capacity spools the turbo really quickly. On the other hand, centrifugal blowers like the Powerdyne and Vortech do not produce boost until high in the rev range.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:39 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

WA, Australia

Positive displacment VS centrufical debate has gone on forever and will continue to go on, P/D has boost from idle. Not necesarrily a good thing they have more traction problems and have more of a tendancy to break things, Also in this case intercooling the P/D would be a nightmare, Thats why they rely on water injection.

Apparently 90% of the time you are using 20% or less of the throttle, also makes the P/D sound more appealing

twr7cx, You didn't say you were looking for a cheeper option,

2c

They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes!

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:

As per other's comments - i think you need to re-look at this. Select the right turbo for the application and this is exactly what you'll get.... of course, assuming the tune is right. Look at the typhoon - peak torque at 2000rpm, all due to turbo selection/design and tune....

A centrifugal blower will produce peak power at high revs... the more you rev, the more boost it creates. Having said this, they do not 'lack' power down low... im sure youve seen the dyno graphs ive posted up and the boost to low end power is certainly noticeable. Pos Disp blower is the obvious choice but IMO would be a nightmare to rig up on the I6... unless someone does Pos Disp manifolds for these engines?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

My AU boosts at 2000 with a GT40, 1.06 rear housing. Plant the foot and it wheelspins. Even at 100kms lol.

My EB didnt hit boost till about 2500, its a big difference but the EB would be easier to race. It didnt rip the tyres apart once it came on boost as it was already moving well. The AU just smokes the tires on heavy acceleration anywhere from 0 and 80kms/hour. Its fun but 19 inch tyres cost too much!

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Hmmmm... Ok, cheers for the comments. I'm going into get quotes for the diff today. I'll worry abit more about this stuff when I'm actually in a situation to go through with it, but last night I was looking at those Snort Performance turbo kits and there definately in my price range if I sold the bike, only problem after that is insurance- I'd probably need to have third party if I was driving a turbo six.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
My AU boosts at 2000 with a GT40, 1.06 rear housing. Plant the foot and it wheelspins. Even at 100kms lol.

My EB didnt hit boost till about 2500, its a big difference but the EB would be easier to race. It didnt rip the tyres apart once it came on boost as it was already moving well. The AU just smokes the tires on heavy acceleration anywhere from 0 and 80kms/hour. Its fun but 19 inch tyres cost too much!

I guess ratio's came into that..Diff and compression...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
Dansedgli wrote:

I guess ratio's came into that..Diff and compression...

Probably, I should also mention that the AU has a 2400 stall. Same diff ratio's and Im not sure on the compression but it has headwork and a custom cam which would add to boost coming on earlier as well.

But thats the difference between a stock falcon engine and one made for boost.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I doubt compression would be 8.8 though..In the A.U..More like 9.0 or so...The auto deff would help also...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2