Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Convert AU to Low-Restriction BA Induction Tube - Part 1
Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I was concerned about the obvious restriction in the induction of my AU2 XR6 VCT, so went about fixing it. The objective was to significantly improve breathing, while retaining a factory look. I have taken pics along the way to document it, in case anyone else wants to try it. Prices are in NZ$, so will be less in AU$ - sometimes a lot less.

The inspiration for this mod was an article by Julian Edgar in Autospeed (http://www.autospeed.co.nz/cms/A_107828/article.html) which I used to successfully modify my EF XR6 airbox exit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For a start, the paper filter element was replaced by a Simota panel filter ($46).

The next thing to go was the standard skinny snorkel. I replaced it with a factory XR8 (BA or AU) or XR6T snorkel, which is significantly larger, but a straight bolt-in ($85).
Test
Attachment:
PC240001b.JPG

The factory AU induction tube is very restrictive, with four sharp bends and a very small (50mm/2") airbox exit.
Attachment:
P1290001b.JPG

The BA tube ($60) has a larger and more constant cross-section, with a smooth continuous curve. And it bolts straight into the AU, using the same locating points on the intake manifold. The attachment point on the shock mounting bolt is not used and can be removed.
Attachment:
P1290009b.JPG

This leaves a gap between the induction tube and the airbox, so a length of pipe needs to be inserted to bridge the gap. The airbox exit is ridiculously small, so needs to be replaced. We can kill two birds with one stone by simply removing the airbox exit (4 bolts) and replacing it with a length of 3" PVC drain pipe ($15 for 1.5 metre length).

The pipe I used was 76mm inside diam and 80mm outside. 80mm happens to be EXACTLY the size of both the hole in the airbox and the inside of the induction flex tube so is a tight friction fit at both ends. It can be used without clamps or sealant and without modifying the airbox in any way.

This gives a feel for the difference in size of the standard tube and the 3" pipe:
Attachment:
P1290003b.JPG

Here is the new pipe beside the standard airbox exit, from the inlet side:
Attachment:
P1290004b.JPG

To be continued....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Last edited by efxr6wagon on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Convert AU to Low-Restriction BA Induction Tube - Part 2
Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

This is the view from the outlet side:
Attachment:
P1290005b.JPG

Here is the size of the hole in the airbox with the exit piece removed:
Attachment:
P1290012b.JPG

You have probably noticed that the pipe has a slight bell-mouth at the airbox end. This was acheived easily with a heatgun and used a funnel as a former. The length of pipe required to bridge the gap and provide a bell-mouth was about 18cm. It was then wet-sanded, cleaned and painted with satin black to closely match the factory finish.
Attachment:
P1290010b.JPG

When the paint was dry, the pipe was inserted from inside the airbox - a bit of a tight fit, but airtight without sealant:
Attachment:
P1290018b.JPG

The end of the pipe slips snugly into the induction flex tube. The clamp is not necessary, but I put it on anyway for added security and a factory look.
Attachment:
P1290019b.JPG

To be continued...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Post subject: Convert AU to Low-Restriction BA Induction Tube - Part 3
Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

The only issue left to sort was the oil breather tube. On the AU, it attaches to the induction tube from the back. But on the BA it attaches at the front, so the existing AU breather tube is far too short. I fixed that for the time being with about 30cm of heater hose ($5), joined to the existing breather tube with a short piece of 15mm pipe I had laying around. I will replace it with proper breather tube during the week when I can find a source for it.

Here are pics of the finished job:
Attachment:
P1290022b.JPG

Attachment:
P1290024b.JPG

Attachment:
P1290025b.JPG

Attachment:
P1290026b.JPG

I also had an aluminium "scoop" left over from the SS Inductions Big Mouth kit on my EF and attached it behind the grill to direct air into the snorkel.

So, for a very reasonable cost, I have significantly improved the breathing on the intake side, yet you wouldn't pick it as modded unless you knew what to look for. The former bottleneck of the airbox exit now flows more than twice as much. There is no noticeable increase in induction noise. But there is a noticeable increase in performance. The car feels lighter, as it requires less throttle for the same acceleration. And it continues to pull hard higher into the revs before running out of puff.

Next upgrade: exhaust :twisted:

Post subject: Re: Convert AU to Low-Restriction BA Induction Tube - Part 1
Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Well Done, cant wait to see if it improved you fuel econ? But a easy cheap way to upgrade your intake most people can do this, with minimal outlay and tools.

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

s**t ,i wished you put this up yesterday,i did this with my futura yesterday,this would have been helpful, i had to drill a hole in mine for the gas inlet which meant i had to buy another inlet as i buggered up the first ......but easy as ,worth doing , great write up.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I did this about 8 months ago and got a piece of pipe to make it fit into the air box. I used an EA PCV hose, a piece of plastic conduit and the original AU hose, joined together and voila. :)
Attachment:
DSCF3100.JPG
Attachment:
DSCF3102.JPG

Attachment:
DSCF3104.JPG

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

That looks very tidy. I think I'll copy that. Thanks.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i bought the BA intake, and there was no way it looked like it was going to fit properly. The AU pipe coming from the airbox outlet has a sharp bend to the right & upwards to clear the aircon hose.

I couldnt see anyway to run a pipe striaght out of the airbox with fouling on the aircon hose, and gave up on the idea. I have took out the guts on the airbox outlet to a 3" opening

however on my EF, it worked beautifully

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

In mine, the aircon hose was very close, but not in the way at all. I guess there must be variations on the routing of the aircon hoses among the AUs. But I can't think why an AU2 Ghia would be any different from my AU2 XR6 - they have identical VCT engines. Would climate control change hose placement?

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

that air con line can be 'manipulated'

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon AU II

NSW, Australia

Wow this is fantastic. thanks!

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AU 1 Futura,Previous-EA 2 S Pac

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the write up efxr6wagon, i just completed this mod & it works very nicely. I also saw the autospeed article & in conjunction with your well written thread i had no worries finishing the job.
Keep up the good work! :D

cheers,Maka

Maka- Damn all those beer binges in my youth! Oh crap, what was that?- I forgot! Dont laugh-I bet you're the same!

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Cool! I'm lazy, so like an easy upgrade. I've since replaced the snorkel with the one with the Tickford wings (same size) - the wings must be good for another 5kw at least :lol: Glad the write-up helped.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Just fitted mine on the weekend... In my build linked in my sig... Just posted pics tonight...

I capped the breather on the BA tube and fitted an EF throttle body and hose to the rear of the rocker cover... Also an EF lid which has the internal trumpet and a larger hole than the AU one...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:08 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Has anyone had any issues with the PVC pipe? All the 80mm pipe has an od of 82.5mm which makes a difference, ie there is no way it will fit without some serious grinding.

All help would be most appreciated.

Cheers

James

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next