Fordmods Logo

TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon 

Page 19 of 78 [ 1167 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 78  Next

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ro88bo wrote:
Great Work Mate. :mrgreen:

Cheers... :mrgreen:

Should turn out to be a real backsaver... I'm all for using gravity and hydraulics where possible... The theory was it has potential in the trailer as its higher than the ground so gravity should be able to unload it for me... :mrgreen: Now it does...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Last edited by TimmyA on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Ash wrote:
That's crap Tim. So crap you better give it to me so I can use it! :lol: :wink:

Haha... Lucky I live like 7 hours away from you... I think it'll be safe in my backyard... :P Previous to this I was borrowing the hydraulic tipper from work... Its a hassle though... Big... bogey axled thing... Has a big pump on it... Has to be dual chassis because you need the lower half for the wheels to anchor to and the upper part to provide structure to the floor when tipping... Just a pain... Now I have my own... Complete with portable battery pack...

My trailer might have a whole 20kgs extra steel in it... So is still around the 250kg mark unloaded... See how long it last til something breaks anyway... Then I'll make that part stronger... Once the weak spots (if any arrise) are sorted it should be fairly spot on... :D

Already inspired a family friend to do the same to his trailer...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

That is somewhat brilliant Tim.
If you changed the lazy wheels on the back to a slightly larger inflatable type it wouldnt dig into the ground when it was winching with weight in it and make things a lot easier on the winch.
I have a solid rubber wheel onthe jockey wheel of the camp trailer and my old man had a larger inflatable one on his and his was 1000 times easier to push around! Mine comes in at about 1000kgs loaded his was closer to 1700kg and was still much easier.
I still need to change mine around to take the inflatable wheel.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Only reason I didn't do that was the loading on the wheels...

The inflatable ones (I searched ebay to be a tight a**)... Seemed to be rated for bugger all weight... and Worked on about 1/2" dia axle... The tubes inside again weren't rated for much weight...

So I thought brilliant I'll go hard rubber...

The wheels you see are solid steel contruction with hard rubber round the outside... They have a 25mm bore... The lazy wheel axles are a piece of 30mm solid bar, ends machined to 25mm to take the wheels... The round bar has strip steel welded around it to be a "nice" fit inside the 40mm RHS on the rear... They are 500mm long each and held in place with a spring loaded pin... There is 10mm x 40mm bar welded to the RHS to strength it...

I could bet it in pneumatic tyres would pop and at only 1/2" bore would bend/break the ends off the axles...

Remember in this scenario the trailer weighs in at 250kgs (roughly) and I had around 750kgs of load in it... Sooner as the main wheels come off the ground I'd reckon at least two thirds of the weight would be on those wheels... Maybe a third on the towbar... So thats 6 or 7 hundred kgs on those little wheels... So I wouldn't settle for anything that runs on an axle smaller than 25mm dia...

And 9 time out of 10 when your out the tip its on road base anyway... But I do know what your saying... That was set up with a snatch too... I wonder whether two snatches would make much difference... Not sure how length on the drum goes for three... (4000LB synthetic line winch) Because they say something like at least 5 turns around the drum, any less you risk it coming off the drum or something of that nature (breaking the crimp on the cable)...

Whats your thoughts on pneumatic wheels taking that weight Matt?

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited by TimmyA on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Ash wrote:
7 hours hey, so you would never expect me then 8-) :lol: :lol:

I need to get in a whole lot of dirt too and a bob cat or something of the sorts. Something like that would help the process to reduce the costs in hours on the bob cat.
I still lack that "time" thing, don't even really know what that is, it just gets away so quickly.

Good work mate. I'm sure if something does happen to give, you'll have it sorted out quickly anyway!

Yes... I know about bobcat costs... I have a bob cat licence... But not many people like to dry hire you their probably 200,000 dollar bob cat... Wonder why... :lol:

I hope the only thing that ever breaks is the winch cable... Trailer is moderately over engineered... The original hinges were two 12mm bolts running it about 3mm thick plate bent into a u shape... Seemed suss... Esp when you overload from what the name plate says it can legally carry...

So now its two 20mm bolts... they are running in 1/2" thick plate, bushed everywhere with thick wall heavy duty pipe so the surface area where it rubs is spread much larger so less wear occurs... Should be "shear off" proof I feel... :D

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Ash wrote:
You have a licence? You know I have a job for you then if you ever buy a bob cat :lol:

Lots of farmers around here have them or similar machinery. I'll be sure to ask around before I contact a big mob. You know what country towns are like Tim, someone always knows someone who would be happy to help out.

I do... Had to get one for work to be able to drive the Kanga Loader with the 4 in 1 bucket (like a Dingo digger)... Funny story that... Can drive it with the trenching chain without a licence... Need a licence as soon as the 4 in 1 bucket goes on... Can't do the licence test on it... Its no bigger (but need the licence to operate it? :? ) so we had to hire a bob cat for a day to get our licence... Not that I can quite remember the start up sequence for the bob cat... :?

remind me of that ad... "And Bob is a good bloke to know because he owns a bob cat"...

That's the country way mate... Offer assistance where possible for a carton or two... ;)

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Don't use a cannon to kill a mosquito either...

A bobcat is for loading a dump truck... My trailer just holds two bobcat scoops...
A bobcat is more suited to setting up for a new subdivision...

A Dingo bucket is ideal for a car trailer... Gets quite a few scoops in... Easy to manoeuvre in you yard... Bit easier to operate... And is suited for smaller back yard jobs... (I borrowed works one a couple of times till the banned borrowing tools on the weekend... :(

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Ash wrote:
But my backyard isn't exactly small. I have 2500sqm's with the majority of it weeds :roll: , shed :mrgreen: and house. :lol:

Bobcat :P

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

+ Dump Truck... Trailer will be no good... 8-)

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:03 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Ash wrote:
The guy two doors up has a front end loader. It just wouldn't be as useful in the terraced parts.

It'll still get in there and get the job done trust me... :mrgreen:

But it may not be as "terraced" as it was to start with :P

haha... heavy machinery is brilliant... Saves some back breaking work... Would have hated to be doing "back in the day" :shock:

I'm off to bed... Catch ya...

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Final chapter to the old steering wheel mod...

new head unit turned up the other day... Latest Sony one out of the states...

So installed that yesty, made up the patch harness for it and all...

Today was getting the wheel to control it... After having an issue with programming the PAC (no thanks to sticky radio buttons, thanks for the dodgey buttons Ash :P ), it now works awesome :D

The PAC is a brilliant idea and just works... simple to use and understand and helpful after sales service (only US vehicles listed in the "how to" guide)...

I guess there is really not much sense in showing a photo of it because the point is when I press vol + on the wheel the vol goes up :D

So thats the larger majority unless I upgrade to a FG wheel at some stage...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:30 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah does have quite a bit now actually... The oils from the hands seem to give it a hard time unfortunately... The leather is OK just the perferated parts wear... Next time I may go full leather... But I will wait and see what becomes available for FG steering wheels first I may go that way to get the bluetooth button on wheel, plus the rediculously oversize horn pad is somewhat reduced looking...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:40 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I haven't really been only due to the buttons never working so no real need... I may look a little hard now... Usually just search ebay every so often... Wouldn't expect to pay much over the $200 mark though (buttons included)... When you consider the price of buttons alone can head up toward the $100 mark (as they do with BA ones, esp the silver ones)...

The airbag/horn pad will the hard part to find... Usually the wheel has come off a pranged car so the airbag has been deployed... Something always turns up though...

Just gotta be in the right place at the right time...

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:34 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

haha...
sooner rather than later...

FG Leather Wrapped Steering wheel...

$150 :mrgreen:

My Excitement

Priceless :roll: haha

Attachment:
FG Wheel.JPG

Now once this is going The BA running gear my be up for sale if someone wants it all for there EF/EL The cruise switches are wired and had the resistor changed to suit the EF/EL cruise module...

Do however note it set up to run without an airbag at present...

I am using all 5 wires in the EF/EL clock spring to make it work at the moment... However it could be dropped back to 4... If you weren't going to hook up the radio buttons back to 3 and this would give the two back for the airbag... Of if you did want the radio buttons it would need an AU clock spring (6wires)...

If someone was to want this gear let me know... We'll come to some kind of arrangement... If it needs to be an AU clock spring, it can be sent to me... I'll change the plug on the top end of the clock spring so its plug and play...

So yeah... Let me know... Will work out a game plan to adapt it into any car... Radio buttons will require a PAC adaptor and a headunit that accepts wired remote in...

As always only to happy to help... As to now its wait for the FG wheel... Re-wire the cruise buttons set up an AU clock spring this time and see if another button can be incorporated to the bottom blank under the cruise buttons :wink:

Cheers,
Tim

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:49 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

:?

Good question...

None on ebay atm...

Trouble a deployed one has destroyed the hornpad... So as with the BA one I'll need an undeployed one and then remove it from the assembly (safer not being in there I feel)

May hit up FTG and see if they have any there...

Sort by  
 Page 19 of 78  [ 1167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 78  Next