Fordmods Logo

Advice needed for gas coversion for EF XR6 wagon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Advice needed for gas coversion for EF XR6 wagon
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:58 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, just wondering if there is any gas gurus out there that can give me a bit of advice on what to do?

I have an EF XR6 wagon, got it for use mainly as a daily driver, but also for towing a car trailer up to wintom when we take cars up there. I got the 2300kg towpack for it, and its an auto with transmission cooler so it should be able to handle it alright.

I want to get it converted to gas to make it a bit cheaper as a daily, all my other cars I bought with gas on them so I still havent claimed on my gas rebate. I have a set of scuba gas tanks here for it. What I would really like to do though is go straight gas and replace the petrol tank with the gas tank and still have my spare tire out of the way. I know the gas tank is thicker than the petrol tank, but is there any chance of getting it to fit. The HD towpack hangs down a fair way and should protect the gas tank if it sits a little lower than usual. I was told that if a line is traced from the rear wheel contact point to the lowest point in the rear of the car, the gas tank cant hand lower than that line.

My intention was to get it converted to a GRA system at Rapidflow, which is around $2500 if I supply the tank (which is out of date). However I bought some seatbelts from place in Sunshine on Friday and they do gas conversions, I think they operate under the name Gas Tune, but not sure. Eventually got around to talking about it, and they said they use an OMVL converter with a Sprint Gas mixer, and can do an kit (if I supply the out of date tanks) fitted for $1700.

I had sprint gas on my ED and never had an issue with it. Just wondering how much of a restriction it will place on the intake side of things. My plans for performance on the wagon are pretty basic, just extractors, exhaust and putting in a CMS 2A cam eventually. Will the sprint gas mixer cause any major restriction for such a mild setup, I am because I have heard people say things both ways, huge restriction, or barely any. I am really tempted to go with the spring gas system both for the cheapness factor and that GRA is probably overkill for the wagon

Any advice/opinions would be great.

Post subject: Re: Advice needed for gas coversion for EF XR6 wagon
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:44 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I doubt you'll get the scuba setup any lower as you'll run out of wheel well for the brackets to mount to.
The only other setup I have seen is the half petrol tank larger LPG tank option. From memory, the tank is around 80L usuable - the scuba is around 60L usuable. But as you can see, the spare wheel still sits upright near the RHR wheel arch.
Pic is from Ausedwagon's build thread:
I've gone the scuba setup in my EFXR6 wagon, as it is much straightforward to fit. I removed the 2300kg towbar (f*ck was it heavy), and went to a std unit.
Ausedwagon has the LPG panel filler in the rear bumper - hit your installer for the integrated petrol/LPG filler - they're still available and look so much better.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:53 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that mate, perfect timing too, I am dropping it in tomorrow to get done next week. I decided on duel fuel in the end for a variety of reasons, main one being that I will be using the car for going away in and gas up north is a lot more expensive and less available. I drove up to brisbane last summer in a straight gas car, never got stuck but had to plan where to go to get fuel after nearly getting stuck once or twice haha.

I had a bit of a trial fit with the spare tire yesterday and should still have plenty of space in the back when its mounted as it is in that picture, so should be all good.

Its going sprintgas with an OMVL converter, with the scuba tank ontop of petrol tank. I will make sure that they get an integrated filler for it, I much prefer that look too.

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I suppose later if you wanted to, you could go an LPG vapour injection setup - the JX Autogas setup I'm using has been really good.
There's a few threads on here about it - actually Mick @ Mick's Pro Gas is over at Delacombe (Ballarat).

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]