Fordmods Logo

In the market for a new car 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: In the market for a new car
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:04 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

I've finally decided to up grade my EL Ghai for something nice and new. I decided it was time for a near new car.

I like a large RWD so my only two options was FG or VE. I am a Ford man but have come to point in my life where i just want a decent car doesn't matter what brand it is.

First car i test drove was an 06 VE sv6, first impression was not too bad of a package from Holden. The ride quality was pretty smooth brakes quite good but auto was far from good quality. Worst thing of all was the A pillar blind spot, approaching a really small round-about i could not see driver entering to my right, was nearly an accident!

Second car i test drove was 09 FG XR6, there was an 09 VE SV6 at same wholesaler so i did a back to back comparison. This is what i found

The FG has better door handles, the VE door handles look same as FG but they are hard to open. That may sound pathetic but if you compare you will understand. Next thing you notice when you turn key on the FG has nicer display coloring, the VE's red display coloring looks like an old Audi. Now driving position, all the utter crap the car mags go on how FG has a flawed driving position i was expecting something bad. Getting out of FG straight into a VE there is not a major difference in driver position, yes the VE seat goes lower down and the steering wheel is a little higher up. But saying FG has a flawed driving position as its major bad point is so pathetic, all i needed to do was adjust seat to suit me. Next thing is engines, the VE has more power but in the real world it actually felt lacking maybe not enough torque for such a large car i found the 4.0 to be superior engine for real world driving.

Over all to me the FG is the nicer car of the two, now i just need to decide on g6e or xr6

Post subject: Re: In the market for a new car
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:51 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

G6E Turbo's are still quite expensive would take at least another year of saving

It's time to upgrade the old EL couldn't wait another year

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Its a no brainer. G6E looks so much better, interior is much nicer too.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

if g6e-T is outta ur budget and its only outta xr6 and g6e then definatlyy the g6e is the way to go.
xr6 is just a xt falcon with a few badges and body kit.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

AU series 1 is a huge leap ahead from the EL. why not that? :lol:

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

the s**t engine in the VE has f**k torque, and needs heaps of revs to go anywhere, well in the SV6 3.6 SIDI hire car i drove anyway. and i found they had really flat uncomfy seats.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

Just here to stir some s**t.

@ Alfy - I had a SIDI 3.6 SV6 hire car about 6 weeks ago. Racked up almost 2000km in the week I had it, mostly highway, and I had to say I was impressed by the engine. Revvy as all hell, sounded quite reasonable up top (although, left a bit to be desired at the lower revs) and I found the car overall to be quite good.

I found two major downsides with the car though:
6 Speed auto gearbox - Was absolutely woeful. It couldnt make its mind up, was rough on the downshifts, managed to make the cruise control do wierd things as it downshifted at the wrong times. All in all, it let the car right down for me.
Position of the key on the key fob - I know it sounds silly, but the key blade was 90 degrees to the handle and the slot in the barrel was on the wrong angle, and it just felt all wrong. Seriously, I just could not get the f**k thing to go in as it was all on C**k eye angles. A little thing, but it p****d me off! :lol:

@ ELboy - I drove an FG GT a couple of years ago (when they were still fairly new) and I had to agree on the seating postion. I felt like I was trying to steer with my hands down in my lap!

I havent driven a 6 cyl one, but when I sat in one it did feel better though...

Now I've finished stirring, sounds like you've done your comparison the right way anyway, and looking at the little things is good too, they are the things that will s**t you day to day.

I've always figured buy the car that grabs you and puts a smile on your face, irrespective of brand. And if that's not what you are looking for, then go buy a camry and put a cardigan on! :P

Out of the two, I'd be trying to go for the G6E, comfortable and luxury, yet just as quick as the XR6 and still handles well.

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

xr6 is the same as xt, just more sporty looking seats, door trims, and dash. better bodykit, rims, and some badges. heaps of them out and about, as they were being heavily discounted new. should be able to find a 2nd hand one fairly cheap.

g6e is the same as xt with leather seats, 6 speed zf, split zone climate control, high end icc with premo sound-in dash 6 stacker and bluetooth, different rims, different body kit, 8 way power adjustable drivers seat, memory mirrors and seats, different dash, different badges, and im fairly sure better suspension from my comparison drives.

so id take the g6e any day of the week. actually i did.

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

Quote:
6 Speed auto gearbox - Was absolutely woeful. It couldnt make its mind up, was rough on the downshifts, managed to make the cruise control do wierd things as it downshifted at the wrong times. All in all, it let the car right down for me.
Position of the key on the key fob - I know it sounds silly, but the key blade was 90 degrees to the handle and the slot in the barrel was on the wrong angle, and it just felt all wrong. Seriously, I just could not get the f**k thing to go in as it was all on C**k eye angles. A little thing, but it p****d me off! :lol:

I agree with the gearbox, I also had a drive of an SV6 SIDI hire car, i drove it "spiritedly" through the adelaide hills, and after about 10 minutes the gearbox was acting as if it was totally confused, holding gears unnecessarily, upshifting early, upshifting 2 at once, that sort of thing.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 EL Falcon - Last of the EL's

NSW, Australia

i read somewhere that Ford was moving to the american V6 this year or next so that would make the FG an instant classic, good time to get an FG because i will put money on that americans CANNOT build a car as good as we can, the FG 6cyl has been compared to BMW's its that good.

i would buy the cult statis XR6 Turbo, in a few years when the yank crap fully hits the streets and people are looking for a good 2nd hand car to trade there new Taurus in on, the FG XR6 Turbo will be highly sort after.

why are women like clouds? eventually they f**k off and its a really nice day.

telling the truth is just lack of imagination

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]