Fordmods Logo

4 Speed Auto into XF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: 4 Speed Auto into XF
Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I own a 1986 Fairmont Ghia and was wondering if it is possible to fit one of the 4speed auto from the later models into it. Has anyone attempted it before, and what would be the major problems?

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:50 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

id say the biggest problem u will have is the ECU side of things...
running the loom is easy enough, but an XF may not have all the required sensors in other locations in the car to keep the auto ECY happy... EAII's had a seperate Transmission ECU

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Mounting points, tailshaft length also have to be considered, I belive the tailshaft spline will be fine if it is long enough.

If you dont have EFI, then I think the below will kill your idea, especially the TPS.

You need 3 feed wires for the trans computer very basically, VSS (vehicle speed), RPM (tacho feed) and A/C clutch fan on or off, will also require TPS, being TPS +5 (ref voltage), TPS negative, and TPS feed.

All of that is also dependant on the early EEC-IV output feeds being correct for the trans ECU (which i 99% believe they will be)

If all what I wrote is foriegn to you, maybe attemtpting this will be a big project for you (probably worth it though) and you should think it through.

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 2008 WQ Fiesta XR4

SA, Australia

Would it be better to try a non electronic AOD?

2008 WQ Fiesta XR4
2007 LS Focus CL

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:11 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: LTD

ACT, Australia

fairmont1998 wrote:
Would it be better to try a non electronic AOD?

only problem with that would be if you can get an adaptor from the AOD V8 bellhousing (that is appart of the tranny, non removable) to a 6cyl, if so, the AOD would be a good choice, but otherwise, thats probably a bad idea as well, about the only tricky bit of an AOD is getting the TV linkage set up, which is basically a manual throttle position setup of sorts, i was looking into putting one behind my 351, but didnt find one cheap enough, and the ones i want are built in the US, but shippings a killer.
you do see them around every now and then in the trading post though

Dan

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I have an EBII 4 Speed up for grabs.. its lost 2nd and 4th (band)... but it would be awesome for a project to try and fit it.... Id let it go for $40? Ill throw in whatever is needed, like torque converter, shifter, etc, etc...

I would like to see how possible it is... interesting.

only problem is we need someone in Sydney to try this?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

It has been done before - I met this guy @ Southalnd as he was getting into his XF wagon. We had a chat about panel repairs - my car needed some panel repairs @ the time - his XF wagon had a 4 speed auto in it, EFI engine on LPG and an EA S Pack instrument cluster.

Most of the work was already done when he bought the wagon - its used for dog shows around Australia - his wife uses it.

I nearly put a 4 speed auto in my NA fairlane, but ti would have been a lot of work. You need to change the shifter gate selector to allow for the extra gear, different ECU and computer fitted for thr power/economy option. The bell housing and that should all fit.

If you wanted to, why not put a 4.0L engine and 4 speed auto into the car altogether?

The car would handle a lot better than the old 4.1 EFI engine trying to compete with the 4 speed auto.

Instant Karma is gonna get you!

Post subject: Well, if your going to do a 4 speed conversion
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:02 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Aslong as youir going through all the trouble of putting in and mounting a 4-speed to the ol 250xflow you might aswell grab a 4.0l from an xg with a 4 speed auto and bung her in. Better engine 4 speed.

The only trouble you should have it lining up the t-bar. cutting the tunnel in the center should fix that though.

Muff

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:52 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XE S Pac

VIC, Australia

an idea for good power, buy a EA with a blown motor but GOOD gearbox, then go buy a mild EL Motor and drop it in! the carby intake off the EA withh bolt straight on the EL motor and u dont need an engys cert! ul get lke 180-190 KW if its a mild worked motor, thats my next trip, u could also go Eb ED but ea have head problems and can pick em up for like 150 easy

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:40 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

That sounds pretty 1337, but why would you keep the ECI (Electronic Carby Injection)? That and if the EA box you are talking about is the 3speed... lol. And Im sure you can stick an EL engine in an EA without certification, apart from registration paper s**t. All you need is a reciept of your new engine, and next time you get a pink slip. Show them.

180-190KW? Im assuming at the engine, otherwise..lol

It would probably be easier to work the EA engine over, and stick an ED head on it.

Oh, and he was asking about fitting a 4 speed... not getting more power, but now Im just been a smart a*** :P

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]