Fordmods Logo

TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon 

Page 30 of 78 [ 1167 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 78  Next

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon - Back To The VCT
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

No spare cams... :( Doubted it... May try it std anyway... Hunt down a cam then one day try a regrind...

New parts... :D Thanks George

Brand new Ford Genuine Spares turned up today... :D

So I have:

VCT Rocker Cover Gasket
Bolt to hold the phasor to the cam (Troy does yours have a washer for this bolt)?
New unbroken Spark lead holders from accross the rocker cover
Big O ring for phasor housing
Small O ring for phasor housing to phasor
4 new rocker cover bolts
3 phasor housing bolts

Troy, the brand new small o ring for the phasor is hard... They definitely are not rubber... They are a hard fibrous washer type thing with a diagonal split through them so you can "wind" it on to that phasor housing stalk...

Plus new wiper nozzles turned up from Pommy land... More on these once I trial mount them...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:20 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

tim.
i actually have a vct cam, the one from mine as im running a non vct cam..
just not sure what its worth???
im not sure about the washer, i can have a look...

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Ahhh... The new washer is a nice fit in the VCT phasor... As in next to no side play at all... The little bit of movement I was noticing is the movement of the washer on the d**k that sticks out inside the housing... I feel much better about the whole arrangement now... Definitely is a hard fibre washer with a factory split in it... Meant to be there otherwise you'd never get it on...

There is no washer for the bolt... I can see where the previous bolt was inside the phasor... Clearly had no washer on it...

I don't want to steal parts if you want to hang onto them to keep your VCT package complete... I can always look elsewhere for one... If you decide you want to part with it then I would be interest... If you want to keep it then by all means do so too...

Thanks,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon - Wiper Arm Mounted Washer Jets
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

After having my washer jets do nothing but bug the living s**t out of me since day dot... I have been reading...

Some cars have spray bars which are ok but look tacky... And I had a great idea one day... Our truck at work has the jets clipped to the wiper arm... I thought you beauty... Turned out impossible to find izusu washer jets on the net...

After many many hours of googling and searching I found a place in the UK which sells a universal nozzle... Postage was a killer and after a nice email they slashed the postage sending them out a cheaper way... Took maybe a week longer to get here... But the price was right...

So they clip around the arm... They have a stiff plastic hose on them you feed down through the spring... And then it changes to a nice flexible vac hose to route under the cowling at the top of the bonnet...

The clip was loose on the Falcon arms so I had some real thin insertion rubber here... I snipped to skinny section and clamped the jet around it and the arm... Fixed that problem...

I bought two straight joiners... This was so I could run the hose under the cowling and pop the two ends out as I fitted the cowling to the car... I then plugged in the joiners and then plugged in the wiper arm... Feed the joiner into the cowling and then bolted the arm back in place...

Used a cable tie on each arm to help hold the hose to the arm about mid span... And had to make the passenger wiper hole bigger too allow the hose through without crushing it... And I ran the last bit on the drivers side on top of the cowling (under the bonnet) due to the lack of space under it... Just drilled a hole for it and had to dremell the cowling a bit so it didn't kink the hose as the wiper arm came all the way down...

Last trick was the wiper blades have a rubber thing on them to cause the air to push them down... Because I wanted the top two jets (each arm now has 4 jets) to go above the blade I snipped a couple of sections of the rubber out so I could angle the jets down as far as possible so they didn't shoot off the car at full stroke...

I'm stoked... Work great... Make a funny noise... But who cares... Now I should always have functional jets no matter what speed I'm doing... Pics below should explain themselves I hope...

This one is out of focus on the drivers side to show the passenger pipe as it ducks into the cowling

And they are hard as s**t to video... But this will give you some idea...

Anybody who is keen they are here:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... asher-jets

I talked them into 8GBP shipping so was a whole $35 to $40... Email them if you are keen and ask if there any cheaper rates to here for two nozzles...

Let me know your thoughts...

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited by TimmyA on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Like your work. Only one of mine works properly. Trouble is that one is on the passenger side!

Thanks,

Evan.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

evxr6 wrote:
Like your work. Only one of mine works properly. Trouble is that one is on the passenger side!

Thanks,

Evan.

haha thanks for that... Mine was the same... Driver's one was crap...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Oh, that is just NICE!

I like that a lot Timmy.

Hmmmmm, another mod to put on the list.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

It's flash hey?

You can thank izusu for giving me the idea there...

Depending how you see fit to plumb them in... It cost me $38.24AUD for the nozzles... Some vac hose to get a tad more length, no doubt most of us have lying around... My two joiners (which helped change the hose size too) were $3... A grommet I had to protect the hose from the hole I drilled in the upper firewall... Two tiny pieces of insertion rubber I had to make them tight on the wiper arms...

So yep... Pretty much cost me $41 to do this mod and only a few hours after lunch... Some dremel work and the sort...

No doubt everybody would run their lines their own way but this is neat works just fine...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Hey Does anybody know those "unichips" work they use on the AU falcon? They must be different from the J3 chip I am guessing... And can they be used on earlier computers? Or it is a communication format that only the AU can understand?

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

washer jets on wiper arm = winner.

My dad's Tarago has that stock and I loved it...no water spray in locations you don't need and covers the whole area.

Another way of hiding washer jets is to mount them on the plastic cover/grill thing that runs along the bottom of the windscreen.

You going to remove the old washers and fill the hole up to make a smooth bonnet look?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

One day when it is properly garaged that is the intention Phong... For sure... The aim is to get it all painted once it lives out of the nasty sun... Got the assorted hail damage to the boot and roof...

The one day aim is to:

New straight bonnet (mine is warped for some reason)
New straight boot
Pop the dents out of the roof
New passenger door which has a crease in it, or get the crease pushed out

And then once it looks the part I'll get it all resprayed... Filling in those washer nozzle holes, and antenna hole in the mudguard and get a bonnet which doesn't have a hole so I can delete the bonnet emblem... Restore it to its former glory... This may be a few years off for now...

I always wanted one of those Kurnell Kustom fibreglass bonnets... Which is initially why I was prompted to move the jets... But they haven't made a mould for the ED bonnet yet and wont until they get 10 purchasers... May happen one day...

Cheers,
Tim

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon - VCT'ing This Weekend...
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Nothing like running out of internet... It has dropped back to snail pace... Bugger being home all together on the holidays and between download games, movies, updates and everything else in between as well as stacks of uploads we've used all the allowance with 10 days to go :cry:

Have now decided to use my phone as a modem to obtain a half reasonable speed...

Anyhow, My rocker cover has been painted but due to lack of bandwidth photos will be a coming once the ADSL is back again... So all set for this weekend... My mate is blasting the top of the BBM and my TFI heatsink so hoping he'll have them done before the weekend... Thursday I'll be stripping it down and checking for anything I need to be purchasing on Friday (I think the coil has a crack) and then I'll spend a couple of days putting it back together complete with VCT and BBM... I'll degree the harmonic balance and dial the VCT cam in according to Ford's spec... If the phasor doesn't line up I'll pull it back to bits and adjust the gears inside it to be right, but I think I have it right...

So at this point in time, pretty sure I have everything... Every hose and bolt and seal... No doubt something is missing though... Fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:03 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Still on the phone net, but as for an update...

Today we hit goals... Started about 11.30-ish and slowly pulled it to bits... But 3ish I had everything off the sides and front and just the head to go... As it stood tonight once it got dark, head is on, exhaust it done back up to it again, cam is in, I worked out a measurement for the balancer that 17mm on its circumference was 12degrees... So lined it up there and then dialled in the cam to .050mm as per Ford's spec... Locked the bolts up and it consistently dialled in there... I put the VCT back together very close to spot on in the middle of it's travel so that was ideal too... Just had to work the oil line for the VCT to miss the dizzy and then AC piping to miss the airbox... Dizzy is all loose so will look into that tomorrow... Coil is cracked so will get a new one tomorrow... And make up a mount for easy access and so that it operates at a non detrimental angle to it's life... Again pics and more once the net is back again...

I must say though... Does look impressive... :D

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Sounding mighty fine Tim!
I reckon Ill be chasing up a few sets of the washers to go onto the wipers before too long.
Awesome idea.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:40 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Thanks Matt!

I have had the privilege of using them at 100km hour the last couple of days... It is just magic having washer jets that actually get the windscreen at these speeds...

Cheers,
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 30 of 78  [ 1167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 78  Next