LIGHT PROBLEMS 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: LIGHT PROBLEMS
Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Falcon GLI

QLD, Australia

Hey guys ... my car has recently decided to stop using it's tail lights. Every time i wack a fuse in and turn the lights on the fuse blows. A mate of mine told me that the earth wire may have been disattached or something can someone please tell where abouts the tail light earth is and where i should reattach it if it un attached. Also my lights on the dash have stopped working...eg speedo,fuel,temerature, and tacho...... and also the lights that show what gear you are in. Please help me fix it.

My car is a 95 EF Falcon GLI... it has been lowered, 16inch CSA mags, rear spoiler, worked cams, Sony mp3 head deck, JBL 6 x 9's, JBL 6 inch splits, 12 inch pioneer sub and 1000 watt amp.

I only just installed the sound system myself and since then was when the dash lights stopped working. ANy help would be much appreciated. :(

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Basically everything from lights to stereo all run off of that one fuse. From memory its a fairly light fuse. If youre running your amp and sub off of the same wire for your stereo, this is where youll be running into trouble. If you ran a new power line for your amp, but not for your deck, then it might be a wire shorting out to earth, and if you replaced the wire to the stereo, the old wiremight be touching something. Did you solder and heat shrink or wrap the wires in tape? But id be guessing its your wiring. Check that out first. I dont think it would be your earth, unless it was intermittent and causing voltage spikes.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

ah ok, just had another read off your first post. If its only when you turn the lights on that it blows the fuse, then you may be looking at the lights wire going to the deck itself.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Post subject: hmmm
Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:05 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

the amp and sub are wired soley by themselves. could it be when i wired up the head deck ive cut the earth wire and not re attached it or screwed it up somehow

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Nah, i dont think its earth. If the earth is disconencted, no power flows, which mean theres no load on the fuse. Its almost 100% likely thats its a positive wire shorting to earth, either a connection that has come undone and touched metal, or one that isnt taped properly

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

hmmm im not sure of where abouts those wires your talking about are exactly.. so im not gonna try anything. me grandad is an ex auto electrician. ill get him to sort it out ay

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

TrainerJ wrote:
hmmm im not sure of where abouts those wires your talking about are exactly.. so im not gonna try anything. me grandad is an ex auto electrician. ill get him to sort it out ay

Did you wire this up yourself? Or did you use a plug adapter

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

yeh i did wire it up myself and i did use a wiring harness ...anything u can see where i went wrong

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

As in one of those little adapter plugs?

I chop the old plug off and whire everything totally from new when i do mine, and after managing to wire 4 or 5 so far, ive never had a problem. Just because a plug fits, doesnt mean it will work. The vn commodores for instance, take the exact same plug as a falcon when comparing stock stereos, but theyre not wired the same. So it may be the adapter

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED shagger wagon

QLD, Australia

i ran into this problem when i installed a stereo into my Landcruiser. i used the multimeter to find the earth wire and i attached the radio earth to what i thought was the earth. turns out i had attached the earth to the wire that lights up the radio when the headlights are turned on. my fuses kept on blowing, displaying very similar symptoms as you describe.

hope that helps

1994 ED wagon, 5-post bullbar, IPF 900XS spots, UHF

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: V8 VE Calais V Spec

Power: 262 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yeah, from memory, the brown wire supplies power to the Decks Illumination.... (I.E. the buttons and knobs will Illuminate when the parkers are turned on, because +12V is fed to the brown line when the parkers are turned on)

Also, the Cluster, trip computer, HVAC, PRND321, front park lamps, and rear park lamps all run from the same Circuit (I.E. THe Brown Wire)
(NOTE This is not the case for BAs)

First thing that I would check is that you arent using this as a ground, and that this wire isnt touching earth.
Check you wiring, and pay particular attention to the brown wire.
If your deck doesnt require an Illumination Line (I have seen some sonys, Pioneers Clarions and Kenwoods use this line to dim the display when the lights are on), then make sure that the line is cut

Hope this helps

VE Calais V8, IQ, HSV instruments and brembos fitted.
IQ, IPC, BCM all hacked and programmed without TECH2 :)

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

sorry its taken me sooo long to reply... thanks heaps guys.. should be able to fix it from all your i know the brown wire that u r speakin of. I will give it a go tommoro see if i cant fix it .....Thanx again :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]