snort turbo install pics 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: snort turbo install pics
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:39 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 2004 ba xr6 turbo

NSW, Australia

Just thought id post up some pics of my DIY turbo install onto na ba xr6 snort performance stage 2 kit, must say im very impressed with the quality of the kit and how nicely it fits up iv'e had it since April this year but only now have i had time to start the project, everything fits like a glove just thought id give snort performance a bit of a wrap, manifold, turbo, dump pipe sits so nice and looks real nice too, intercooler looks nice as well but needed a few front end mods to fit it in i.e. relocate horn, cut a lip of metal away from front end, no big deal took me, my mate and a grinder a few hrs to fit it up. the external wastegate isnt anything to brag about but it suits this application just fine, the blow off valve looks like a space ship LOL :mrgreen: in a good way, it looks pretty cool its a "mines" brand ive read up on them a bit they' re pretty good no complaints so im gonna use that one, maybe later i'll get a turbosmart trumpet well see how this one goes and sounds for now. so far its been smooth sailing thanks to snort performance hopefully i can get it all up and running with no hick ups. "fingers crossed"

Attachment:
383595_10150438790576372_586601371_8993213_538794348_n.jpg
383595_10150438790576372_586601371_8993213_538794348_n.jpg [ 136.03 KiB | Viewed 398 times ]

Attachment:
396208_10150438789836372_586601371_8993207_1098038420_n.jpg
396208_10150438789836372_586601371_8993207_1098038420_n.jpg [ 98.99 KiB | Viewed 403 times ]

Attachment:
404630_10150438787856372_586601371_8993196_458198867_n.jpg
404630_10150438787856372_586601371_8993196_458198867_n.jpg [ 83.35 KiB | Viewed 437 times ]

Post subject: Re: snort turbo install pics
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

just some more update pics for anyone interested ...

Attachment:
File comment: front bar sits perfectly with no modification with the inter cooler piping fitted
IMG_4273 mod.jpg
IMG_4273 mod.jpg [ 416.54 KiB | Viewed 359 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4267.JPG
IMG_4267.JPG [ 273.99 KiB | Viewed 392 times ]

hole drilled out on passengers side for inter cooler piping to pass through, washer bottle had to be chucked away and relocated with a new one from super cheap :mrgreen:

Attachment:
IMG_4268.JPG
IMG_4268.JPG [ 339.32 KiB | Viewed 371 times ]

hole drilled out on drivers side where the battery used to sit for inter cooler piping

Attachment:
IMG_4274.JPG
IMG_4274.JPG [ 309.1 KiB | Viewed 354 times ]

water feed line with industrial grade 200 degree silicon hose, also had to chop away a bit of the pipe where the hose attaches to on the bottom pipe to avoid kinking the hose

Attachment:
IMG_4275.JPG
IMG_4275.JPG [ 327.44 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]

water return line into bottle

Will post some more photos over the coming days, as i am hoping to have it all put together by Saturday/ Sunday

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

I was going to get a Stage 3 or 4 kit from snort in the new 2-3 months. How hard is it to put together? Will be my first turbo install, so I'm getting a second hand XT off a mate for dirt cheap as the gearbox is f**k in it. Let me know how the install goes and all :) I will probably hit you up for details come time for my own install :)

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

i would say not get the stage 3 or 4, if your only gonna slap it into an xt, a stage 2 kit will be fine i have it all up and running it started first go. BUT.

what I found when putting it on there was a lot of mucki9ng around, here is the list of s**t i had to do..( i will post pics of them all soon)

- relocate horn
- cut away lip in behind front bar where the impact plastic thing is for inter cooler to fit
- had to bend away air con pipe to JUST fit the inter cooler in symmetrically bit dogy but it still works
- relocate battery to the boot
- dump pipe extended to fit 3 in xhaust
- because the manifold comes powder coated it is a bit of a tight squeeze to fit on to the head bolts so I had to drill out all the holes so it would slip on nice
- to run the intercooler piping i had to drill 2 3" holes, one on the passengers side under where the intake box used to be and one under where the battery used to be, it worked out easier and cheaper for me to do it that way and it clears the front bar by a bees d**k, if i had run it under the head lights like i was initially planning to do it wouldn't have cleared the front bar at least on the xr6 front bar where the fog lights are, on an xt with out fog lights it might clear under the head light not sure.
- i had to remove the intake manifold to replace the map sensor to the xr6 turbo one which is a 2 BAR instead of a 1 BAR which is what the N/A is so I could run more boost. the 1 bar sensor is good for 4 psi if you dont want to change it but because i wanted to run about 7-10 psi i upgraded it. Dont buy one from ford, i nearly knocked the guy out when he told me it was $290 brand new, go to a wrecker, they pulled it off and gave it to me for $40 bucks. but price may vary where ever you may go
- replaced injectors
- i had brackets and hose barbs welded on to various different pipes, one barb/ nipple on to hot side cooler piping close to the turbo for the waste gate, and one onto cold side for BOV, because the BOV snort supplied me was a pull type BOV called a synchronic BOV look it up, it needs a boost source, and two vacuum sources aswell, but it sounds really nice, im gonna keep it, and the brackets i had welded onto various intercooler pipes to bolt them down for stability and support so they didn't rattle around and one onto the intake pipe snort supplied just to bolt that down cuz it was sorta just floppin there off the turbo near where the battery used to be behind the headlight
- water feed was taken from a bypass hose up the back near the heater core hoses, i had to grind a bit of the barb/ nipple away as it bent around to much and was awkward with the tee piece i had for it ..look in the pics. and water return was into the over flow bottle, see pics again.
- oil feed was pretty simple just un plug oil sender, un bolt it, put the oil feed connector pieces in and put it back together, that was easy enough to figure out, just a C*** to get to with out removing the intake manifold but can be done with out removing it, it was just conveinent i had it off so it took me 2 seconds lol.

- the oil return line snort supplied me is this fat plastic tube with stainless braiding on it and is not very flexiable at all, i had to cut that to length once the turbo was on and i measured it from the return on the turbo to the hole in the sump, which was where the xr6 turbo hole is.
- i had to get another sump and drill it out to size (the na has the spot where the standard xr6 turbo return goes but not drilled out so its easy to locate and drill) then once the hole was drilled i just got the piece off the end of the hose i was supplied and just threaded it in and left it the way it was very tight but that's cuz i was just using the thread on the piece to thread the sump, then the frame was dropped old sump removed and new one put in, but you could do this while the sump is on the car, but then you run the risk of getting metal shavings into your engine which isnt good, thats why I did mine like that, that was a massive headache but achievable enough.

once the sump and intercooler piping was sorted it took me a week to slap it together but, be prepared to spend AT LEAST another $2000 on parts to get it up and running then if you dont have a flash unit probably another 1200 - 1500 bucks to have it custom tuned incl. sct flash unit, the stage 2 kit cost $3000 and parts and other materials/ services are at absolute bare minimum $3000 on top to get it up and running unless you do some hunting and try and get stuff second hand or from where ever, but intercooler piping was gonna cost me about $700 bucks until my uncle had a whole bunch of 2.5 in stainless 90 deg elbows he just gave me, all i had to buy where some reducers and couplings and 90 degree silicon couplings, there was alot that went into it, and it was my first turbo install, i learned alot but im glad its over, i dont think i would do it again, but in saying that it was pretty fun and and very rewarding to spend all that time and effort and have it kick over first go, with no leaks no clunks no nothing AND i picked my car up 2 years ago for $8000 with 70,000kms on it 2004 ba xr6 from some old bloke, moving over seas. it was immaculate and still is , so i see it all up i spent about $15,000 incl. car price and i have a nice xr6 turbo that is fkin fun to drive, when i have it tuned i will let you know what sort of power i make, but on a stock motor, box and diff, i dont think i will push it more than 220 - 230 at the tyres, if you decide to go ahead and do it, dont listen to those C**k heads who just tell you but an xr6 turbo because obviously thats a given but if thats what you wanna do than do it, i had the car for 1yr before i decided I was gonna turbo it, i spent thousands fixing problems on it that are common to the BA, i wasn't gonna go out and buy another ba turbo that i wasnt familiar with and have s**t start breaking on me again... my car had heaps of s**t replaced, upgraded, and fixed on it, that i wasnt about to throw away for another dud ba turbo that i may have ended up spending more on it than if i had of turboed my already immaculate N/A .

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Wow, so much just to get a turbo installed lol good thing I have better part of a year to get it installed. Plus it's on a second car, so mine won't be off the road at all :D Cheers for all the extra info, bookmarked the page ^.^

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:29 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

yeah its a gob full but if you got time, knowledge and money you'll be sweet, wen i 1st bought the kit in march last year i spent this whole time till now learning and researching how turbos work what to do this and that I didnt know jack s**t, now if where to do it again it would be way easier but if u got questions ill answer them, ill get some pics soon and hopefully a vid too of it sounds aswell...

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Attachment:
IMG_4279.JPG
IMG_4279.JPG [ 339.27 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]

this is the cold side, its not staying like this im changing the stock plastic black pipe with s/s pipe and silicon joiners just have to figure it out, but it works like this for now

Attachment:
IMG_4281.JPG
IMG_4281.JPG [ 268.47 KiB | Viewed 426 times ]

A problem i noticed with the plastic overflow bottle is that it started melting as u can see in the pic, i was going to replace it anyways because if you look closely you can see water that has been leaking out of the lid, it has a f**k thread on it, so im gonna replace it with a metal one

Attachment:
IMG_4282.JPG
IMG_4282.JPG [ 250.47 KiB | Viewed 414 times ]

new spot for the horn, just drilled a hole, re ran the cables soldered it up and nut and bolted it in to place.

Attachment:
IMG_4283.JPG
IMG_4283.JPG [ 347.7 KiB | Viewed 398 times ]

Dont worry that will be cleaned up lol, but thats where i welded a bracket onto the cooler piping coming up out of where the battery used to sit, nice and study, it aint going anywhere bolted down like that.

Attachment:
IMG_4284.JPG
IMG_4284.JPG [ 441.04 KiB | Viewed 418 times ]

again this is another bracket i welded onto the intake pipe to the turbo to bolt that down too so it doesn't flop around

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Attachment:
IMG_4285.JPG
IMG_4285.JPG [ 234.65 KiB | Viewed 536 times ]

Another cold side shot, again that stock pipe will go and be replaced with s/s pipe and silicone joiners

Attachment:
IMG_4287.JPG
IMG_4287.JPG [ 365.79 KiB | Viewed 411 times ]

Turbo sits and looks nice, as you can see the water feed from up the back there and return, heat wrapped the manifold and dump too, i decided to use industrial grade silicone hose for the water feed and return because it was cheaper and has a higher temp rating than s/s braided lines it just looks crappier, but oh well...its not a show car...lol

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Just a few snaps of the outside of the car too.. ;p

Attachment:
IMG_4107.JPG
IMG_4107.JPG [ 389.61 KiB | Viewed 438 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4135.JPG
IMG_4135.JPG [ 231.36 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:06 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

you will notice a difference when you fix the cold side piping, as it is now that flex hose would be expanding like a baloon when on boost..

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
you will notice a difference when you fix the cold side piping, as it is now that flex hose would be expanding like a baloon when on boost..

thats what i thought when i seen it, if i was going to be turbo charging my car i wouldnt leave that on there at all

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

That pipe will expand a lot and will prob blow off.
I had that problem when I supercharged my el .

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

yeah u are all right, when i reved it with the hood open it expanded real bad, i should have it sorted by the weekend ill post up some pics when im done

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Any new updates man? How's the gearbox and diff holding up with the 235rwkw?

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

yeah man sorry for late reply, box is holding up fine, and diff was sweet as pie, but i upgraded it about a month ago, im pushing 10 psi with valve springs installed, bigger trans cooler, atm im pushing 244 rwkw, its pretty safe for the motor, but not the box, soon ill be upgrading that too. I had to take the snort turbo off and replace the oil seals in it, as the ones that where fitted to it originally were weak as piss cheap chinese ones and blew with in a couple weeks of driving it, oil all through the cooler and piping, what nightmare... but once they where replaced with good quality seals, i havnt had a problem yet, turbo bearing is holding up fine, theres no play in the shaft at all, apart from the oil seals its been fine. i also fixed up the cold side cooler piping, 3 inch 90 degree off the throttle body, with a 3 inch u bend, i had to modify it a bit ( cut it to length and flare the new cut edge), then a silicone joiner to a long bit of pipe to the BOV. i love the on tap power, but i hate the fact that u have to drive so cautiously to get any sort of fuel economy out of it, pretty much just dont come on boost and the fuel consumption is ok, but give it a squirt couple times a week, F**k, forget about it, lol. i ran it down the creek also, ran a 13.19 massive improvement from when it was n/a i ran a 15.2, maybe with some more boost i can leap into the 12sec bracket, but im not too worried about that right now, hows your plans going, still thinking of boosting it up?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next