OBDII Bluetooth, AU falcons and Smartphones 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: OBDII Bluetooth, AU falcons and Smartphones
Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:12 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

So, there is now Bluetooth OBDII scanners that work with smartphones and can be used for a whole heap of stuff, including dash's and what not as well as all the code reading.

I have come across very little and limited info and even conflicting info as to weather the OBDII reader can sucessuflly be used in an AU, there is plenty of info about B series onwards.

Main reason I am interested is to look at more stuff than what the dash shows.

like this

using something like this..

but there is nil support info out there for these are they are all out of either US or Asia. Has anyone tried it with an AU? or has it already been established that AU cannot support them/are not supported.

Thanks,

Dave

I have a car.

Post subject: Re: OBDII Bluetooth, AU falcons and Smartphones
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:51 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

Nobody?

Don't tell me I will have to spend a few $$ and find out for myself...

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XF Falcon Ute

New Zealand

Most OBDII Scanners - Bluetooth, iPhone, iPad etc etc only work on Generic OBD2 Protocols.
Easily put if ODB2 codes started at P1000 and finished at P9999 the Generic codes would be the ones that every manufacturer uses, Say P4000 - P6000. While my example isn't exactly correct there are Generic OBD2 codes, and Manufacture Specific OBD2 codes. And when the California State Government invented OBD2 for emission controls (and then it became a Federal law, and then basically became worldwide) the law stated that every manufacturer must use the Generic OBD2 codes.
These codes we only to do with emission's, so it's only "P" codes (Powertrain - Engine & Trans).
But manufacturers can also invent their own code (Eg. P2BAB is a Toyota/Denso specific fault code for common rail diesels). And this is where "Generic" OBD2 Scanners fall over. This gets even more complicated when it comes to Australian Specific Vehicles (Falcon). Yes from EL Series II have a OBD2 plug but, they were never intended for American markets so they don't have all the subtil programming that's required for American Markets. You still have this issue today with Trade specific Scantools that weren't intended for Australia - They just don't work on Australian cars (Holden being an exception as from VT onwards GMH always intended to export Commodore).

I cannot find any information on accessing OBD's (On Board Diagnostic's) for AU without a Scantool sorry.

Only milk & juice should come in 2Ltr's

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:56 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Can't help with AU compatibility.

But it's a VERY handy add on if you can get it working.

I use a similar setup when racing, great for reviewing performance after. GPS lap logging, OBD2 stats.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:32 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF Egas Tonner

NSW, Australia

With the AU unfortunately they are not OBD2 compliant.
You can access the data using an elm327 but to do what you want you would have to write the software yourself.

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:07 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

Thank you very much for some very comprehensive replys guys. I'll save my coin and put it towards something more useful.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:13 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford AU Falcon

WA, Australia

As I'm guessing you're really after Bluetooth connectivity and the ability to trend etc this may not be what your after, but I'll put my two penny worth in.

My understanding is that the AU doesn't use the standard ODBII line protocol, from memory CAN bus.

Instead my understanding is that it uses a different protocol, a Pulse Width Modulated (Ford refer to it as Standard Corporate Protocol-SCP)
Attachment:
J1850 Introduction-Lecture Notes slides.pdf [199.73 KiB]
Downloaded 809 times

This is further described in

Attachment:
Intel paper on J1850 implementation.pdf [87.5 KiB]
Downloaded 543 times

I'm of the belief that the standard ELM chip doesn't support it, although a later on does.
However I believe this OKI chip is the standard interface for SCP (it was a second source for the original bus driver, I think that was manufactured by Motorola.
Attachment:
OKI datasheet for Bus chip.pdf [103.62 KiB]
Downloaded 508 times

What maybe of interest though is the Autel US703 scan tool (I have one for my AU)
Attachment:

Although this doesn't provide treading etc it does display Pcodes. For instance when I switch from Petrol to Gas the ECU throws out a load of Injector circuit errors...Because the Gas system shuts them down!

I also understand, although I can't confirm that a variant of this scan tool is available to support all four versions (European, Japanese, French and US). Well that is actually a a half truth, they actually supply a CD with four versions of firmware, so when you need to diagnose an alternative vehicle, say French. you simply upload French firmware. What's a bit stupid is there isn't sufficient memory on the Scan tool to load all versions.

If you Google US703 or one of the other versions I believe there's a site in Czechoslovakia that will provide (at a small price) a download of the CD.

If you fancy a US703 I bought mine direct from China via Alibaba.

Hope this is of use!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]