Nicco's AUIII XR6 VCT 

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Nicco's AUIII XR6 VCT
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

Well, you can't tell a good story without a bit of background first; so here's the pre-story.

Most of you over the last couple of years would have seen my thread about my trusty old EF. http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/nicco-s-ef-new-direction-page-19-t68319.html I've owned the car since 2004; it's served me really well. But coming into this year, I was beginning to get pretty jaded with it.

The engine project has drawn out a bit (no ones fault; just the way the cookie crumbles), the car had developed quite a few little, niggly issues that wouldn't have been tough to fix but all cost time and money. The suspension has never felt the same since I put a full nolathane bush kit through it; it's always felt nervous and uncomfortable since then.

And the big; it looks like a f**k out piece of s**t. :lol: The paint work was completely gone.

Now obviously the paint wasn't something that snuck up on me; it's been deteriorating for 7 years of living 24/7 outdoors in North Qld. Late last year I got a quote from a panel beater I know and trust to give the whole thing a respray. Verdict was to get a decent result it would have to be bare metal; and then the price knocked me flat on my a***. I collected a bunch of rare and hard to find parts (which coincidentally will be for sale as soon as I get a thread up) in preparation for it. But I was always uncomfortable knowing how much it was going to cost to repaint it; and then it still be an EF at the end of the day.

It all came to a head when I noticed the roof lining was starting to come down. "Oh no, this is quite unpleasant," I said. Or words to that effect that start with F. It was pretty much at that point I was ready to burn it to the ground and walk away from the new engine.

Seeing as I am working with Brad (Tickford_6) on the motor; I was very much aware this was not the mature, grown up, respectful approach to the problem; so burning the car to the ground was out of the question.

Instead over a few beers with a mate we discussed what other bodies I could put the new motor into. Cobra? Take too long. GT40? Sacrilegious. XC hardtop? Too much rust. XE? Too bogan. BA? Can't step "backwards" to an older style motor. Another E-series? Don't even go there.

"Well, I could do an AU XR. I don't mind the look of the XRs."

I jumped on Carsales and found two that I liked. Both AUIII XR6 VCTs. One blueprint in colour and stock, and one tidy meteorite grey one. The blue one was in NSW. So it's a bit tough to go and see it. The grey one was in Mildura, Victoria though. And I was going to Melbourne only a couple of weeks later for the F1.

I spoke to the guy about coming up and looking at it while I was there. He was happy enough. Paul (Revcore) off this site was a huge help at this point going and having a good look at it for me in person and taking some photos of some keys points for me. It got Paul's blessing. I put a holding deposit on the car.

I popped up to Mildura over the F1 week and had a good look and a drive. I liked it. Unfortunately, that was when we were having all the bad weather up home, so I had to leave it there.

I flew back on my last break from work to pick it up.

Made it to Mildura.

Waiting...

Waiting...

What's that I hear? Sounds a bit like a falcon 6...

It is!

Here it comes...

And there it is! :D

I drove it over four days back home. Mildura to Dubbo to Brisbane to Rocky to Townsville. A solid 3000km.

I figured this would have to be about the best trial-by-fire I could ever give a new car. It decided to try and give me a scare. I've pulled into the servo and dropped the guy I bought it from back at work. I've check the fluids. Yep, all good. Check the tyres. Air hose onto the first one - yep all good. Pull it off again... and all the air starts coming out with it!! Argh! I think I actually even just politely asked it to stop leaking for me when I could get it to do anything else. :lol: Eventually I got the valve to reseat and start holding air again. I gave it another quick dash of air and left it the hell alone! :lol:

I was nervous. I'd owned the car about 6 minutes and I'd already had a problem. Good thing I transfered the RACQ over to the new car then hey? :shock:

I got on the road. I was edgy. But before long the car and I got into a good groove. Had a pink 32 Ford hotrod follow me for about 200 km before he finally tore past me and disappeared off into the horizon. Beautiful countryside down around Mildura at this time of year; I would have loved to have got some photos of it all; but I wanted to get a move on. :lol:

Made it to Dubbo by about 11.30 at night. The car got a little bit dirty...

Other than that, it was a really easy trip. No problems at all with the car. Just on the road an go every day. If this was the test; it passed with an A+. The VCT 6 goes bloody hard too; I couldn't believe how much quicker than an NA EF it feels!

I got it home, and apart from a slight altercation with a Bilby that took one of the foglights hostage; no troubles at all.

Parked on the driveway awaiting it's first clean. You can see the poor old EF relegated to across the road for the duration of ceremonies with the new car in some of the photos.

Some bugs?

Bilby holding the foglight to ransom:

And then after spending hours washing, clay barring, washing again and then waxing: In the process I managed to negotiate with the Bilby for the unharmed release of my foglight which it turns out had just flipped up into the bumper as it's mount wasn't all the tight. 8-)

I havent't managed to get a good photo of the interior yet, but it is immaculate. You'd never know it's 10 years old.

Keen eyes would have noticed a difference in the car between photo A and photo B
A: Image

B: Image

Yes, that's right; sunroof! While I was in Brisbane I got a brand new Hollandia 700 fully electric sunroof fitted by the Webasto fitter; Howard from East Coast Sunroofs. I was pretty nervous about getting a massive hole cut in the roof of my brand new car. Howard picked up on this and did his best to reassure me it would be fine. It was better than fine; it looks amazing. I would say it looks like factory; but I spose in a way it is. If you bought your new car in Brisbane and optioned a sunroof; Howard would be the guy who does it for you. I highly recommend his work. And it all only took about 6 or 7 hours from start to finish.

So that's how I've got to this point.

Plans for the future:
Roadworthy and rego in QLD
There is a tiny bit of damage on the rear bumper I want to fix up, so at the same time I'll fit this (see below) to get rid of the fibreglass front bumper before I crack it on my steep driveway or something else equally silly.
Image NOS pursuit 250 front bar.
At the same time that I found that, I also found these as NOS.
After that comes the big ones: twin turbo motor and 6 speed manual. For those of you who have missed the motor plans I'll copy the specs over from the other thread in a minute.
Then drive the bejesus out of it! 8-)

There is only one problem with molesting this car... it's really nice!! Ahh bugger it; that's never stopped me before!! :twisted:

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Post subject: Re: Nicco's AUIII XR6 VCT
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Using an AU1 motor as a base.
Spool rods
mahle pistons 20thou over with valve releifs machined locally to suit the 2 valve head
ACL race bearing 10thou under size on bigends and mains
Atomic mains girdle
Atomic main and head stud kits
Surecam custom grind cam, (Have attached the spec sheet)
The had has been hand ported by me and runs stock sized exhaust valves and over sized intake valves.
Manley custom valves
Compcams valve springs
compcams single groove locks
Atomic retainers
ACL gasket set
genuine ford AU head gasket.
Rollmaster cam gear.
Block has been decked to give 38thou piston to head clearence with the AU gasket.
Some oil system mods
Stock oil pump has been retained after a strip down and some minor mods.
Rotating assembly has been balance by JB Automotive
Used Clevite assembly lube
used loctite number 2 gasket sealer on the paper gaskets and will use 3 Bond grey sealer on sump ect.
painted the block black before fitting brass core plugs and painted the timing cover/sump in alum look paint as they didn't clean as well as i'd liked.

If you go back through the thread (go to page 19 and work you back through to here)
You'll see a bunch photos and info from along the way.
ETA is soon, ETA was originally December last year, A number of things and caused delays.
I don't think Nick hates me for taking so long, but I suspect he's called me some names a few times.

Nick- I will be picking up the springs and locks tomorrow, then I will take the head to NQ and we'll sort out the valve issue.

I don't think i've missed anything

Block bored and initial honed

Crank ground, linished and chamfered

spool rods

10mm Atomic mains girdle

Mahle pistons

Custom Surecam

THE MESS

with new seats cut, intake seats cut to suit the new 2mm oversize valves

exhaust

intake

Modified intake valve guides
Mods to the guides consists of equalizing the lengths then shortening by 2mm, the protruding end was then tapered

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:31 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

nice nice nice nice..... i like

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Tough looking AU! Love everything about it, can't wait to see what happens with the motor :mrgreen:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

looks awesome mate

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

Definitely gets the vote for the best au I've seen. Can't wait to see more progress.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I have a plan for your bonnet that won't cost you a cent.
Talk about it tomorrow.

Oh and you're an @#$% scoring those Wheels. They seriously the best looking wheels ford ever came up with.
So what are you doing with the current wheels?

Seems I should be looking at a respray of my AU and jamming on some nice wheels and VCT motor and an upgrade to injected LPG.

Then the old AU motor into my EA.

Oh how it never ends.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the nice comments guys; I'm pretty stoked with it.

Got the Azzurro's on last night. They look at little bit odd at first glance; but then just start getting better and better the longer you leave them on there. I like!

*Sorry about the average photos; it was actually starting to get really dark when I took them*

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks man.

Going to leave it debadged and with the little lip spoiler; I really like the look of the back end as it is.

I'm a big fan of the bumper that's on it now as well; but I'm iffy about the fibreglass thing...

BTW everyone: EF gear for sale thread is now up:
http://www.fordmods.com/post1333923.html#1333923

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

Very very very nice.
I prefer the Azzurro's over the Argents as well.
Very cool.

But there's something about the lip spolier that bugs me... Im not sure what.

Good luck with the build, Nicco.

Blue blooded.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

As soon as I saw the pics with the new wheels on I thought, WORTH EVERY CENT.

Now hang on to the old wheels, I'm looking at upgrading to either a BF or FG.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

love the look of this au, although i would have kept the old wheels looked nicer in my oppion

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:50 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

no way... imo the azzuros are the best tickford/ factory optioned wheel ever produced..

p.s nicco.. absolutely love the au mate, au3 xr6 is one of the best sohc falcons made...

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: fairmont

NSW, Australia

Seriously the best AU ive ever seen. Hotness

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

uniacidz wrote:
add to the thread.
Whats happening with it Nicco? been a bit quiet. Its not dead is it?

Nicks gone on a little over seas trip.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next