Fordmods Logo

What to do for more power 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: What to do for more power
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:36 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

One of my toys is an 88 Mazda 323 4WD turbo, that's much the same as the TX3 4WD turbo 1.6 of the same year :)

Does anyone know what can be done to these cars (motor and drive train) to get more power with added reliability.

The design weeknesses i am aware of are in the area of crank, gearbox and brakes.

Cheers.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

probably a better question for the mazda familia forums

Banned

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Yeah same as any turbo set up, get better air flow, bigger pipes, better smoother turns, better intake and better exhaust, then wind up the turbo, get a larger on, get larger injectors the list goes on, same principles apply to just about any engine, moving air is paramount.

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Start off with a good tune, then put on a 3 inch mandrell bent exhuast, then front mount intercooler. Its should be fine with a few extra psi too.
Its the same old story for any turbo car... the final result is dependant on your wallet

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:10 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the comments, guess i should have highlighted the words with added reliability.

I know that many people have installed large exhausts, intercoolers and other mods only to blow apart their gearbox (hard to find s/h) or drop the end of the crank (ruining the head) :(

I have heard 140 kw is reasonably easy to achieve with the B6T. I have also heard that the standard gearbox can be modified to gain much improved reliability and strength. I want my drive train to be bullet proof not blow apart at the first clutch dump on full noise :)

So the real question is: does anyone know how to or have experiance with achieve(ing) higher output than the standard 100kw and at the same time improve on drive line reliability and strength on these mazda/ford buz boxes ?

Cheers.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Check out fordlaser.com heaps of these turbo 323 and laser buggers on there! Good place to find out about them. There's also a really good website about them some were. My mates had one, so i remember him showing me all this.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ah ok, you want more than 100kw@ the flywheel... all the above mods will easilly give you over 100kw, thats like the basics of modding any stock OLD turbo car.
Do you really wnat to rebuild the g'box, diff, ect to handle more power? Putting all that money into a better car would be a more sensible thing to do... but if your nuts about old 323's get a 4wd version... the fwd are a poor handling car at best

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

ItchiOne wrote:
Thanks for the comments, guess i should have highlighted the words with added reliability.

I know that many people have installed large exhausts, intercoolers and other mods only to blow apart their gearbox (hard to find s/h) or drop the end of the crank (ruining the head) :(

I have heard 140 kw is reasonably easy to achieve with the B6T. I have also heard that the standard gearbox can be modified to gain much improved reliability and strength. I want my drive train to be bullet proof not blow apart at the first clutch dump on full noise :)

So the real question is: does anyone know how to or have experiance with achieve(ing) higher output than the standard 100kw and at the same time improve on drive line reliability and strength on these mazda/ford buz boxes ?

Cheers.

it doesn't matter what you do the gear box it will still be the weakest part of your car. and any amount of extra power will break it. It not worth trying to make it stronger when it's still going to break and waste all the cash you just spent on gear box rebuilds..

to make it more fun to drive get an good exhaust intercooler aftermarket ECU and a good tune.. enjoy it untill you get sick of it and sell so you can get some thing stronger

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:55 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks for all the info guys.

The web site fordlaser.com had particularly useful posts discussing gearbox problems.

Had the car for too long to get rid of it now so i will keep it garaged, i know it's complete history :)

Soon i will start looking at costs to get the car back to new condition with some improved and reliable oomph.

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]