Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: ef xr6 not firing after alternator failure
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

hi, my mates xr6 decided to die on him today while driving to work. i found the fault to be the alternator failing due to a power steering leak and battery was obviously drained flat. i tried to jump start it (20 minutes with the leads connected) just to get it home to work on however the car still would not fire. cranks fine just no spark, like smartlock was on. would running the battery dead cause the bcm to reset itself and not recognise the key? or is there another underlying problem?

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Post subject: Re: ef xr6 not firing after alternator failure
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

ranga83 wrote:
hi, my mates xr6 decided to die on him today while driving to work. i found the fault to be the alternator failing due to a power steering leak and battery was obviously drained flat. i tried to jump start it (20 minutes with the leads connected) just to get it home to work on however the car still would not fire. cranks fine just no spark, like smartlock was on. would running the battery dead cause the bcm to reset itself and not recognise the key? or is there another underlying problem?

full battery may get it home,stuffed alternator and battery-no,flat battery and good alternator-yes.you need above 12v to run

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok thanks, we ended up pushing it into his work car park so its safe for tonight, he is getting a new battery for it tomorrow, and ill get my spare alternator from home and fit that. i thought having my car charging his battery for 20 minutes would at least have enough to fire, but obviously not. so was just checking to see if i had to be looking elsewhere for a problem.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

ranga83 wrote:
ok thanks, we ended up pushing it into his work car park so its safe for tonight, he is getting a new battery for it tomorrow, and ill get my spare alternator from home and fit that. i thought having my car charging his battery for 20 minutes would at least have enough to fire, but obviously not. so was just checking to see if i had to be looking elsewhere for a problem.

could have pulled the battery and recharged it over nite.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

we did, but after we got it out i noticed the sides were bulged so i suggested to get a new one.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok, so alternator and battery didnt fix it. still wont start but i can't hear the fuel pump at all so will be checking the relay and pump tomorrow in the light

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]