Fordmods Logo

BA intake and Nissan patrol Mixer into EL. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: BA intake and Nissan patrol Mixer into EL.
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi all,

Wanted to garner some feedback. I have a bpos gas carby now and will be getting another because I don't think they flow well enough for a 4lt engine. (the examples are for a 2.5 litre.)

In the meantime, I picked up a BA intake pipe and a complete LPG GAS setup for a 4.2 Litre Nissan Patrol.

The mixer has a bigger centre whole than the EL one.. about half a centermetre better from the look of it and with considerable force it fit into the end of the BA intake.

I've jury rigged it onto a spare EL intake manifold and wanted to see if anyone can see any potential issues with the arrangement.
(the bpos gas carby is visable in the video too.)

Can you guys see any problems with this approach? I plan to sleeve some tube into the other side of the mixer and clamp that to the rubber flexipipe to the airbox.

would appreciate any thoughts.
(this will go on the wifes EF once I get my LPG gas carbies sorted.)

opps.. doesn't look like embeeding is working.... here is the link. http://youtu.be/n_JacHyqRJY?hd=1
Never mind, got the embedding working.... the reason it looks wobbly is that I used the youtube image stabilization to smooth it out as I was wobbling like an old drunk, the distortion is a side effect I'd guess.

cheers

Frank

Post subject: Re: BA intake and Nissan patrol Mixer into EL.
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

By the looks of it you have the mixer in backwards.
It is also a very poor design being an orifice rather then a venturi.
The petrol engine makes less power and has a 4200rpm redline.

There are far better venturi mixers available.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Hello..

It does have a small taper, but certainly not a venturi.

My main thought at the time was that it would flow much better than the existing one which is much the same design only smaller with a smaller hole.

Do you have a photo of a good venturi mixer of a type suitable for an E series I could have a look at?

cheers

Frank

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

supercharger?

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yes.. if you look at the video, there is an LPG carby in the bottom corner.. apparently they are very good and I bought it with the idea that it would be perfect in front of the supercharger..

Turns out I will need two to get enough flow and apparently two is perfectly acceptable according to the company I got it off.. so two it shall be.. and then one of my final obstacle to charging is gone. (yay)

The mixer I'm looking at here was really for the wifes car.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Here is a closeup of this mixer.. sounds dumb but I'm not entirely sure which way this goes around..

The big side is nearly 8cm.. the small side is 6.. I'd have thought that the big side goes towards the intake so you get a pressure drop to suck in gas.. but the lip is tapered and that taper doesn't really make sense unless it goes around the other way.. so I am inclined to think that the open 8cm end probably faces the airbox and the 6cm ring goes facing the TB.... am I right?

I know this is not the optimal mixer.. but my old mixer is probably 4.5cm across at it's smallest and that one is still bigger than the one in my wifes EF.

Photos.
Closeup showing taper on the lip.

The big side.

The small side:

There is a huge difference in flow between 4.5cm and nearly 6cm.. so as long as it does the job of correctly mixing the air/gas it almost has to be better than the crap ones we have now right?

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

That mixer is big because it's a s**t design, Big does not mean flow, It's big because with such a s**t design it has to be big to flow the air.

The Discharge tube goes on the engine side. Which brings up the other bad part about it,
The tube is squished flat cutting the flow area down. The common problem is you just can't flow enough gas through the discharge tube.

That Mixer belongs in landfill.

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Hmm maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the wife a gas carby too.

Ironically that mixer is almost identical to the one that came with my EL LPG setup. Only bigger. I got this one cos it was free and was bigger than mine. Figured at least it would have to be better than my old one.

My wife's EF has an even smaller one, but a different design.. its hollow and has holes all around the inside ring to distribute the gas. She did get a bit of a power boost when I put my old ring in her car and I attributed that to more air...

I've got a daily search on for gas carbys so hopefully that will find something for her to use.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]