Fordmods Logo

does a car on LPG & Petrol impact on extractors? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

LPG Exhausts also run at higher temperatures..... Thats more likely where the warranty is changed.

Good for down line the exhaust - more heat = less moisture.

Bad for immediately away from the head (More heat = more stress)

Nigel

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

from wikipedia...

Hydrogen sulfide is corrosive and renders some steels brittle, leading to sulfide stress cracking — a concern especially for handling "sour gas" and sour crude oil in the oil industry. Hydrogen sulfide burns to give the gas sulfur dioxide, which is more familiar as the odor of a burnt match

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_sulphide

LPG information

There are two downsides. Firstly it has a lower energy density than either petrol or diesel, so the equivalent fuel consumption is higher, but since many governments impose less tax, it is still usually more cost effective. Secondly, some designs of internal combustion engine require the lubrication of petrol or diesel with lead or lead substitute, and LPG's lack thereof can damage valves or shorten their life. Engines designed for unleaded fuel, equipped with hardened valve seats, are suitable for use with LPG without added upper cylinder lubrication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquefied_petroleum_gas

From what I gather, due to the "dry" burning of the LPG within the engine (runs hotter) engine life doesn't last as long. I would guess the exhaust gases would therefor also be hotter and wear the exhaust system out more.

I guess higher temperatures could also cause a lot of stress links in the extractor piping.

I think there is also more water vapour because of the reaction of the LPG (which contains propane and butane). Since more propane/butane needs to be reacted for the same amount of energy production compared to unleaded, you will produce more water molecules purely by numbers.

That's all i can muster together while I'm in a hurry.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:

That's all i can muster together while I'm in a hurry.

lol, thanx man.
I think this thread has now reached its conclusion, thx evry1

1997 EL Fairmont [EHELL] Mods: 2.5" straight through Redback Mandrel Bent Exhaust from cat back, BA XR8 18" Replica's, LPG conversion, Kingspring Superlows - front and rear, Monroe GT lowered shocks all round, Clear side repetors, FPV front floor mats..

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
From what I gather, due to the "dry" burning of the LPG within the engine (runs hotter) engine life doesn't last as long.

Quite the opposite actually. LPG doesnt wash the lubricating oil off the cylinder walls, giving better ring and bore condition than an engine runnig on petrol. When you compare the engine oil in a car running on Petrol vs LPG, you could almost confuse the oil coming out of the LPG car for new oil. It's in MUCH better condition than an engine runnning on petrol and therefore would be keeping the rest of the internals in a better state.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Waggin wrote:
phongus wrote:
From what I gather, due to the "dry" burning of the LPG within the engine (runs hotter) engine life doesn't last as long.

Quite the opposite actually. LPG doesnt wash the lubricating oil off the cylinder walls, giving better ring and bore condition than an engine runnig on petrol. When you compare the engine oil in a car running on Petrol vs LPG, you could almost confuse the oil coming out of the LPG car for new oil. It's in MUCH better condition than an engine runnning on petrol and therefore would be keeping the rest of the internals in a better state.

Thanks Waggin for correcting me :D. Something new to learn every day.

phong =P~

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Waggin wrote:
phongus wrote:

Thanks Waggin for correcting me :D. Something new to learn every day.

phong =P~

Post subject: Re: does a car on LPG & Petrol impact on extractors?
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

So as we are on the topic

Oxgyen sensors in duel fuel BA and AU's are they in open loop mode or do they actually get used ?

and also the dedicated AUs come with a 02 sensor in so it gets you thinking there are lots of people who argue that the 02 sensor does not get used and others say it does

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:39 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

f**k Me, the year is not even 1 hour old and we have our first deep core thread mine.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:06 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

Good thread and some info for me to take away and check.

One thing to clarify, the H2S(hydrogen sulphide) is not a by-product of the LPG burning, but a direct product of water sitting in situ gathering impurities(organic) from its surroundings(soot, combustion gases etc). Rotten egg gas is heavier than air so will pool in low areas and "cascade" as it fills up the space(ie a muffler is a classic h2s collection point). This is why you smell it only on initial start and only for a short time after start.

I plead with you to be careful regarding this gas as I lost seven mates to h2s asphyxiation due to stupidity. If you are a mechanic with a pit or have a garage with one, make sure you have no water sitting in it as it takes less than 24 hrs for the h2s to develop. Over a week-end it can be enough to almost half fill a standard pit.

Hooroo

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2