Fordmods Logo

xf v8 conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: xf v8 conversion
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: telstar tx5

WA, Australia

hey all i am currently building an xf sedan burnout car and have a couple of questions that someone here might be able to answer, the motor is going to be an ex-injected 302 from an ed xr8. Is it possable to delete the a/c compressor and still use a serpintine belt or do i need to change to the early style individual belts? will a c4 auto fit without much hassle? will the stock diff with a spool be strong enough or will it go bang straight away?

Post subject: Re: xf v8 conversion
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: NF with all the fruit

SA, Australia

With regard to the belt, you can get shorter/longer etc, depends if it fouls on anything else. Try running a piece of wire or string around the pulleys, without including the A/C.

A drive belt for example. 5PK2390. has 5 ribs, and if you cut it and lay it out flat, will be 2390mm long. 3PK890 has 3 ribs/890mm long etc.

Older drive belts work the same. 11A1385, is 11mm wide/1385mm long.

If it was me, I'd source a 9". Easier to change centres/ratios, and it came out of a truck ! :shock:

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:30 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: telstar tx5

WA, Australia

Cheers for the info on the belt, i am planning a 9 inch but for now i was gonna use the stock diff with a bogan locker. The gearbox, fuel system and cooling system will be costly enough as it is as i plan on building a stroked and blown windor in the future so i will build the rest to be able to handle it but the motor for now will be a 302 with a cam, valve springs edlerbrock manifold and holley. i will be using a 10 gallon fuel cell and the trans will be built to handle 800+ hp just want to practice with a cheap motor for now and if the diff will last say 10 burnouts then i would put a locked 9 inch when it goes but if its not even gonna last 3 minutes then i might as well do it now. Hopefully it will be running for when the season opens up after the winter break.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

When I picked up my EF XR8 it had an alternate belt on it. Ran slightly differently but went past all of the pulleys and bypassed the A/C. So yes, it can be done. I still ahve that belt sitting in my shed.

I *also* have a US Mustang A/C Delete pulley and bracket sitting at home ;). This was for my XF V8 - if I decide I dont want the A/C. I have the compressor in there at the moment...

have a look at this URL - there is a post about half way down showing the engine with A/C delete, and the post also includes the correct belt length for the US Mustang with Smog pump (we have an idler there instead)

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/ ... cs.816675/
"it measures 102.5 inches long,6 Ribs". This fits without the A/C delete pulley - so niiiice

Should be almost the right length for the V8

Nigel

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 03 BA GT XW GT Replica

TAS, Australia

Hey mate the diff should do you till you can fit 9 inch. Just last weekend I had my XF in the burnout comp at power cruise down here in Tassie. I have a 351 windsor in it which on the day we put on dyno and it put out 321 HP at rear wheels. The car only had stock borgwarner LSD with a single rail and did burnouts 1st 2nd and 3rd gear and the diff loved it. Only problem we had was eventualy it through all the belts off and got hot.

Regards Darryl..

LOVE THE BLUE OVAL

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]