Fordmods Logo

What wood and materials needed for boot install?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: What wood and materials needed for boot install??
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:55 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: 1994 ford fairmont ED

WA, Australia

Hey guys im in the planning stages of my boot install for the Ed Ghia, I would like to know what wood do you guys use and other materials?

Im thinking 2 12" subs next to each other basically the same setup most guys do in their eseries with flat floors so the concept of a boot is still there.

Any hints and tips you have would help as well.

Thankyou guys
Brett

Post subject: Re: What wood and materials needed for boot install??
Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:56 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

The general consensus is to use MDF. Relatively easy to work with and gives good results. 25mm or a little more is usually the best mid point between rigidity and overkill.

Good thing about MDF is because of the sizes that you can get it in, it's easy to do a flat floor with it as well, and it's strength is great for that.

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:14 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

As steedy said, MDF is the way to go. Can't remember what I used for my baffle board (board to separate boot from cabin...using free air subs)...something along the lines of 20-25mm. I suggest at least 25mm for 2 x 12" with good power.

You can use chip board stuff as well, but MDF is cheaper, although if MDF gets wet, it does stuff up rather quickly. Also get yourself silicon or wood glue and put that between joints and use screws to hold it together. The glue will help seal the box more completely...if you want you can also run silicon along the inside corners before you put the final face of the enclosure on.

When cutting the sub hole...measure twice cut once! Don't cut the whole too big like my friend did, who then had to cut another piece of MDF ring to fit inside the box so that he could screw the sub down to. This actually worked in his favour, the sub surroung sat flat to the surface, rather than sticking out.

Final note: MDF is bad for you so they say. All the chemicals that are used to make MDF have some form of bad effect on your lungs so wear a face mask if you are worried. Places such as Bunnings don't allow staff to cut MDF for customers anymore, if it doesn't fit in the car, you have to cut it yourself. Some building material scrap yard places sell new MDF/Timber/renovation stuffs who still cut MDF for you...mainly because they are not large corporations with possible lung cancer law suits (family run businesses).

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:07 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Thanks heaps guys.

Also when joining 2 bits together using screws could I also use L shaped brackets for extra support?

What kind of carpeting do you use?

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: "08 XR6T Ute

QLD, Australia

You can use brackets, but if it's designed right you shouldn't need them. You'll find that the boxes are actually pretty rigid. Also, depending on budget and preference (although debated that's it's actually need) make the front face double thick to help keep subs stable and reduce fatigue on the front piece.
Umm and if you can get your hands on something to do so, stuff the boxes (ie- stuffed toy stuffing, carpet underlay on inside of box, etc). This helps to give the box a 'greater' volume them it actually has. I'm finding that the design I have drawn up for my fg is severely undersized for my subs, you will most likely have the same issue.

As far as carpet goes, marine carpets are durable and easy to wash, but can be a bit rough to feel. Just head down to a car interior place, or bcf (or similar) and have a look about to something that suits your preferences and budget. Softer more appealing or harder more durable, colours, price, etc... just depends what your chasing really.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:51 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Final note: MDF is bad for you so they say. All the chemicals that are used to make MDF have some form of bad effect on your lungs so wear a face mask if you are worried. Places such as Bunnings don't allow staff to cut MDF for customers anymore, if it doesn't fit in the car, you have to cut it yourself. Some building material scrap yard places sell new MDF/Timber/renovation stuffs who still cut MDF for you...mainly because they are not large corporations with possible lung cancer law suits (family run businesses).

Forgot to mention this. It is to do with the resin that is used to glue the fibres (MDF - medium density fibreboard) together. Definitely use some form of face mask when cutting it.

I made my sub box double thickness (glued two sheets of 18mm together), mainly because i was using my schools stuff so didn't mind how much i used :D what i ended up with is a bloody heavy box but it is as rigid as anything, which I believe is better for bass response. Flex is bad!

As well as carpet, I use Bunnings stuff. You can get it in 1m and 2m widths, cant remember what the exact name is but ask them for auto or marine carpet and they'll help you out. I think the two are slightly different in price though.

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:32 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I bought carpet from the market. $5 a meter or something which is much cheaper than buying from the store. So if you have a Sunday market nearby, have a squizz and see what you can score as a bargain. To glue the carpet down onto MDF, I have always used standard silicon, put some on the box and smear it out evenly across the whole surface. Good thing about this is that it makes it some what water proof by sealing the surface while at the same time holding the carpet in place. When it sticks, it sticks...pain in the a*** to remove, so make sure you do it right the first time.

FordAUte mentioned double thickness front face...you can do that but not necessary if you are using 25mm + IMO, in saying that, the thicker the better. If you do end up doing a double layer, it is good to cut the outside layer hole as big as the sub and the inner layer as big as the sub basket, that way the speaker sits flush with the box rather than stick out...this obviously depends if you like that look or not.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:51 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

phongus the last bit is what im thinking of, something I would like to do is between the subs put in some Plexi-Glass so you can see in the box with a or some neons inside as well, So the double layer would be good here as well so there are no screws seen on the outside

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]