Fordmods Logo

XR6T engine into a XB Falcon Coupe, Advice? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: XR6T engine into a XB Falcon Coupe, Advice?
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:19 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I'm wanting to drop an XR6 Turbo engine into a XB coupe, any advice or information any one has would be great. Im thinking about putting RRS kit through my coupe as well, like suspension, brakes, Rack and Pinion etc.. although that will lower the value. This may turn out to be my daily driver. I have a VE omega, but selling it to pay for the parts etc.
Not sure whether or not Im going to stick with the xb dash or use something else.

Post subject: Re: XR6T engine into a XB Falcon Coupe, Advice?
Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

repost aye

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:23 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

ando290 wrote:
I'm wanting to drop an XR6 Turbo engine into a XB coupe, any advice or information any one has would be great. Im thinking about putting RRS kit through my coupe as well, like suspension, brakes, Rack and Pinion etc.. although that will lower the value. This may turn out to be my daily driver. I have a VE omega, but selling it to pay for the parts etc.
Not sure whether or not Im going to stick with the xb dash or use something else.

Why not go a BOSS 290 or BOSS 302? An XR6T engine really would ruin it in my opinion. As for difficulty, dont know, reckon the electronics and wiring would be the hardest part

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:42 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I like the XR6T because its a good 6 cylinder engine, I dont really want a V8 as a daily driver, but I know what you mean by ruining it. I feel the same way to a degree. I want to keep a fair chuck of it original. But if I did get a V8 i would probs use this one http://www.dougherbert.com/408fordraceengine-p-26165.html?cPath=614_615_750 its the same size as a 351 but lighter and more powerful.

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

http://forum.streetfords.com.au/showthread.php?t=2608

Dont need to register, simillar to what you want but its a xf

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Black EB 5 Speed EL Front End

QLD, Australia

if you do think about going a V8 go either a Boss or http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-460-BIG-BLO ... 3cae929818. 460 will have a heap of grunt and no need to worry about ecu's

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

hmmm, I sorta thought this way a bit b4 going lpg 351 and 4 speed. A turbo 6 would be interesting, but it was the wiring etc complexity that scared me off - I agree that u might want t o consider whether you are hurting the value with the rrs stuff (plus it isn't cheap) - maybe look at reconding your original front but upgrade brakes, shocks, sway bars , springs etc - they can handle quite nicely if all this stuff is fresh...if originality is a concern you could always build up a turbo'd pre xflow 6 (or even x flow) -maybe not as powerful but much cheaper and simpler to do...
I ended up going 351 cos it was simple as...did it all myself, no wiring hassles , cheap to run on lpg, and I love the sound of it! Thats one aspect you won't get on a turbo 6, they still sound like a 6...
end of the day, build what you want, don't build it purely cos of how much you might be able to sell it for...if that is the main focus may as well just restore it to factory original and be done with it...
all the best!

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1977 XC 351 GS-Rally pack

NT, Australia

I've just picked up a 2007 BF XR6T it's a nice car but about to go into my XC.
I've been looking at it for some time now and I'd like to take the motor, 6speed auto, ICC, dash and seats etc.
I love my old girl and don't want to mod the body but I want her to have everything I can make fit.
2007 BF XR6T in a 1977 XC body.
What do you think?
Can it be done?
Will she ever be legal?

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

GS-Rally wrote:
I've been looking at it for some time now and I'd like to take the motor, 6speed auto, ICC, dash and seats etc.
I love my old girl and don't want to mod the body but I want her to have everything I can make fit.
What do you think?
Can it be done?
Will she ever be legal?

why not? It'd end up being a nice car to drive! I reckon if done carefully you should be able to not cut up the body at all (or not much at least) i.e. if you wanted to go back to stock later shouldn't be too much drama. Legality? Why not? Do it properly, get an engineers opinion at least, but I even wonder if you'd need inspection. The engine going in is around 4 litres, stock they had up to 5.8....depends too on what state you register it in...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
GS-Rally wrote:
What do you think?
Can it be done?
Will she ever be legal?

why not? It'd end up being a nice car to drive! I reckon if done carefully you should be able to not cut up the body at all (or not much at least) i.e. if you wanted to go back to stock later shouldn't be too much drama. Legality? Why not? Do it properly, get an engineers opinion at least, but I even wonder if you'd need inspection. The engine going in is around 4 litres, stock they had up to 5.8....depends too on what state you register it in...

Correct me if I am wrong but I am sure it has to pass EPA regulations and have all epa equipment installed to comply. Xc's had f**k all epa gear while the Bf is full of it. I think that needs an inspection. May be wrong.
To the OP, full respect to you. I understand you want to keep the Xc as stock as possible while adding the new age creature comforts and technology and why not. Id stick with the xr6t and not go the 8, from memory the xr6t is still the better performer out of the 2 anyway. Sounds like it would be one mean streeter, a real head turner and would pop a few eyes on the strip.
Its been some years since I have mucked around this deep with car's, but it use to be Castle auto electrics that made mock wire units for the ecotec's to go into early Holdens, thats 10 years or so ago though. Wire wise, I cant see it being any more difficult than doing the swap into a Cortina or Xd/Xe and I am sure its been done in those before.
All I could say is call around and hopefully someone on here can steer you to a few numbers. Dont lose faith mate, its an awesome plan that makes my petrol head boner stand up to attention. Dont forget to do a build thread, Ill be keeping an eye out.

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1977 XC 351 GS-Rally pack

NT, Australia

As far as rego go's I don't think it's a problem.
In the NT anyway. As long as the motor is of the same size or smaller.
The pollution stuff is an upgrade so that's fine.
It's the body mods I'd need certs for.
Dose anyone know of the ZF box will slot in without any mods?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]