Fordmods Logo

speaker/amp/sub combo. XH XR6 Ute 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: speaker/amp/sub combo. XH XR6 Ute
Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Hey guys,

I got a XH XR6 ute and I wanna get some audio work done to it. it currently has sony xplod 6.5" speakers in the doors and a pioneer head unit! It has amp wiring there ready for an amp but I want to run my 6.5 inch speakers as well as additional 6X9" speakers off an amp but I don't know what wattage amp to get?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers Jesse.!

Post subject: Re: speaker/amp/sub combo. XH XR6 Ute
Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:13 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon Xr6 BA

NSW, Australia

Hey so the amp that your going to get will depend on what speakers you have ! the power of them (RMS) rms is basically constant power (watts) the speaker can handle and all times ! ..

if your going to have 4 speakers and a sub you might want to look at a 5 channel amp ! saves room and is really handy as everything goes to one place !

my system has jl audio in the front and kenwoods in the back and a jl sub so i got a kicker 5 chennel amp for $300 from jb hi fi (who are having a 30% off car sales till this sunday)

you may want to look into that ! its about 85 rms per channel and 300 rms for the sub !

from what i know thats MORE then enough for your sony explodes and should be perfect for your 6x9s

if you only want 4 speakers running you should look into just a 4 channel amp thats closest to the rms of the speakers. (if its a little under or over its fine. thats fixed when its being tuned :) )

ok let me know how you go and if i lost you anywhere let me know and ill be more than happy to clear things up for you as best i can :)

good luck :)

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:50 am 
Parts Gopher

Yeah thanks heaps !!

The 6inch speakers are 260w peak power and the 6X9inch speakers are 420w peak power !!

The amp I'm looking at getting is 4 channel and is 600 w peak output !!!!

Will this be ok ?

PS: I have decided to run the 6inch speakers in my door off my head unit and run the 6X9s off my amp and add a sub later on

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Jess.Penny.AU wrote:
Yeah thanks heaps !!

The 6inch speakers are 260w peak power and the 6X9inch speakers are 420w peak power !!

The amp I'm looking at getting is 4 channel and is 600 w peak output !!!!

Will this be ok ?

PS: I have decided to run the 6inch speakers in my door off my head unit and run the 6X9s off my amp and add a sub later on

Do not look at peak power, look at RMS (could also be labelled as NOMINAL) wattage.
Quick google shows Xplode 6.5" 260W peak powered speakers are around 55-60W RMS, while 6x9 Xplodes at 420W peak is about 210W RMS. If the 6x9s are indeed Sony Xplodes and are 3 way, then there is 3 Ohm resistance.

If you plan on getting a 4 channel amp, make sure it is capable of handling 2-4 Ohm output.

Can you give us speaker brand, model if possible and the amp brand/model you are looking at. From there it is easier to work out.

Phillip KG wrote:
my system has jl audio in the front and kenwoods in the back and a jl sub so i got a kicker 5 chennel amp for $300 from jb hi fi (who are having a 30% off car sales till this sunday)

you may want to look into that ! its about 85 rms per channel and 300 rms for the sub !

Which Kenwood amp is that? 85W RMS per channel and 300W RMS for solo is rather damn good. Although what ohms is that value at?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon Xr6 BA

NSW, Australia

Yeah id expect the xplodes 6.5 inches to be from about 40-60 rms..
as for the 6X9 i think they will be around 120-250ish rms if its at 420 peak power

as phong stated you need to look at RMS aka continuous power aka nominal power. this will better tell us what you need :)

umm if your going to run the 2 front speakers off a head unit and only want to amp the sub and 6x9s than you wouldnt be looking for a 4 channel unless you want to bridge the sub port. (basically means turn 2 channels from the amp into one bigger channel).

i personally think your better off amping all the speakers while your at it ! you will get much better sound and the sub wont over power your speakers that way :).

phongus wrote:

Phillip KG wrote:

Which Kenwood amp is that? 85W RMS per channel and 300W RMS for solo is rather damn good. Although what ohms is that value at?

Hey sorry i may have confused you . i have a 5 Channel Kicker amp , and 5 way kenwood 7X10 speakers in the back.

the kicker amp is rated at 85 rms per channel and 300 at the inbuilt mono but the certificate it comes with rates it as a total of 900 rms (which ends up 150 rms at each channel and 300 at the sub I THINK).... its also 2-4 ohms capable i believe.

the same kind of out put is also available from jl amps and alpine amps (although id stay clear from alpine 5 channels , didnt work for me ).

if your interested look at the jb hi fi website and make your way to amps they have a few good 5 channel amps on there :)

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

I swear I seen this asked on Facebook yesterday and the OP deleted the thread

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]