Fordmods Logo

Gas tuning prices. My god!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Gas tuning prices. My god!!
Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hi guys, I put a new converter in my EB and it needs a tune and I was calling a few places for a dyno and got similar quotes all around $240-$250 mark :shock: (I was quoted $80 4yrs ago). There could also be additional costs if the plugs,leads, dizzy cap etc are stuffed. I've replaced everything so I'm hoping that won't be an issue.

I called swift automotive in dandenong and they can do it for $160 (and same story if it needs parts)I was wondering if this is would be the go or if there's still some cheaper tuners around.. I feel the job should be worth around $80 but I don't know (I know to tune my system and unless it's drastically more time consuming/costly for them on the dyno then even $80 is easy money for the job and I can't comprehend what justifies any higher price?) and it's a new converter too which means I need to get it retuned in 1000km's anyway and I'm not paying near $500 for two tunes with 1000k's!! May as well leave it on petrol!
I was hoping if there were any dyno tuners out there who will still do this for around the $80? I assume those prices are a thing of the past.

It's an OMVL R90e, and although I didn't want to with the new converter I'm now considering tuning it myself as I did with the old one, all I adjust is the 2 idle screws on the converter and away I go, but I'm pretty sure there are other adjustments on the system that affect mixtures also (such as that adjustment wheel on the stepper motor looking thing) and I don't want to damage anything with a dodgy tune, I don't care if the tune is crude if you get me however it just can't be backfiring and damaging things, the car is my daily. Given the unexpected tuning costs I'm really not sure what course of action to take.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers

Post subject: Re: Gas tuning prices. My god!!
Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I just asked marco at a1 gas in hallam and he said $220 and it only needs a check in 1000ks not another tune. Thats dyno tuned

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I just talked to someone and he quoted me $75 for a tune (not on the dyno) and $80 on the dyno +labour works out MUCH cheaper (I told him about the other quotes I received) but he told me that my system (omvl r90e) didn't require the dyno as the oxy sensor is in the loop and dyno's are more for systems without an oxy. He went on to say I will get no real benefit on the dyno with my particular system (besides identifying stuffed sensors and whatnot).

He sounds pretty good (has been in the business for over 20yrs) and I'm booking it in with him next week. I was just wondering if anyone had different opinions regarding the dyno? I've always been under the impression dyno tuning is the only real way to tune lpg and anything less is a compromise?

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ranga83 wrote:
I just asked marco at a1 gas in hallam and he said $220 and it only needs a check in 1000ks not another tune. Thats dyno tuned

Cheers man! I'll give them a call I spoke to Ag Auto Gas Conversions in Lilydale before who quoted me $75 for the non dyno, now it's a simple matter of deciding whether to dyno or save some cash :lol: but I think I'm leaning towards the dyno and especially if it's not $500!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]