Fordmods Logo

has this been done before ????.... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: has this been done before ????....
Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: te cortina

QLD, Australia

i got this manifold to suit iron head 6 cylinder , xd falcon or te cortina. it originally had chrysler sigma carbies on it . after some machining its ready to have its linkages done and rebuild the carbies, which are off a 2 litre 4 cyl cortina . OK im no photographer. the linkages may need to be modified,im sure i'll need an electric fuel pump .i was hoping for some advice on setup and tuning, i'd rather not have to trailer the car to the mechanics . im not about to dragrace or do burnouts , i just want to see how well i can get it working.. fuel/air ratios and vacuum readings baffle me ,however i like a cool note out the exhaust.... please advise me wot ya think?? cheers

Attachments:
PICT1183.JPG
PICT1183.JPG [ 307.75 KiB | Viewed 329 times ]
PICT1184.JPG
PICT1184.JPG [ 309.15 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]
PICT1182.JPG
PICT1182.JPG [ 310.88 KiB | Viewed 355 times ]

Post subject: Re: has this been done before ????....
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

It should work well, and the Carbs will be close to being right. Despite the equalizer section, you are in effect running a 3cylinder 2 liter off a Carb set up for a 4 cyl 2 liter. I would run it and then check the plugs, it may even be right to go. Things I would check, make sure the Carbs sit well and seal, make sure the throttle opens fully and that there is no excessive tension on the cable at full throttle. Fit an extra return spring and also make the cable run smoothly. The Japs run a cable around a " curve " so that it runs in the outer cable smoothly. If you dont get this right it will wear, fray and stick.

The Carbs you have are good, you may need a pressure regulator, and make sure they open exactly the same. It will idle like a dog if you dont. Last, check the sealing around the air filter as many aftermarket ones leave a bit to be desired.

It is many years since I was changing Carbs, but there are not too many traps if you do your homework.

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: te cortina

QLD, Australia

hi, thanks for your advice ,much food for thought.. I really thought a few people would have used the twin weber setup on a six cyl.Why didnt ford do it, they work so well on the 4 cyl. my 4cyl had a 2.92:1 diff ,100 kmh was just below 3000,more importantly just before the secondaries opened, so it was possible to cruise with good fuel economy. Open up the secondaries for passing was good too. so the aim with my twin weber setup is to sit on 100 kmh just below when the secondaries open. The 6 cyl is backed by a supra 5 sp, 2.7?:1 diff and 15 inch wheels (not low profile tyres ) standard it done 4500 rpm at 100 kmh, that was 3 sp auto 2.92:1 diff and 13 inch wheels, at present it does 100 kmh at the 3000 rpm mark. so anyway i'll save my pocket money and get it together.

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

It looks to be a commercially made manifold, they did make twins on the 6 from the factory. I think it was about the XB that they stopped. ( 2V head which has a separate manifold ) It was 2 single barrel's, and they used as much fuel as a 302. The good thing with the Webers is you have 2 small barrels at low RPM, but when you open it up you have 4. You get good control at Low RPM, yet have the volume for high RPM. They are a far better Carb than the rest, they use a ball race on the butterfly shafts, so no wear issues. Triple side drafts would be great, except you can have fuel surge issues and with all the extra go your mileage wont get any better. Many manifolds will be in peoples sheds, as they will have moved on to newer model cars. I hope the project turns out well, and would like to hear how it goes. I miss the old rally days, and the howl of Webers.

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]