Fordmods Logo

diff noises...how long do I have??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: diff noises...how long do I have???
Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Hey guys, got a diff problem....standard 6 cyl type borgie in an XB, but with a 351 for the last 4 years....so yes, its inevitable that its gunna die but looking to see how long....its had a leaky pinion seal for as long as I've had the car and generally drives just fine - its always been a little noisy when reversing, and today it lost a bit of traction while turning a corner and it chirped a bit violently when it bit again. Drove fine after that, then this afternoon for just a moment made a graunchy type noise but didn't seize or anything....drove fine again but I've noticed that if I coast to a stop you can hear a slight noise, again, not a gear type noise, more like a noisy pulsing bearing type noise..you really have to listen for it. There is no sideways type play in the pinion if I try to move it by hand , there IS a bit of freeplay trying to rotate it back and forth.

OK, I know that this diff will die soon; question is, if I take it nice and easy how much time do people think I've got up my sleeve? I'm thinking pinion play and/or pinion bearing slowly going south are the problem(s)....

Also, anyone in Adelaide got an old diff laying around they want to sell? I'm cool with throwing another 6 cyl diff in there, any XA-C should be fine but I think a ute or wagon XD-F diff is the same....anyone think these WON'T fit? Please let me know!! As always, thanks for your opinions in advance !!

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Post subject: Re: diff noises...how long do I have???
Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford XT Panelvan

NSW, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
Hey guys, got a diff problem....standard 6 cyl type borgie in an XB, but with a 351 for the last 4 years....so yes, its inevitable that its gunna die but looking to see how long....its had a leaky pinion seal for as long as I've had the car and generally drives just fine - its always been a little noisy when reversing, and today it lost a bit of traction while turning a corner and it chirped a bit violently when it bit again. Drove fine after that, then this afternoon for just a moment made a graunchy type noise but didn't seize or anything....drove fine again but I've noticed that if I coast to a stop you can hear a slight noise, again, not a gear type noise, more like a noisy pulsing bearing type noise..you really have to listen for it. There is no sideways type play in the pinion if I try to move it by hand , there IS a bit of freeplay trying to rotate it back and forth.

OK, I know that this diff will die soon; question is, if I take it nice and easy how much time do people think I've got up my sleeve? I'm thinking pinion play and/or pinion bearing slowly going south are the problem(s)....

Also, anyone in Adelaide got an old diff laying around they want to sell? I'm cool with throwing another 6 cyl diff in there, any XA-C should be fine but I think a ute or wagon XD-F diff is the same....anyone think these WON'T fit? Please let me know!! As always, thanks for your opinions in advance !!

Mate,I'd B get'n out th tape messer B4 I start ripp'n things apart!!XR-T diff's R narrower than XW-Y'z.and th XA-B-C diff'z are wider again.i think they stay th same arfter that.(?) half ya luck owning a XB hardtop!! lucky bugger. 8-)

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford XT Panelvan

NSW, Australia

tearlejc wrote:

P.S. I also have a 6cyl borgy in my XT pano,351c,(2V)C4,3.23:1 borgy(6cyl) I'm about to install a 4 pinyon 2.92:1 borgy,(in my work shop m/, all 2.92;1 borgyz are a V8 diff!) great for burnoutz or highway use!!

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

cheers, thanks for the reply, I put an XF ute 2:92 in there a week or 2 ago, going well!

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]