Fordmods Logo

Cruise Control ED Futura. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Cruise Control ED Futura.
Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

Hi, My cruise control is not working!!! In my workshop manual, the owner has written that a Vaccuum Pump Motor was installed to correct this.
I need to buy such an item ,then install.
Should this correct a non working cruise control? Is it better to buy a new one? The light works in the dash, and you can hear a click in the dash when turned on.
I hope someone can help with this problem.
Ian.

Post subject: Re: Cruise Control ED Futura.
Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

AC has nothing to do with cruise... He is talking about the vac pump behind the washer bottle... not the fan motor in the heater box...

The cruise light and noise from the console indicates cruise is on... It does not indicate it is set a speed...

My initial problem with my car was that the clutch pedal was broken and the clutch pedal was pressing on the cruise cancel button (or rather not lifting up far enough to get it engage)... if yours is an auto climb into the foot well and look up to the brake pedal... the higher harder to see switch turns on the brake lights... The lower switch cancels cruise... make sure the pedal is pressing the button in when your not on the brakes... If not adjust the switch...

Make sure the two wire plug is plugged onto it and also the vac line...

Next thing to check is to pop the horn pad off and make sure the buttons are properly plugged into the wheel as mine weren't plugged in when I bought my car...

And next thing is to take the wheel off and there is 3 brass pins in the back that make contact with the boss in the back of the wheel... Make sure these aren't worn away and not touching the wheel (making the buttons not work)... Your on/off works so just looking for the set coast switches...

after that your looking for trial of new components... gets complicated... maybe a vac leak somewhere...

but I've never seen one of those vac pumps fail so I doubt it'd be that...

Goodluck with it...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Thanks guys for your help. Will give me something to do. :D . Especially from timmytimtim. Ian.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

no worries matey... Like I said they are the easy to find things... After that its trial and error of replacing things hoping for the best...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:04 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Quote:
="timmytimtim"]AC has nothing to do with cruise... He is talking about the vac pump behind the washer bottle... not the fan motor in the heater box...

The cruise light and noise from the console indicates cruise is on... It does not indicate it is set a speed...

****post snipped****

The AC does kinda. When there is a vacuum leak the front selector for changing from the face to demisters to face again etc is vacuum controlled.

Also, when there is a vacuum leak, the cruise control doesnt work as you know. This is what happened to my car.

I had a dodgy vacuum line which stopped cruise control working and the ability to change the climate control functions (face and demister etc) but the light for the cruise worked and so did the clicking of the module

Hance why i mentioned AC, hence why i said change face to demister and back, hence why if at fault cruise control doesnt work, hence why i asked the question.

the a/c and heater controls are vacuum operated with vacuum from the engine...

the cruise control operates on a seperate system.. it has its own electric vacuum pump that give the cruise diaphram its vacuum...they are not interlinked in any way..

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:04 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Hi uniacidz,
thanks for your info, I am sorry that I did not reply to you in the first intance. My air con is working properly. Once again, thank you for your time in showing interest in this query. The only reason I know anything about this, is that I found a hand written note in my workshop manual, which came from a guy in Sydney, not with the car. It says, Grady,s Electrical installed vaccuum pump motor to correct cruise control not previously working.
I do not think that I will be able to do this job, as age has passed me(arthritis) etc etc etc. The worst is two knee replacements.
Cheers Ian.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:15 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EBII Fairmont Ghia Wagon

VIC, Australia

sorry to dig up an old thread, did you ever manage to figure out what was the cause of the problem yourself or via a third party looking at the vehicle ?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]