Fordmods Logo

R85 NL fairlane 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: R85 NL fairlane
Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:43 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Bazzy wrote:
also i have been informed the V8 super cars run eflex. and further to that the only time they adjust the fuel percentages in it EG lower the ethenol content is in winter months to allow cars that run on it start easyer on cold starts.

but your car is not a v8 supercar and is not tuned to run e85 like v8 supercars,
v8 supercars don't care for economy as much as a street car, v8 supercars are all about power..
just a note.. the quality of e85 the v8 supercars run is not the same as the pump e85 available..
the e85 for racing is about $500 for 200 litres, that $2.50 per litre..

like I said if you want to do it don't let us stop you , I just want to know why you want to run it????

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

There are some pretty informed opinions in here, and you would do well to take them on board. I have been using Eflex for almost 3 years, but I use it in a limited use competition car. There are not enough servos selling the stuff to make it worth while for a daily driver.

Food for thought.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:26 pm 

NSW, Australia

I agree. If hes not going for a performance gain there is no point in running it.
You will need to change fuel filters more often. You will need to change oil more often..
There is no cost efficient way to run it unless unleaded gets to $200 litre..
At the moment e85 is only 20c per litre cheaper than std unleaded..

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NA / NL fairlane, 08 honda civic

QLD, Australia

It is more I want to do this because I can. as for availability, I work within 3km of home and have 2 fuel stations that sell it close by and rarely go on trips.

however I would like to be able to fill up with regular fuel in the absence of E85

as for the Gas, I already looked at that and the injected gas has a number of drawbacks.

1. it too uses more fuel.
2. costs 5k to get installed, I was quoted as of 3 weeks ago
3. it would take me 10 years to make that back and that's only if it does not go up in future.
4. the trip computer does not work when running on it.
5. LPG is not a renewable resource, it is a bridging fuel

how hard are these J3 chips to install and do they still allow the car ECU to perform as they did before?

Question.
What is the meaning of life?
Answer.
The condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:34 pm 

NSW, Australia

Bazzy wrote:
It is more I want to do this because I can. as for availability, I work within 3km of home and have 2 fuel stations that sell it close by and rarely go on trips.

however I would like to be able to fill up with regular fuel in the absence of E85

as for the Gas, I already looked at that and the injected gas has a number of drawbacks.

1. it too uses more fuel.
2. costs 5k to get installed, I was quoted as of 3 weeks ago
3. it would take me 10 years to make that back and that's only if it does not go up in future.
4. the trip computer does not work when running on it.
5. LPG is not a renewable resource, it is a bridging fuel

how hard are these J3 chips to install and do they still allow the car ECU to perform as they did before?

well fair enough..
j3 chips are easy to install if your mechanically/ electronically minded.
using a j3 will allow your ecu to function as per factory but giving you the option to change things, you can also get a pre programed chip that would be pretty close to your needs, just let him know what your wanting to do and may be able to set up chip wise..
here is a link to the ti performance page, t-i-performance-f94/t-i-performance-q-a-t118041.html

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

Unless your going to e85 for more power its not worth the penalty in consumption, id average 12ltrs to 100km of fuel with 98/100ron (around town driving).

With e85 around town its usually between 16 to 20ltrs per 100km, both fuel types on the freeway returned very close km.

As I found out on the Bathurst cruise it was pretty good till we found some good back roads and then the economy went to s**t, pretty much lost a quarter of a tank with spirited driving going where we went.

I don't really see the point until you start pushing the engine past what is possible on regular fuels.

Now the tuning

-J3 chip tuned to suit e85 (proper e85 from united not the watered down Caltex s**t)
- 29lb ba injectors
- e85 fuel hose for intank from fuel pump to its hanger.
- I recon you could get away with the stock pump but id rather run such like the aeromotive.

Ive tuned my xr8 to run on the stuff and im a big fan of it, love the smell.

From my experience with e85 I went from a 14.9 down to a 14.7 @ wsid ( but I only ever tuned the car with 98/100ron, spark only...)

Any 'kit' that doesn't come with larger injectors I wouldn't trust AT ALL, you NEED larger injectors simply for the car to run properly and start properly.

Id spend the money on a good j3 tune for 100ron if you wanted to have more towing power (adding timing at part throttle will help immensely)

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:19 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NA / NL fairlane, 08 honda civic

QLD, Australia

sorry if this is a stupid question but would the BA injectors fit? are they not EV6 connections when my connections are EV1?

Question.
What is the meaning of life?
Answer.
The condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:29 am 

NSW, Australia

yes they will fit, while the ba injector is a ev6 type it uses the ev1 plug..

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2