Fordmods Logo

old R90e converter 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: old R90e converter
Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey guys my brand new r90e is defective so I have put the old one back in. Now it won't start on gas but I can get it running when I flick it over (almost stalls for the first 5 seconds then just kicks in and runs perfect :? ). Runs like crap on petrol for a few hours after trying LPG as well, hunts all over the place to a stalling point but that's another story (goes way a day or so of not running LPG)

I was going to take it down to the local shop for a tune but when I gave it the backyard tune I noticed the little 8mm top screw didn't do anything, infact it never gets tight, I can turn it infinitely inwards so I think it's broken? Doesn't seem to change idle or adjust anything either.

The bigger bottom one with the spring around it (called the bypass I think) is weird as well. I turn it out around 2 full turns about where the car will stop stalling and start to idle fine (it won't run below 2 turns out) but the thing is I can keep going all the way to like over 6 turns to the very end and the car still runs the same as it does with 2 turns out... It's more of an on/off switch than an adjusting screw, there's no variance doesn't seem normal at all. Is this a normal thing to happen to a 16 year old converter, I don't understand how the screws can be like this?

Last thing I want to do is have to pay for another tune on another stuffed converter I've just been through all that with the previous one (which was a $220 moot dyno tune).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Post subject: Re: old R90e converter
Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I've got it going a treat, the smaller 8mm screw is rooted but the 10mm with the spring around it was all I needed, once I managed to get it idling it was only a matter of turning that big screw in until the car started idling poorly, nipped it back a little until good idle and it seems to be driving great. But I'm left wondering if I should be concerned about leaning out the motor/valves given such a crude tune.

Funny thing is I went to randomly adjust the stepper motor and it's completely screwed in, I just got it dyno tuned as well :? the car seems to splatter and run like crap for the first few seconds after starting/swapping to lpg I need to keep the revs up to prevent a stall and 10 seconds or so later the power will kick in and it runs beautifully, almost like the lpg in the lines is stale it's bizarre. But it runs!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]