Fordmods Logo

rainoffire's EL XR6 - Finally Tuned at CVE! 

Page 6 of 6 [ 86 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post subject: Re: rainoffire's EL XR6
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

It looks like a drifter car now with those pics..................

Yep rimskins will look good - i got a set too :) - they look real good on black rims

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:16 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon

VIC, Australia

Those rimskins look pretty good, can't wait to see them on the black rims. Your rims are 19's too yeah? How do you go with getting tyres changed, can they do them without removing/damaging the skins or are they basically a set of rims skins each time you get tires? Heard people say both ways.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:07 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Havent done an update in a while, as I have been trying to cut down spending money on mods on the car and just enjoying it a bit more. So I took it up to Winton for the fun day earlier in the summer holidays. It was a ridicoulous amount of fun, plus a good chance to put to work all the modifications Ive done to the car so far!

I was really impressed with the brakes considering they are still single pot. I used them pretty damn hard, and honestly I was expecting to get 1, maybe 2 laps in before I got fade, but I never got it once, even though I had an uninterrupted run of 5 laps at one point. QFM pads really are pretty good for the money. The clutch was also perfect for track use, didnt slip or smell once, even on hard changes. It definately a lot better suited to track than drag.

Just before I took the car I also bought 2 new KU31 tyres for the front, very glad I went to the effort I was running second handies before that. It really made a big difference to grip to the point I kept being suprised that it wasnt just understeering. I think the track surface also had a big influence on this though.

However it did highlight a couple areas that need a bit of improvement, which is where I'm going to focus my attention on the car this year

LSD- Around a few of the righthanders I was getting a big single spinner on the RHS as the weight transferred off the wheel, LSD definately needs a shim up.
Power- The car definately needs a tune to get the most out of the mods, plus the power delivery is really inconsistent, can feel really quick one minute, then a lot slower the next.
Rear control arm bushes- On really hard launches or changes the diff can pivot and causes axle tramp and can sometimes even get the tailshaft to hit the floor.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:14 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

It has been ages since the last update on this thread. The EL is still going, I have been just enjoying it this year and trying to cut down on the modding a bit. However a few little things have been annoying me and I have finally got stuck into them today.

The gas system has always been a bit suss, and eventually it got to the point that one day it just wouldn't run on gas. Now that the car isn't a daily anymore, I decided to just remove it and let the engine breath properly. It also frees up a lot of space, in the engine bay and in the boot, and lightens it a bit too.

Now that the gas system is off it, it frees a couple of things up to finish off. With no intake restriction, I can finally step up to the CMS Stage 3 cam, and sort out my intake. Then its going to have to go in for a J3 and a tune, to try and get the most out of it. Not entirely sure where to go yet in Melb, but there are a few options.

Now that the gas is out of the boot, I can finally finish the boot install off. I have toned back my original idea, and now am just going for a neatish re-install of the soundsystem that I originally had in it.

The other issue that has plagued the car for a while is the upper control arms. The bushes were perished and this meant axle tramp if you dropped the clutch. It was really bad at Heathcote. So I priced up Urethane bushes, and in the end it worked out cheaper just to get new arms with bushes already in them. I fitted them up today. However I am not completely sold on them. Although the box section is larger, the wall is much thinner and the bends are not the best. Logic says they have to be at least as good as the old ones, but I am not totally sure. Hopefully this fixes that axle tramp issues though!

So finally some progress, and some future plans to work on!

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:56 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

A bit more progress this weekend on the EL. After stealing some suspension parts for the EF, I came back and relowered the EL, which was sitting back at stock height again. The first try was a little bit overzealous and it ended up too low to even turn, with a combination of lowered springs and lowered shocks. Luckily I had another set of springs sitting there which worked with the lowered shocks and got it back to a decent ride height, a little lower than it was before, but not too excessive.

This is with the rear at the right height, but front too low. It looks good, but is very impractical!

I also finally got around to fitting a CMS Stage 3 Cam to the car. The idle is amazing, but the car definitely needs a tune now! Just going to get a decent intake made up for the car then it will be ready for tuning. I am thinking of heading down to CVE to get the tuning done. It's a fair way away, but I have heard good things about them from a few people now. Very interested to see what power it gets after all this work, but I am more looking forward to smooth power delivery and clean revving again!

Post subject: Re: rainoffire's EL XR6 - Finally Tuned at CVE!
Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:58 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Well it finally came together for the EL. After installing the cam the other weekend, I was just looking for a decent air intake, then she was ready for a tune. I came across a SS inductions kit with intake pipe + KN filter during the week and picked it up. Then I rang Paul at CVE to ask him about getting a tune, and he said come in Saturday morning. So I went and picked it up, put the intake in and drove down to Hallam in the morning. We put it on the dyno and he went to work. I couldn't help laughing at the AFR on the initial run, I knew it was overfuelling, but it was off the charts for most of the midrange. Top end power was okay as it leaned out again a bit there.

Overall top end power didn't increase greatly, as AFR was pretty good there. But the midrange improvement was amazing, and driveability is like night and day. Since I put the cam in it would struggle all the way to around 4000rpm, then sometimes smooth out, sometimes not. There was no midrange while driving, and it used huge amounts of fuel. Now it pulls cleanly through the whole rev range, doesn't bog down with fuel and I can actually put the pedal down, before you had to slowly add throttle through the rev range! I will put a dyno sheet up later tonight when I find where I put it!

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

VIC, Australia

What RWKW did it pull?

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:51 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

It was 156rwkW when I arrived, and 167rwkW when I left. Found the dyno sheet, here it is. So as far as I know, Paul sorted the fuelling out, and raised the rev limiter to 6100rpm as it was still making power. I think it peaked just before 6000rpm. You can see where it hit the limiter on the green run before it was raised. The output was a little bit lower than I was hoping for, but the driveability more than makes up for that! The shape of the power curve is perfect, and much fuller than I would have thought with a cam in it. Overall pretty happy with it! Just going to keep enjoying it now :D

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

VIC, Australia

That's an Awsome result!

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:57 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Yeah I am pretty rapt! It's not often you gain power over the whole rev range, usually its in one spot at the cost of another. We will have to go out for a cruise next time there is one in Melbourne....hint hint haha

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:28 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

The cars are still ticking over. I scored a Front and Rear Pedders swaybar for the EL, so that is going in, along with a new, lower set of Lovells Springs. I will post pics up of the new ride height once it is all sorted out.

Rear swaybar with new springs and Koni red shocks makes a huge difference to how the rear of the car handles now. It does tend to go sideways much more easily, but it heaps more controllable when it does....

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 6  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6