Fordmods Logo

Missing or hesitating under load 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: Missing or hesitating under load
Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:50 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA Falcon

QLD, Australia

Is your BA/BF missing or hesitating and surging when you accelerate? I had this problem where there was major hesitation and struggling when I accelerated. In most cases, it will be one or more of your magnetic coils shorting out. They only really have a 100,000km life so it's beneficial to change the lot when one goes. There is one coil attached to each spark plug and you simply remove the head cover which is just the plastic shroud on top of the motor. You will see them all lined up with electrical wires attached. Just pull the wiring off and pull each one off the spark plugs. You can get all 6 for under $200. If you just wish to change the one which is shorting out, you can put your foot on the brake and give the car some power while someone else looks for sparks from each coil. Just look down into each hole. If the platinum or iridium spark plugs are getting towards the 150,000km Mark, this can also be a good time to change them. The one against the body can be a bit tricky but just be patient with a shorter extension bar. Remember your 5/8 spark plug socket too. Put a bit of engine oil on the new plug threads too to make it easier to get them out the next time. Tighten them firm but not ridiculous, you don't want to strip the thread of your head. Take your time and ensure the socket is firmly on the plug before trying to remove. The plug near the body, I undid it and then raised it as much as I could, held the socket in place and pulled the extension bar off and then just pulled the socket and slug out together. Patience is the key, take your time. Happy motoring.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]