Aftermarket headunits in AU's 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Aftermarket headunits in AU's
Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

I want to see some pics of aftermarket headunits in AU's, how did everyone go fitting them? Is there a Gap due to the fact the dash is curved?

Gab

Post subject: Re: Aftermarket headunits in AU's
Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

all the ones ive done i've used the aerpro facia kit, single or double din and PAC SWI if you want to use the stock steering wheel buttons

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon AU I XR8

NSW, Australia

I'm interested in a list of parts required for the job.
I bought a Sony stereo to install, but upon removing the old factory unit, found the standard double din headunit did not fit. The aerpro cables I bought, also did not fit. Are there multiple sizes for Sony?

Where and what do I buy, and I do wish to use the steering wheel controls, but I've zero experience in this matter. I wouldn't even know what to type into Google to get started researching it myself.

I'll attatch a photo of what I've got when I get home.
P.s. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, so if I should ask elsewhere, kindly instruct me so.

Owner of a 1992 EB Falcon, 2000 AU series II falcon and now a 1999 AU series I AU XR8

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Aerpro only list a single DIN headunit surround... Makes it tuper simple... Brother has one in his ute... The unit mounts to the facia and you just clip it into the dash...

I had to do a double DIN into a mates AU... Was a b**ch... There is a metal frame that fouls on the headunit and wont let it slide into the dash... Cut it out with an air hacksaw... Then I physically couldn't get a mounting system to work, I was trying to utilise the original mounting brackets so you could use the original tools to remove it... Was impossible... I ended up buying a generic double DIN slide in mounting cage off ebay from China... Two brackets that screw to the sides and then slides in clips inot the cage... Like what comes with a single DIN out of the box, double DIN's don't have one (at least this one didn't)... Then I removed the round dash section and made small brackets and pop riveted them into the sides of the dash... I had to use two 3mm ply pieces to pack the sides of the cage to keep enough spring pressure to retain the hu in the cage (cheap Chinese thing)... Once it was lined up and mounted I could refit the round dash piece in the middle and I cut two holes in the cage to be able to access the side screws holding the round section in... The unit then slide straight in and clipped in perfect... (Finally) And the included tools made removal just as easy...

Then I was left with a gap around the hu... To fill that I could've custom made a plastic section but to keep the install cost reasonable I explained to the owners that the best I could do for reasonable money was to use the single DIN mounting facia and cut it and then dress it up so it just fit around the double DIN hu... Filled the gap and didn't look too bad once it was done... I left the mounting dag on the rear of the facia and bottom slither of the pocket... So to remove it you pull the ash tray pocket out and then stick your hand in, reach up and push the facia out...

Was pretty happy with it... But didn't get any photos...

Steering wheel controls are easily retained by purchasing this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HK ... PDKIKX0DER

You hook the white wire to your wheel control output, power the read and black wires... Then program the unit... Plug it into your headunit and it just works everytime, never had a problem with any one of the numerous units I've purchased...

To the dude above... At some stages a manufacturer will change their plug... But usually they try to retain their plug for as long as possible, it's not until they run out of pins for modern features like sub outs and reversing cameras and similar that they change it...

Best thing you can do is buy the aerpro cable for your car, then get the cable that comes with your headunit in the box and just solder the wires together, you simply match up the colours, with the exception of illumination I think... Aerpro has the cable function written on it, and the manufacturer has the cable function in the book, so do double check before starting off, but most are colour matching... If you get the two aerpro cables that plug together (via std iso plugs) you end up with too much "plug" to try and get in behind the headunit as you slide it into the dash... esp when you couple that with the steering wheel interface...

If you guys need anything happy to help where I can, shame I can't get photos of the ute I did...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon AU I XR8

NSW, Australia

OK, now that it's the weekend, I got a chance to pull the dash down and have a good look at it.

All you need for a double din stereo is - nothing.
Simply cut the little lugs on the bottom half of the facia off, and square the corner out ever so slightly. I used a miniature handsaw for this, but a hacksaw might be just as useful.

Everything literally slides in place, no need to screw anything or bolt anything. If you feel a need to, there are two screws located behind the dash panel specifically for you to attach a mounting bracket (one of those L shape things with screw holes in it) but Aerpro do not fabricate any at all for the AU series, so you'll need to custom make them or find another supplier.

Oh yeah, and it appears there are THREE kind of SONY to ISO cables made by Aerpro. The one I previously bought was simply the wrong plug type, so be aware of that. Just because it's a SONY plug, doesn't mean it'll work. I needed a 16-pin small socket, which wasn't advertised on the Stereo box.

Anyway, pictures!

http://i.imgur.com/Q0zPLWd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6oYS8r6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xY2hoaq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OIZqLWB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2LMDOnJ.jpg

And that about does it.

Fitted stereo is a SONY WX-GT90BT

Required tools: #2 Phillips head screwdriver
Scissors for plastic panel (if you buy the same stereo I did)

Owner of a 1992 EB Falcon, 2000 AU series II falcon and now a 1999 AU series I AU XR8

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]