Fordmods Logo

Moving battery from engine bay to boot 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5lt Turbo NC, TE V6 Gemini

VIC, Australia

Cheers for that Overkill, thats what i've been wanting to hear, the auto lec out my way won' tell me s**t unless i pay them to do it...

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

from what i've seen there's two wires that come off positive battery, couldnt you just run a cable from positive battery in boot and join it to those two cables? do the same thing with the earth/negative :?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

skidder wrote:
from what i've seen there's two wires that come off positive battery, couldnt you just run a cable from positive battery in boot and join it to those two cables? do the same thing with the earth/negative :?

Thats the idea...i'll say it nice n simple..have 2 under bonnet cables both normally connect to positive terminal on ya batt and an earth from negative terminal on ya batt.

Somewhere under the bonnet( i have mine just up from water bottle but can use original batter location) have a distribution block with a what ever size cable in holes and at least 1 4guage cable out. Mount battery in the boot....connect 2 engine bay wires to distro block inlets and run 4 guage down the drivers side - thru the firewall or clutch cable hole....along drivers side through boot opening to positive on battery. run a 4 guage earth wire to the chasis/grounding point as short as possible.

If you can afford it and good if u run some nice gear and still only want one batt is add a second distro in the boot say one 4guage in, one or more 2/0 guage out. (2nd block is just so u dont have to run 2 cables thru firewall...more annoying and not good to have long 8 guage for this idea.) so then connect identical short length 2/0 guage from batt p[ositive terminal to distro block and the same for the earth to the ground...from the negative batt terminal.

That ensures excellent current delivery to distribution block to fire down the 4 guage and always a good idea to have battery neg and positive cables the same lengths...(earth never shorter).

This allows you to hang a 0 guage cap or what ever really close to the battery power supply with loads of cable capacity for amps etc.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

I'm curious, what's the benefit of this mod?

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Just cleaner engine bay and closer to the amps. Did it in my XD. Probably wouldn't do it again. More likely to go twin battery.

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Till_Lind wrote:
I'm curious, what's the benefit of this mod?

Gives you engine bay space. Specially if got to fit some extra goodies in there can be handy (i.e. extra pipework for the intercooler).

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

xhute0 wrote:
Just cleaner engine bay and closer to the amps. Did it in my XD. Probably wouldn't do it again. More likely to go twin battery.

Yeh and as twrc7x said its more for the guys doing forced induction mods you really have too go boot mounted bat if you go the turbo path so you can fit the pipework so much easier. That or serious audio mods cause you really need all the power as close to the amps as u can get em.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Falcon

WA, Australia

For those who have batteries in there boots , in what position have you mounted them. I was thinking about drivers side near the quarter panel , having that much weight out that far would kill any handling . I just will have to decide if i really need a spare tyre.

Never late in a stroked windsor V8

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5lt Turbo NC, TE V6 Gemini

VIC, Australia

My PS2 and stacker are on the drivers side, and ive got an amp on the passenger side, so i've put my battery in the spare wheel well... got a distribution block in the inner guard where compressor once was, ran 2 lengths of 0g from battery along passenger side sill to starter, then a length along the bottom of firewall to my distribution block. All cabling has conduit along it, ive got a circuit breaker in the boot, battery is clamped down and in a box (of course), and hid all of the old wiring to the battery, looks neat as...

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Overkill EF wrote:
For those who have batteries in there boots , in what position have you mounted them. I was thinking about drivers side near the quarter panel , having that much weight out that far would kill any handling . I just will have to decide if i really need a spare tyre.

nah dude suspension doesnt notice....youd still be keeping thebattery weight on the same side of the car where it used to be anyways.

I have my D34 in a box in the tyre well and 2x other 650c'amp odysseys angled on either side of the boot facing out in a custom mould

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:24 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Falcon

WA, Australia

have you guys got any pics

Never late in a stroked windsor V8

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Overkill EF wrote:
have you guys got any pics

I'll see what ive got from when it was being constructed but no promises...and takes to long to pull apart to get to the tyre well.

Post subject: Re: Moving battery from engine bay to boot
Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ford falcon el xr6

NSW, Australia

Would normal 4 guage amp wit do ??? And just earth batt in boot and one off block to body and just joining and shrink wrapping positive under bonnet to one that runs to boot

boosted El xr6, 3 inch exhaust, machined ba 17s, super low king springs,koni shocks, custom regring by wade cams, 5 spd manual, xtreme heavy duty clutch and now much more

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2