Fordmods Logo

Raysie's FG XR6 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Raysie's FG XR6
Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon FG XR6

NSW, Australia

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster here in Fordmods.

Just a bit of background on myself first. I have no shame in putting my hand up and saying I have no idea when it comes to cars in general. In saying that though, I've always had a love for Falcons. All modifications I make due to the above will generally be exterior changes. LOL

So why Falcons? I became a big fan first off of the EB GT in that navy blue colour. My dad bought an EB Fairmont Ghia the year it came out and pretty much overhauled the exterior and based it off the GT model. It just looked amazing (Especially for its time).

Then the AU series came out a couple of years later with not too many fans. I loved it though, and quickly fell in love with the XR look and eventually the T series look. Those T series AU's looked absoloutly amazing. That was enough to hook me into these Fords.

Anyway back to my car, I bought it last year in November with pretty much everything XR6 stock with 86k on the odometer for $15,500 (Absolutely no issues with it at all). The only difference being that it had 18" XR6 Turbo rims/tyres on it I believe (Let me know if I'm wrong). I worked my **** off with my goal of picking up an FG Falcon. It's what got me up everyday. LOL

I thought I'd show a small timeline what has since been done to it.

Below is a pic of what it looked like the day I bought it:

Car needed some sound first up. Changed exhaust system and exhaust tip thanks to Campbelltown Exhaust Centre:

Purchased a steel primed XR8 bonnet from Macarthur Auto Parts (Thought I'd test it out for a week seeing if a black on blue bonnet could work):

The black bonnet just didn't do it for me. I got the bonnet painted at Spray Fever Smash Repairs (They did a great job in my opinion):

I had a bit of a break with any changes and kept it like the above (As I was more than happy with it's look). I wasn't too sure where to go from here. I'm a massive fan of the FG GT look and often thought about one day changing the front bumper and sticker decals to emulate its look. I know it's generally not well liked in the Ford community when someone alters the look of their non-GT to look like a GT/FPV car. To be fair I can see why, in the end it ain't a FPV.... No matter how much you make it look like one.

I set myself 2 rules if I was going to begin undertaking this big change in its look.

1. Nothing but sticking with my Ford badge.
2. If decals were to be used, there be no reference to the engine or model being something it isn't.

So I purchased first off decals from Sticker Tech on eBay. They were great to deal with from day 1, and literally received everything a couple of days later (Highly recommended).

My car with silver sticker decals. Purchased from Sticker Tech on eBay and fit on by Townsend Signs:

It was time to now do something about that front bumper. Over my time in the forums here, I was lucky enough to pass by a thread in the Fibre Sports section showing off XR Falcons with GT front bumpers. I thought the look was sensational, but also different. That was enough for me to throw money on getting one myself. Fibre Sports also painted and fitted it for me as well.

Seconds after Fibre Sports fitted the GT front bumper:

Am absoloutly in love with the GT bumper. Definitely turns a few heads when people notice the XR headlights.

In the last few months, I haven't done any major changes. Mainly due to being strapped for cash at the moment! Below is what the car looks like as of right now.

After having a bit of fun with Plast-Dip:

I'm happy to hear suggestions on what I can do next and am also happy to get some positive/negative feedback.

Possible plans next I think could be:

- Sunroof
- Lowering car
- Using F6 Twisty Rims (Seem to go really well with Nitro Blue in my opinion)
- GT Rear spoiler
- GT Rear Bumper

Thanks for your time guys... sorry for the big post. :)

Post subject: Re: Raysie's FG XR6
Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Firstly, congrats on making the thread with such good pics and well laid out. I do like your XR8 bonnet and the GT look a like front bar, I don't see it as bad, if people don't like it, tough, you do. :)

I would be looking at the Rear bar like you say but, the GT spoiler? not my choice. :D
I like the rims you had when you got it but why did you paint them black? I really don't understand why people do that, maybe I am too old. I have those wheels on my AU XR6 :D

With the Sunroof, be careful. FG has the 5-star Ancap rating, if you add a sunroof, it will only be a 4-star rating. I am not sure if it makes a difference with insurance but it might be worth asking?

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:28 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Agree. I would not have painted the wheels black but also my tastes are different. Imo it spoils them. Otherwise beautiful car. :P

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

The wheels were spray painted with black plasti-dip, so very easily reversible. I won't be using these wheels for much longer anyway, I'm more a fan of big 20" wheels but thought the paintjob would at least keep me away from spending thousands on new ones in the short term. lol

I'm aware the sunroof does drop the Ancap rating, however had not taken insurance into consideration. I've been told to stay away from sunroofs, but I just find them to be so damn sexy! :lol:

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford FG XR8

WA, Australia

Raysie,

Good job on the fg mate. Do you have any more pics of your black rims from the side?

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Bonnet Bulge looks Awsome, I reckon it suits just about every falcon! GT look alike is a good way to go, some may not like it but I still reckon it has " Aussie Muscle" written all over it!

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Graeme88 wrote:
Raysie,

Good job on the fg mate. Do you have any more pics of your black rims from the side?
Yeah mate, hows this:

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Six wrote:
Bonnet Bulge looks Awsome, I reckon it suits just about every falcon! GT look alike is a good way to go, some may not like it but I still reckon it has " Aussie Muscle" written all over it!
Thanks buddy.

Soon as I got the car the first thing I was doing was getting that XR8 bonnet. Just adds such a great dimension to the FG in my opinion.

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I also like the bulge in the bonnet, one day soon I might get me one for the AU XR6. :)

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon FG XR6 Sedan

NSW, Australia

Looks real good mate, Love what you have done, I want to paint my wheels black and chuck a xr8 bonnet on it.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon FG

QLD, Australia

u reckon u can post more photos thanks

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]